[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are the Nordic countries so peaceful, compared to other superficially
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
Why are the Nordic countries so peaceful, compared to other superficially similar countries, such as the UK and the US?
>>
>>484245
Well, as long as you don't live in Malmo
>>
is a sample of only a couple of decades really relevant in the context of european history
>>
>>484245
Nobody living there may prevent them from raising an effective army.
>>
I'd rather live in a war torn place where men are men than some effeminate pussy place like Sweden
>>
>>484264
you got memed son
>>
>>484245

Cause they are just "supercifially similar" as you said.
>>
>>484264
It's more like Sweden is a country where even the women are men if you're being realistic
>>
>>484245
Peaceful in what sense?
>>
>>484268
>>484276
see >>484265

/int/ tier thread
>>
>>484281
They haven't gone to war since I've been alive because I have no conception of history
>>
>>484296
>>>/lit/
>>
Usually when it's cold no one cares too much about war. Except for the Mongols meme
>>
>>>/int/
>>
>>484330
This.
Its freezing here.

But I guess I am curious of what really OP means. Peaceful as in places to live, silent, safe, peaceful as in not in war or what do you mean?
>>
Something something Knights Templar
>>
>>484276
>Exceptions prove the rule
>>
>>484245
I think it's because of ideological hegemony.

It's easy to have a peaceful country when everyone more or less are indoctrinated to think that it's the best countries in the world, and everywhere else is a shithole.
>>
>>484245
Nordic countries have always been on the edge of European civilization until very recently. As late as the 30s Sweden, Norway, and Finland were decrepit impoverished shitholes in the middle of nowhere, that's why so many emigrated to the US. Once the cold war kicked in the American military provided their security and their tiny populations meant that it didn't take a lot of effort to make a functioning welfare state, which contributes to their peacefulness immensely.
>>
>>484421
>As late as the 30s Sweden, Norway, and Finland were decrepit impoverished shitholes in the middle of nowhere, that's why so many emigrated to the US.

This has been true of all European nations at some point, and isn't unique to Sweden, Norway and Finland, and it can't be for that reason alone, because the majority heritage of Americans is German, and Germany has pretty much never been an impoverished shithole.

Also, welfare statism does not function just because you have a tiny population. Welfare statism functions because you have a lot of wealth, but once that wealth goes away it doesn't work.
>>
>Viking raids
>Conquest of England
>Northern Crusades
>Conquest of Finland
>Denmark's conquest of Baltics
>Sweden conquest of Baltics
>30 fucking years war
>Polish Deluge
>Great Northern War

Peaceful at fuck. Please don't confuse "we tried to conquer everyone around but got BTFO and lost relevance" with "peaceful".
>>
>>484452
You're forgetting the 'not invading anything since the past 200 years' part.
>>
>>484452
>Please don't confuse "we tried to conquer everyone around but got BTFO and lost relevance" with "peaceful".

But it is peaceful compared to the rest of the world.

Even Germany which also was "BTFO" after WW1 and WW2 and lost it's relevance is still is vastly more peaceful than the U.S.
>>
The only bombing and riot shit the I've heard only happened in Sweds and Norways. What about the Finland? rarely heard anything serious incident on that country?
>>
>>484468
Finland has a history of kids shooting up schools.
>>
>>484472
wait what? pls don't be the second USA
>>
>>484461
>>484465
Invade what, Russia, Germany or UK? It's easy to be peaceful when your neighbors so much stronger than you.

Also I personally don't consider Finland to be Nordic, but for the sake of argument, after Winter War in 1939-1940 Finland voluntary joined Germany in 1941 and blockaded Leningrad from the North, causing 600k civilian deaths from starvation and cold. So much for peacefulness.
>>
>>484472
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_school_shooting

Damn... at least the problem came from their own, not the immigrants.
>>
>>484479
It doesn't happen as often as in the U.S but it has happened way more in Finland than the rest of the Nordic countries.
>>
>>484483
I actually think the Columbine kids were influenced by the first one that happened in Finland.
>>
What about Iceland?
>>
>>484482
>Also I personally don't consider Finland to be Nordic

Well it is a Nordic country so it doesn't really matter what you consider.

Also, the Winter War was justified in every sense. An alliance with Germany not so much.

Do you really think people are going to sit back and watch their country be invaded by Communists? I don't think so.
>>
>>484496
Iceland is even more peaceful.

Last war they had was with Britain over fish, which lasted 2 days.
>>
>>484506
Good. Cause I'm considering moving to either Iceland or New Zealand.
>>
>>484499
Of course Winter War was justified, Finland proud of it and rightfully so, considering the initial Soviet goal was total annexation. Yet their complacency in the Siege of Leningrad kinda undermine idea of "Nordic Peacefulness".
>>
>>484514
New Zealand seems like the better pick, considering all the Icelanders are coming here to Norway because of a lack of work there.
>>
>>484527
But the Nordic countries ARE peaceful m8.

Just because you can point to some event in history when they weren't, doesn't change the fact that compared to other countries today, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland are practically utopias when it comes to crime and violence in general.

The worst thing that can happen to you in any of these countries is that you might get in a fist-fight with some douchebag at a bar.
>>
>>484392
>>Exceptions prove the rule
Prove here means "test"

As in exceptions test the rule
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.