[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a Poland thread? I would like to know about early
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 13
File: 1450010837420.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1112) Image search: [Google]
1450010837420.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1112
Can we have a Poland thread?
I would like to know about early Poland. Mostly the birth of Poland. All Polish info is also welcome.
I would also like to know why Poland is so religious and conservative. Is it because of Communism? Is it from being fucked over for so many years?
>>
>>484412
>I would also like to know why Poland is so religious and conservative. Is it because of Communism? Is it from being fucked over for so many years?
communsim and just a long long tradition of being religious as fuck

though of course most of the youth is fedora like everywhere
>>
File: 1450173524939.jpg (429 KB, 1172x1600) Image search: [Google]
1450173524939.jpg
429 KB, 1172x1600
>>484473
Alright. I understand. But do you know how they became really religious?
I also apologize if i dont respond quick enough. I'm busy today so i'm all over the place.
>>
>>484412
Poland has almost always had non-Catholic enemies so the church has been seen as a rallying point. Whether it be the orthodox Russians, the Muslim ottomans, or the Protestant Germans, the Catholic Church has always been a way to contrast Poland from its neighbors (read enemies).
>>
>Poland religious and conservative
misconception really, but it stems from the fact, that Catholic Church was pretty much the only legal opposition to communist government. It was a form of protest to go to church and John Paul II was the peak of this all - he was a role model and there is a cult of personality of his to this day. Some more retarded people even claim that he was the reason for the fall of communism.

As for the origins of religiosity, well, pretty much all of Polish enemies were of different faith - orthodox Russians, protestant Swedes, muslim Turks, so combine that with the fact, that in XVI and XVII centuries, you wil see that it quickly became a point of identity. During the Deluge, the most important (in propaganda and minds of most people) was the heroic defence of a monastery of the Bright Mountain, where most sacred object in Poland is held. (a pretty old icon stolen from Kiev by Hungarians)

After partitions, the leading Romantic poets started pushing some christian-mystic agenda, saying that Poland is Jesus Christ of all the nations, so that played out pretty well into the zietgheist and anti-russian sentiments.
>>
File: hodow.png (14 KB, 315x381) Image search: [Google]
hodow.png
14 KB, 315x381
>>484412
Birth of poland is surrounded by many myths and misconceptions so be carefull about any info regarding this topic.
>>
>>484782
>>484827
>>484842
Thanks anons. I'm sorry if I come of ignorant and stupid. I just found out that i'm mostly Polish. I thought I was mostly Irish my whole life. So the newfound information I found about my ethnicity has made me curious. Is there anything else I should know about Poland and Polish people? I would look at wikipediato find out but that source is mostly unreliable.
>>
>>484898
are you 1/64 cherokee amd 1/24 Nigerian as well?
>>
>>484827
>misconception really
I was in Warsaw and it was indeed religious and conservative, even compared to own my nation that is also catholic and has a long history of religiosity and conservatism. I'm not saying it as a bad thing.
>>
>>484973
lol. Nah. I'm Polish, German, Italian and Irish. 40% Polish, 20% everything else.
>>
>>485014
then you are not polish
>>
>>485025
Let me guess. I'm just a mutt then.
>>
>>485014
>>485028

You're just american or whatever, senpai.
>>
>>485028
yes? do you call a dog german shephard just because he is a mix of german shephard with a boxer?
>>
>>485033
But I want to embrace my inner Polack and be some kind of Polish weeaboo.
>>
File: 1451134153584-2.png (1 MB, 928x659) Image search: [Google]
1451134153584-2.png
1 MB, 928x659
>>485037
I guess you guys are right.
>tfw you will never be Polish
>>
nationality is decieded by mentality, not by ethnicity.
>>
rightful german/russian clay
>>
File: Slavquest+20_608c9a_4981562.png (24 KB, 991x1071) Image search: [Google]
Slavquest+20_608c9a_4981562.png
24 KB, 991x1071
>>484412
i never miss a chance to post this
>>
>>485275
>poles
>slavs
>>485206
your mother is rightful russian clay
>>
>>484973
Hey now, I'm 1/16 Cherokee don't be knocking my heritage.

>>485028
>Let me guess. I'm just a mutt then.
Yup. That's what I call myself at least, "American Mutt". 6.25% Cherokee, a bunch of German and Irish, and then probably a splash of fucking whatever.

Amusingly the Cherokee lineage is the only thing I know accurately, beyond that it's my red beard and German last name.

Mutt is really the only word for it.
>>
>>485550
americans used this ''I'm 1/X native'' bullshit to have an excuse for mullato ancestor also Cherokees lived in a small area yet americans from every corner of the country claim they have their blood in them

so sorry to break it for you but you had a nigger in your family
>>
>>485564
No, it's actual Cherokee. Great Grandfather's mum and all that, pictures and everything.

>Implying I'm a /pol/fag that gives a fuck about nigger lineage
>There probably is, but it ain't from there
>>
File: 1445143102530.jpg (47 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1445143102530.jpg
47 KB, 625x626
>>485280
>poles
>not slavs
>>
>>485611
They're wends
>>
>>485611
They're sarmatians
>>
>>485615
>>485690
and spaniards are romans and goths
>>
>>484412
>Part 1: Nothing happened
>Part 2: Blitzkrieg
>Part 3: They made Witcher 3
>>
>>484412
Kurwa.
>>
>>485752

>In Spain, a man acting with arrogance would be said to be "haciéndose los godos" ("making himself to act like the Goths"). Thus, in Chile, Argentina and the Canary Islands, godo was an ethnic slur used against European Spaniards, who in the early colony period often felt superior to the people born locally (criollos). In Colombia the members of the Conservative Party were referred to as godos.
>>
>>485783
hey hey have some respect

we made first Painkiller and Dying Light too
>>
File: Biskupin_-_gate_and_wall.jpg (711 KB, 2032x1524) Image search: [Google]
Biskupin_-_gate_and_wall.jpg
711 KB, 2032x1524
>>484412
Pole here.

In the land that was to become Poland, there lived some Slavic tribes collectively called Polanie (Polans), from "pole" (field) and "polować" (to hunt). The first remnants of civilization in Poland were gords (settlements with wooden fortifications, pic rel) which became centers of political power. Not much is known about the very beginning of Poland as a country, it's mostly myth.

Our first historically legit ruler was prince Mieszko I from the Piast dynasty and he was pretty swell overall. As pagans, Polans were bothered by the Germans and isolated from the west, so Mieszko converted to christianity and married the Czech princess Dobrawa. He also needed something to unite the various tribes of Polans and Christian monks were needed for administrative stuff because they could read and write and all.

Christianity took long to really replace paganism and many christian customs were mixed with pagan Slav traditions. Teutonic Knights later tried to use this to justify fighting an officially christian country.
>>
>>484412
Hussars going to war with these huge curved wings is bullshit, they were ceremonial. In war they wore at most one tiny wing attached to the saddle, and that's the minority. The actual "hussar wings" were very long (several meters) flags mounted on the lances. They looked kinda like wings during a charge due to the wind, and made lots of noise, almost like whips.

They also wore colorful cloth with heraldic symbols on top of that armor.
>>
>>484412
That's a big horse.
>>
>>485936
Thanks Polski. I'll look into more of what names you gave me in your post. I appreciate it.

>>486087
So do you have a more accurate image of them? Im interested.

>>486140
For You
>>
File: 1293077207553.png (3 KB, 170x184) Image search: [Google]
1293077207553.png
3 KB, 170x184
>>484412
Poland is pretty based.
>>
File: 1448213131121.jpg (79 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1448213131121.jpg
79 KB, 800x600
>>484412
Shithole of a country. Equal to turks.
>>
>>488194

Wroclaw is nice
>>
File: ZOMO 1981.jpg (999 KB, 2048x1314) Image search: [Google]
ZOMO 1981.jpg
999 KB, 2048x1314
2nd generation Polish-American here of post-WWII immigrant parents and I visited Poland in 1977 when I was 9 years old, spending the first two weeks cruising around on a tour bus seeing all the touristy stuff, then four weeks visiting one relative after another.

Early on during the tour part, we were driving along in a rural area between cities when all of a sudden as we crested a hill, the bus pulled to the side of the road, where I looked out the window to see an armored car (BRDM-2) and a jeep with some soldiers standing around.

Being a kid, I thought this was pretty cool but then heard my dad and some of of the others on the bus (all ex-pat Poles, a few with their American born kids) muttering “kurwa ZOMO!” after one of the soliders had come on the bus to talk to the tour guide. Then I noticed a hat was being passed around the bus and everybody was tossing in a couple of American dollars...

Turns out ZOMO (Motorized Reserves of the Citizens Militia, i.e. militarized police thugs) would occasionally pull over tour busses with foreign tourists and threaten to delay the bus on various bullshit trumped up charges, unless the ex-pat tourists coughed up a few bucks to bribe themselves back on their way.
>>
>>488496
That is correct.

It's much better now, but it's also not safe to go to demonstrations, since it's a well-known fact that the police (and security services) mix with the crowds to incite violence and arrest people.

I really hope PiS fixes the mess PO (the Civic Party) made.
>>
>>485014
>>485025
>>485028
>>485033
>>485037
Funny thing is no ethnic group in Europe is pure either, we're all mutts too.
>>
>>488808
Yes, they really seem deadset on creating a democratic state of law. Just looj what they are doing with the Tribunal!
>>
File: POLAND STROK.jpg (2 MB, 4739x1074) Image search: [Google]
POLAND STROK.jpg
2 MB, 4739x1074
>>484842
I had to reconnect an old hard drive to find this picture. but I knew I saved it somwehre
>>
>>484898
>I'm sorry if I'm a retard, it's only that i'm mostly Polish
Oh, it's ok then. My condolences
>>
One question I'd like to have answered is: why were the Poles so tolerant of the Jews?

Was there a time when Poland really needed a bunch of skilled craftsmen, so they said "hey, Jews! I heard y'all make clothes and shoes and are doctors and stuff right?"

And the Jews were like "uh, yeah. Why? You need your taxes done?"

"Sure, why not. Come on over. But no political office."

"Still? Really?"

"Yeah, still. But no more making you testify in court while balancing on a stool!"

"Well, that's good, I suppose."
>>
Reminder that if your family is 'Russian' and migrated to the USA in the late 19th c., then you're probably actually Polish.
>>
File: Kłuszyn_1610.png (3 MB, 1506x1000) Image search: [Google]
Kłuszyn_1610.png
3 MB, 1506x1000
>>489648
Poland had to deal with many different cultures in its golden age so the Jews just seemed like yet another of them. Except they didn't go to war with us, that was cool. At one point you could see catholic and orthodox churches right next to a mosque and a synagogue in Poland. This led to many Jews settling in Poland, and so we just got used to them. There was a period of antisemitism, but the Jews stayed until Hitler.

Actually, the whole "Sarmatian" culture of Polish nobility had huge Turkish influences.

>>486208
Kinda like pic related. Not many accurate depictions of hussars out there, most paintings of them were made later on.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.