[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who were the Celts? Where did they come from?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: celc1.jpg (4 MB, 2856x1968) Image search: [Google]
celc1.jpg
4 MB, 2856x1968
Who were the Celts? Where did they come from?
>>
An Indo-European people who conquered much of Western and Central Europe back in the late Bronze Age/early Iron Age. Like all Indo-Europeans they originally came from the Black Sea/Pontic Steppe region but Celts proper came about in the Alpine region. Look up the La Tene and Halstatt cultures for more.
>>
>>484787
I thought there was nordic blood in there?
>>
>>484832
In where?
>>
>>484832

Celts and Germanic people have some relation but there is a notable linguistic distinction.
>>
>>484676
A cultural and linguistic group that expanded into a very big part of western Europe, including significant portions of Spain and Italy. How it expanded is a matter of debate because mass migrations and total replacement of the locals is often not a popular theory compared to cultural assimilation (for a good reason). Celts were never a cohesionated or monolithic cultural group, let alone a single political entity.

Latins and germanics replaced them and they barely survive in a few small regions that were relatively far away from their original home in the Alps, like Bretagne, Scotland, Wales or Ireland.
>>
>>484865
celtic and italic languages are more connected
>>
>>484882

True, the similarities between Germanics and Celts are more genetic though there is still a significant distinction between them.
>>
>>484876
Don't forget, most of present day Germany and Austria was Celtic before the late Iron Age. And only began to take on a Germanic identity during the Roman Empire
>>
Who were the original British before the celts and Saxons?
>>
>>485572
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caledonians

Never mind, googled it. Turns out that England is a land of dying civilizations.
>>
File: 1451444748696.jpg (552 KB, 1038x1024) Image search: [Google]
1451444748696.jpg
552 KB, 1038x1024
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3377264/Irish-people-descendants-farmers-MIDDLE-EAST-Ancient-Celtic-DNA-shows-agriculture-caused-wave-immigrants-Ireland.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3000998/Are-Welsh-truest-Brits-English-genomes-contain-German-French-DNA-Romans-left-no-trace.html
>>
>>486027
(cont.) it turns out the British aren't quite Celtic
>inb4 dailymail
>>
>>486027
The Middle Eastern farmers weren't Celts, they were conquered by the Celtic herder people who became known as the Gaels.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/dec/28/origins-of-the-irish-down-to-mass-migration-ancient-dna-confirms?CMP=fb_gu
>>
>>484832
All Europeans have 'Nordic' blood at some point
>>
>>486027
Damn, I didn't think Christopher Lee was ever young.
>>
>>486027

I don't see how any of these is remotely surprising, considering.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.