[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did the Byzantine emperors have automatons ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
Did the Byzantine emperors have automatons ?
>>
>>484759
According to Liutprand of Cremona, yes
>>
>>484783
How is that possible though ?

How did they manage to build automatons and what was the power source?
>>
>>485001
they did not. what makes you think byzantines, or any older civ for that matter could make automata (robots), if we can barely create robots that can grip things properly?
>>
>>485059
The Church in The Dark Ages Destroyed alot of Old Knowledge in the fourth crusade idiot
>>
>>485059
There are reports of them existing both by byzantines and Liutprand of Cremona.
>>
>>485070
Kek
>>
In front of the emperor’s throne was set up a tree of gilded bronze, its branches filled with birds, likewise made of bronze gilded over, and these emitted cries appropriate to their species. Now the emperor’s throne was made in such a cunning manner that at one moment it was down on the ground, while at another it rose higher and was to be seen up in the air. This throne was of immense size and was, as it were, guarded by lions, made either of bronze or wood covered with gold, which struck the ground with their tails and roared with open mouth and quivering tongue. Leaning on the shoulders of two eunuchs, I was brought into the emperor’s presence. As I came up the lions began to roar and the birds to twitter, each according to its kind, but I was moved neither by fear nor astonishment … After I had done obeisance to the Emperor by prostrating myself three times, I lifted my head, and behold! the man whom I had just seen sitting at a moderate height from the ground had now changed his vestments and was sitting as high as the ceiling of the hall. I could not think how this was done, unless perhaps he was lifted up by some such machine as is used for raising the timbers of a wine press.[2]
>>
>>485070
the irony is that the humanists in the renaissance attacked the scholastics of the Catholic church for the very fact that they adhered dogmatically to the teachings of the Greeks, Aristotle especially. And no, just because the sack of constantinople led to the destruction of texts does not mean that those texts contained the kind of scientific knowledge that we possess today. The ancients were smart and did have a solid understanding of astronomy, but their models were totally wrong.
>>
File: monkBot.jpg (69 KB, 800x1202) Image search: [Google]
monkBot.jpg
69 KB, 800x1202
Were these things legit?
>>
File: NAMA_Machine_d'Anticythère_1.jpg (207 KB, 1036x924) Image search: [Google]
NAMA_Machine_d'Anticythère_1.jpg
207 KB, 1036x924
>>484759
I don't think robots, but maybe puppets that were life like? If they did exist, I'm sure the Arabs destroyed it along with many other things.
>>
>>485070
As well as the Library of Alexandria. I'm not so naive as to think there weren't advanced ancient technologies, and the knowledge to build and maintain these things haven't been lost or forgotten
>>
>>485070
>The Church
>The Dark Ages
>in the fourth crusade
No.
>>
>>485059
>hurr how could they have made the Antikythera mechanism and napalm if we couldn't before the 20th century
>>
>>485584
>Library of Alexandria
I want this to end. The christians destroyed a temple, blame them for that, because that is sure. What is not sure, that maybe, perhaps, there's a slim chance that this temple contained some remnants of this library that was destroyed even before that.

Even if those remnats were in this temple, it was an accident, because the christians targeted the pagan temple.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Historical_robots
>>
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=scd0CAAAQBAJ

A book imaginatively entitled Medieval Robots. By the looks of things, yes they did have them.
>>
>>485682
doesn't change the fact that knowledge was lost. apologetic faggot
>>
This might shock you, but medieval people could fantasize too.
>>
>>485122

The Byzantines had an idea of how steam and pressure worked. It's how they were able to create flamethrowers and grenades.
>>
The Byzantines also made Gundams. They were destroyed during the Sacking of Constantinople
>>
What if they were not automatons per se just fancy mechanical designs moving with levers and cogs and ppwered by servants? All for the sake of representative authority
>>
>>484759
Byzantines had giant flame-throwing mecha robots equipped with jetpacks , Anon
>>
>>485597
>Antikythera mechanism
overrated. it wasn't that accurate
>napalm
literally just process pitch from swamps

so, how exactly can you make a mental leap from surpising, yet modest, innovations to proposing that byzantines made robots?
>>
From what I understand, many automatons were not as lifelike as modern standards would hold, and were often just advanced puppets.
>>
>>486634
NOPE,YOU DID NOT READ, BYZANTIUM HAD FUCKING MEGA GUNDAM ROBOTS
>>
>>486644
I really want to see a byzantine gundam or zaku now
>>
Yes, they were also aryan
>>
>>486621

We don't know the composition of Greek Fire even today. If we did, it would be far superior to actual napalm, because it burned on water.
>>
>>485122
so... they had a throne that could rise and lower and statues that would make animal noises?

Seems like pretty basic shit. I'm sure the Byzantines were capable of engineering much more impressive things desu.
>>
>>490497

Other than Greek Fire, the Byzantine military wasn't much different from its neighbour's. The real difference was in the likes of combat medicine. There was a central hospital in Constantinople (Which even had female doctors), and surgeons accompanied all armies. It's all worth stating that Byzantine and Roman doctors boiled their tools before using them, because they knew that doing so somehow prevented injection. The Byzantine military was also very well organised, with standing regiments and a dedicated military administration/bureaucracy.
>>
>>490300
Napalm does burn on water
>>
The Byzantine Empire was the answer to a 2000$ question on Jeopardy today and nobody got it.

Why do the Byzantines have such awful PR?
>>
>>484759
There is no way how could they have made such machines when we did not even have electricity at the time
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.