[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lies you were told
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19
File: a real mane.jpg (166 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a real mane.jpg
166 KB, 1200x1200
Anyone care to discuss various things they were lied to/mislead about regarding history at school?

How accurate would you rate your upbringing with regards to historical events?

Personal examples (these still baffle me)

>Romania is the oldest country in Europe
>Nothing noteworthy happened to Canada's indigenous populations
>Napoleon Bonaparte didn't exist, he was just a disney character (wtf?)

I graduated in 2014.
>>
>>483149
>Napoleon Bonaparte didn't exist, he was just a disney character (wtf?)

More details on this.
>>
>>483149
>There was a global flood
>>
>Marshal Plan rebuild Germany

It's hilarious how much of our history lessons sucked Uncle Sam's dick.
>>
>Hitler was a German-speaking Australian
And when I asked if she meant Austrian, I got yelled at.
>>
>Columbus discovered the earth was round

I wouldn't bring this up because basically everyone is fed this line of bullshit in kindergarten but for one of my req health classes in college the teacher repeated this line. I mean he was just saying it to prove a point but holy shit man I thought everyone had that cleared up once they exited middle school.
>>
And another-

>Most slave owners were Loyalists and King George made a personal army of slaves that he bought for the war.
>>
>>483154

I was told this one as well but I thought that a Great Flood really did happen.

>>483151

In my history lessons, there was a time in Elementary school where we were meant to be discussing French history. I recall my teacher being mostly accurate/honest but she just quickly went over Napoleon, said that wasn't his real name and that "Napoleon Bonaparte" was just a Disney character, but that he was based on a guy that had some relatively minor accomplishments.

I don't know if he was ever a Disney character but that had me fucking weirded out when I went home and googled it. Several of my classmates brought it up the next day as well and the teacher just sort of casually dismissed it and went on to the next lesson topic.
>>
>>483160

Can you imagine how surreal it would be if Hitler was a German-speaking Australian?
>>
>>483168
There was a huge flood in Mesopotamia, that's where the Biblical Noah story comes from, but it certainly wasn't global.
>>
>>483171
>There was a huge flood in Mesopotamia

Would you personally call this a Great Flood?
>>
>>483170
G'tag, mate. Wir sind die Juden auf der Barbie grillen.
>>
>>483149

In regard to Australian history:

>Frontier Wars against the natives is barley touched
>Aboriginal massacres up until the early 20th century, again barley mentioned
>Genocide of Tasmanian Aboriginals, sort of well known but not the actual details, pretty brutal forced re-location and a few massacres
>Aboriginal fixed/permanent dwellings, most are taught they were all nomadic which is false
>Hardly any mention of Aboriginal resistance to colonization

I'm no apologist (quite the opposite) but drives me nuts how most Australian's know more about American & European history than about their own country
>>
>>483170
>muh heritage fag comes over and fucks up Europe forever

Would be pretty funny. The bants would be legendary.
>>
>>483176
Yeah, probably, but the other guy said he was told there was a global flood, which isn't true.
>>
>>483186
the other guy

They even claimed that marine fossils in the Himalayas were evidence for muh great flood
>>
>>483199
wtf kind of school did you go to where they didn't believe in tectonic plates.
>>
>>483149
The history of all hitherto society is not the history of class struggle.
>>
WWI aftermath hyperinflation was due solely by Germany trying to print money to pay denbts
>>
>>483208
Creationist school in Australia, to be fair it was the religion teacher claiming this, I did do earth science which was actually taught well. but most didn't choose this subject.

Another one was that metamorphic rocks are just half way between sedimentary and igneous.
>>
>>483233
I had no idea they even had those kinds of schools over here, I know there are religious schools but thought they were forced to teach a certain amount of real science?
>>
>>483253
>
Yea they did have to, but they'd present it dishonestly, introducing natural selection immediately following Lamarck and implying they were both equally wrong.

They also mentioned Nietzsche in the religion class long enough to say 'he had syphilis therefore he was wrong'

>I had no idea they even had those kinds of schools over here

It certainly isn't the average school.
>>
>>483271
Interesting out of curiosity what state/city if you don't mind me asking?
I know east of Melbourne in the mountains there is a bunch of hard core religious communities and I assume schools.

Don't worry thou, my Australian public school history education was mediocre at best, you'd be better off watching documentaries and reading on your own time than learning in school imo.
>>
>>483168
>the flood is a global myth

Only places I heard it are the Sumerians and Hebrew cultures, both Middle Eastern.

>>483160
I had some faggot try to convince me of this. Also thought Fritzl was Australian. He wasn't trying to rile me up, he really believed it.
>>
>>483182
Denialists act like because some of the figures were inflated none of the events happened at all. Aboriginals in general are really glossed over.
>>
>>483298
Brisbane QLD.
>>
>germany started WW2
>>
>>483149
>a majority of colonists wanted independence from Britain
>this nation was founded on the principles of free speech
>>
>>483168
>american education
>>
>>483182
>>Aboriginal fixed/permanent dwellings, most are taught they were all nomadic which is false

People still seem to think that the people who predated the first farmers were nomadic.
>>
In the UK

>WW2 soldiers fought for our freedom
>we have freedom of speech
>1/3 of people are gay
>>
>>483182

>>Aboriginal fixed/permanent dwellings, most are taught they were all nomadic which is false

In fact, before farming, most people were not nomadic. It's just that after farmers take up the really good land, they push non-farmers onto more marginal land, which can only support people who are nomadic, or who practice some form of farming themselves.
>>
>>483379
>>1/3 of people are gay

What definition of gay did they use?
>>
>>483397
Ever having touched someone of the same gender.
>>
>>483404

Then 1/3 is probably accurate.
>>
>>483373
Do you mean the people who immediately preceded the first farmers?

Because I'm thought the majority of hunter gatherers were nomadic to some degree?
>>
>>483149
A man came back from the dead after three days
>>
>>483411

The majority were primarily sedentary. They were all nomadic to some degree, but even among those who were primarily nomadic, the mode was not one of leaving one area for part of the year, it was more like remaining on the move within one area.

The difference is that borders were not strict, and land could be shared, something which is not acceptable to farmers.
>>
>>483373
>>483391

They way I was taught this in high school seemed to be done in such a way to make the real impact of colonization less dramatic, as in "They were nomadic so we didn't occupy their land and they didn't put up a fight".
Australian colonization wasn't as brutal and violent as others but they way it's taught in most high schools(maybe it's changed) is pretty watered down IMO.

Like I said, I don't have a pro-aboriginal agenda or anything, just bothers me that the history taught is not as good as it should be.
>>
>soldiers will disobey an unlawful order
>>
File: 1435738424931.jpg (23 KB, 272x347) Image search: [Google]
1435738424931.jpg
23 KB, 272x347
>>483149
>>Romania is the oldest country in Europe
>>
>>483182
I learnt about Aboriginal culture in three separate years at primary school and one semester at high school. In primary it was always about the cultural side and never about the genocides, and in high school Ancient History it was about the origin of modern humans and their link to them.
>>
>>483435

This one is underrated.

It's fucking hilarious. It might work in theory but too bad the only people willing to sign up for military service are the exact type of people that would follow any order given to them no matter what.

>I'll get my legs blown off and develop severe PTSD so some politician can look tough on terror
>>
File: 1449024268609.jpg (45 KB, 540x429) Image search: [Google]
1449024268609.jpg
45 KB, 540x429
>>483168
>I recall my teacher being mostly accurate/honest but she just quickly went over Napoleon, said that wasn't his real name and that "Napoleon Bonaparte" was just a Disney character, but that he was based on a guy that had some relatively minor accomplishments.

how to make the blood of everyone with the slightest interest in history boil in 3 steps
>>
>Ancient Egyptians were Caucasian
>>
File: 1448101473976.jpg (436 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448101473976.jpg
436 KB, 1920x1080
>>483158
it's funny because you're wrong and whoever told you that was right
if there was no marshall plan two things would have happened to naziland: be tied to an impossible to pay debt (ironic since that's what's happening with broken eurozone countries) or engage another world war and probably get nuked by a major (and actual) power and finally give europe the peace it deserved once and for all...

>>483170
not much difference the main problem would be the emu war denials claiming all the emus went to resorts with tennis courts, theatres, good food and whoever says it different is blindly by allied propaganda
>>
>Celts are indigenous to the British isles
>>
>>483672
>Ancient Egyptians were Sub-Saharan or Western Africans
>>
I was taught that Christopher Columbus was a scientist who wanted to prove the Earth was round.

>>483672
>>483724
Why is /his/ so obsessed with this?
>>
>dissolution of Austria-Hungary was inevitable
>Hungary was oppressing minorities for 1000 years straight
>democracy is desirable in any way or form
>>
>>483729
>Why is /his/ so obsessed with this?
African Americans on twitter started claiming that they were the descendants of African Kings, the claims then moved to Pharaohs, to Portuguese Kings, Romans, Spartans, Shakespeare was black, Einstein was black, Mozart was black etc. Etc.
>>
>>483149
Canada here. What noteworthy thing did the natives ever do? I can think of nothing besides boiling tree sap into maple syrup and getting annihilated by the Europeans.
>>
>>483742
>Hoteps

But they don't even come to 4chan. Why is /his/ always complaining about them?
>>
>Hammurabi is pronounced "HAM-ooo-RA-BEE"
>>
>>483743

That is what I mean. In my education they only barely glossed over the whole European conquest part. They taught us about the fucking fur trade for so long and I wonder why they didn't just teach us all about the conquest.

They act like there was a pretty minor difference in culture and just a few mishaps here and there.

It would have been awesome to just go over that entire situation in depth for most of our history lessons but I suppose they are afraid to teach it to young kids.
>>
>>483417
come on dude, we all read Frankenstein
>>
>The declaration of independance was signed in Tucumán and not Buenos Aires because BA had already made many great stuff and they wanted other provinces to shine. Also representatives of all provinces went to sign

Granted, that was during kinder, later on we were taught it was because of internal turmoil (a fucking mess), and there were a number of provinces that didn't sign
>>
>>483751

/pol/ already had some thread about we wuz (mocking niggers both/either ionically and/or unironically).
The posters of /his/ didn't appear out of thin air, just like in ancient times, they migrated from somewhere else, including /int/ /lit/ and /pol/ posters who wanted to discuss history outside ocassional threads
Some of the /pol/acs here posted according to /his/'s rules, some not, but there were plenty who liked the we wuz meme (again, some ironically, some unironically)
>>
WWII. We only learned about fight with Germany while there was another front on the East with its own battles and heroes. Obviously it was even more radical in my parents' case. They feel robbed out of history. Now people can't shut up about it.
>>
>>483732
This so much. Holy shit I got murderlooks from my teacher when I told her my grandparents were staunch monarchists.
>>
>the American War of Independence was fought for democracy and freedom and a nation where men may be equal, governed by and for the people
My teacher was the biggest Ameriboo
>>
>>483869
Why the fuck does that matter? Is the entire field of archaeology just irrelevant to you because it's based around evidence gathered after the events?
>>
>>484221
Anon, he's implying the evidence is fake/was planted because World Jewry or something. You're responding to bait.
>>
>>484221
If you believe in archaeology you may as well believe in ancient aliens. The fact that people seriously are discussing ancient aliens tells you all you need to know about the "scientific" field known as archaeology.

Jokes aside, isn't it pretty obvious all the evidence would turn up after the war? I mean, it's hard investigating something when there's a war going on at the place.
>>
Not a lie, but really strange was that we spent maybe 20 mins in total on the American civil war while we spent many months on the France revolution.

All I know (and pretty much know today desu) is that Americans didn't like their taxes but instead of complaining they did the Boston tea party, and while France and the UK battled it out they took their chance to grab independence.
>>
>>483149
Lampshade and wallets made of Jew skin.
>>
>>483301
Not that guy, but humanity rising from near destruction by a flood is a really common mythical trope world-wide. No one knows why for sure, but the most accepted hypothesis is that there's something poetically resonant about the idea enough that it crosses cultures. Like an archetypal myth.
>>
>>484231
But anon, no one is "seriously discussing" ancient aliens in academic archaeology. Claiming that since the idea of ancient aliens being a thing in pop culture is present therefore archaeology is invalid, is like saying since some people believe the crap in this thread means history isn't real. Or since some people think energy is generated by spirit power means physics isn't real. Or some people believing in intelligent design means biology isn't real.

This is just an awful argument.
>>
>>483742
>to Portuguese Kings
That was 4chan. The Alberto Barbosa meme is traced back to a guy from straya that was angry at the Portuguese.
>>
File: 1428788482011.jpg (98 KB, 610x556) Image search: [Google]
1428788482011.jpg
98 KB, 610x556
>The Illiad is about a man called the Odyssey
>>
>>483149
Did I go to the only good Highschool in the US or something? I was never told anything incorrect, just given the "cliff's notes" narrative for the most part.

My AP US History teacher was pretty based. He spent a half an hour on the first day explaining his conservative bias, saying that he was going to be three times as biased as all our other liberal teachers to counteract the school system's liberal bias.
>>
>>483182

Why does no one ever mention the fact the Maori warriors actually kicked ass?
>>
>>483149

>WW2 was good vs evil
>The Holocaust happened
>The British Empire was evil and massacred locals
>The American Civil war was about slavery
>"We won the Vietnam War"
>communism is evil
>Margaret Thatcher eat babies
>all forms of monarchy and autocratic governments are bad, ineffective and evil
>>
>>484338
>to counteract perceived bias I won't seek a balanced, nuanced synthesis, I'll feed the kiddies what my camp is supposed to think
>""""good""""
>""""based""""
>>
>>483149
>Romania is the oldest country in Europe

How is this wrong? It might not be *the* oldest, but it's certainly one of them.
>>
>people laughed at columbus because he thought the world was round, not because they thought it was round while he thought it was sort of pear-shaped and much smaller than they (correctly) thought it was
>nobody knew the world was round until well into the middle ages
>napoleon was very short
>roy orbison was blind (dunno if that counts as 'history' but w/ever)
>the church has a long and consistent history of bitterly opposing scientific progress in all its forms
>french people are cultured, sophisticated and egalitarian as opposed to bigoted, chauvinistic morons
>>
>>484383
Key words: "one of", OP's lie implies it is THE Oldest, as in no country is older than Romania.
>>
>>484278
> Jokes aside
>>
File: kuge02.png (278 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
kuge02.png
278 KB, 360x360
>People didn't know about gravity until Newton
>People didn't know the world was round until Columbus
>The crusades are clearly defined and were all unjustifiable acts by hordes of barbarians against noble, honest Saracens
>The Dark Ages were a time of great regression
>The Roman Empire fell with Rome
>The pyramids are noteworthy buildings
>The Soviet Union and the US are equally responsible for the Cold War
(The Soviet Union was more to blame)
>The British Prime Minister was not incompetent and couldn't do anything but appease Germany, thus lead to WW2
>Genghis Khan did nothing wrong; he killed and cucked millions of Chinese, and extinguished entire MIddle Eastern kingdoms, but never mind that. They are le exception xD
>The Spanish were dicks for prohibiting Islam and Judaism after repelling foreign forces that attempted to colonize their native lands for years
(Jews weren't responsible as far as I know, but the expulsion was not unreasonable, considering the situation Spain had been in for years, and the distrust they would have grown for these new members)
>The use of the Atomic Bomb on Japan was senseless, wholly malicious, and done for shits and giggles; America should feel ashamed
>The Vietnam War was at the time clearly a mistake, and the people who began the war were big doodooheads, as opposed to clearly being a mistake in retrospect
>The Viet Cong did nothing wrong
(American troops did a lot wrong too, I know, but people assume that the Viet Cong were good to the locals, despite the fact that they were Communist)
>>
File: 6yTvpCHfp3JfqIPv70XSzu5CkVMxr.jpg (123 KB, 405x466) Image search: [Google]
6yTvpCHfp3JfqIPv70XSzu5CkVMxr.jpg
123 KB, 405x466
>>484599
I didn't word my last sentence well.

I meant to say:
Despite that they were Communists, people assume that the Viet Cong were nonetheless good to locals, and not ass holes who led to hordes of Vietnamese deaths.
>>
>>483328
It really did though. Maybe the aftermath of WW1 that led up to it wasn't their doing but they were definitely the aggressors in WW2. Unless this is some dank /pol/ meme I don't know about
>>
>>484599
>The Soviet Union and the US are equally responsible for the Cold War
>(The Soviet Union was more to blame)

I'm willing to sympathize with Russian territorial paranoia somewhat, considering their multiple, concurrent 'Red Dawn' scenarios throughout history and in living memory.

>Genghis Khan did nothing wrong; he killed and cucked millions of Chinese, and extinguished entire MIddle Eastern kingdoms, but never mind that. They are le exception xD

FUCKING WEATHERFORD.
"lol sure the Borjigids and their descendants decimated humanity multiple times but they did it indiscriminately instead of religiously so they are the most liberal open minded conquerors ever lol"

>The Spanish were dicks for prohibiting Islam and Judaism after repelling foreign forces that attempted to colonize their native lands for years
>(Jews weren't responsible as far as I know, but the expulsion was not unreasonable, considering the situation Spain had been in for years, and the distrust they would have grown for these new members)

MUH LAND may be understandable, but it's still a shitty justification.

>The Vietnam War was at the time clearly a mistake, and the people who began the war were big doodooheads, as opposed to clearly being a mistake in retrospect
>The Viet Cong did nothing wrong
>(American troops did a lot wrong too, I know, but people assume that the Viet Cong were good to the locals, despite the fact that they were Communist)

The Vietcong were monsters, and South Vietnam was a shit government (although to a way, way, way smaller degree). In retrospect, I'd be all for supporting the south and containing the Vietcong, but the American plan seemed pretty aimless, and the casus beli was some nonsense shit.
>>
>>484629
>Unless this is some dank /pol/ meme I don't know about
Sorry to say it but:
>le pol boogieman

It's a common mistake to take the middle-road answer, in this case the "all powers had equal blame for the war" approach. It seems more correct because it appears less biased. It's also less confrontational, which makes it easier to pick.
>>
>>484643
>>484599
Didn't the Reconquista take place over multiple centuries, or at least generations? Not saying it couldn't have become a facet of the culture, but people tend to treat it like the Spanish just up and said "Hey, we changed our minds about y'all" and the Moors just went "aw shucks, guess we're oppressed now" and packed their bags the next day.
>>
>>484607
Vietnamese attitude towards Vietcong is little different.

Much like with various nationalist rebels of the past nobody cares about what did they do, the most important thing was that Vietcong guaranteed them independence from foreign powers while every other alternative was equal to getting USA/France approved governor. Which was the reason why communists easily gained traction in Latin America or Africa as well.
>>
>>484599
>>The pyramids are noteworthy buildings

How are they not? The Great Pyramid was the tallest structure in the world for like 3,000 years.
>>
>The British Empire/imperialism was bad
>Nothing of note happened between the Roman Empire adopting Christianity and the Norman Conquest (not actually ever said but implied by the curriculum).
>>
>>484696

Exactly, actually there were Muslims and Jews living in the Christian Spain for centuries.
>>
>>484744
>Much like with various nationalist rebels of the past nobody cares about what did they do

Tell that to the millions of people who fled Vietnam after the war, or the relatives of the people the Vietcong executed or put into a camp.

>>484762
>The British Empire/imperialism was bad

It was bad, because more often than not the people in colonies were treated as second hand citizens, and infrastructure was usually built just to extract resources.

People look down on imperialism because most colonial empires were trash.
>>
>>484325

to be fair, his name was Odysseus.
>>
>>484372
>perceived bias

>>>/out/
>>
>>483754
How is it really said anon? I've always said
>HAHM-oo-ra-BEE
>>
>>484762
>Colonial troops were better in every aspect than British troops
>>
The Crusades were fought over lamb.
My 6th grade history teacher brought this up.
>>
>>484995
People think that? Then how do they explain them becoming colonies in the first place instead of just kicking them out?
>>
File: apes.jpg (50 KB, 711x411) Image search: [Google]
apes.jpg
50 KB, 711x411
>>483729
>I was taught that Christopher Columbus was a scientist who wanted to prove the Earth was round.
I also heard this, fucking Victorians and their fictional reality.

IRISH ARE NOT WHITE, BUT EVOLVED NEGROES
>>
>>484221
>entire field of archaeology
ENTIRE FIELD OF PROPAGANDA
>>
>>484273
Ice Age melt.
>>
>>484599
>>Genghis Khan did nothing wrong; he killed and cucked millions of Chinese, and extinguished entire MIddle Eastern kingdoms, but never mind that. They are le exception xD
He largely fought against other Nomadic groups.

The Khwarezm Empire was Turkic. The Chinese that he sacked were also Nomadic dynasties that invaded China.

Genghis didn't sack the Abbasids.
>>
>my country's flag is green and yellow because muh Amazon and muh Gold
>we only produced sugarcane, then gold, then coffee
>>
>>484599
This is the one I don't get. Aren't they pretty noteworthy?
>>
>>485023
>The Crusades were fought over lamb.
and arable land, but pretty much
>>
>>484599
>>485509
>>484757
They are noteworthy, I think he meant "relevant"

8/10 list
>>
>>483154 >>483168 >>483301 >>484273 >>485331
>destruction by a flood is a really common mythical trope world-wide
>Ice Age melt.
these.

Think about it, memes travel faster than genes, it doesn't take long for events to propagate if it's a "dank meme":
If a brazilian native hears a croatian leyend about a snake that ate a pig and shat the stars, the story might not resonate with the brazilian
But for people from +10,000 years ago, when you lived more exposed to the elements, the idea of having all your shit swept by water is pretty fucking scary, having all your animals drown, your crops destroyed, your mud hut... mudded.
That is why deluge stories are so relatable, and it's an image that travelers won't get out of their heads; What if the ground collapses, what if some day it rains without stopping until there is no more footing? These are very versitile, scary, impressive and relatable stories; very "dank memes", a basic staple of storytellers.

And floods actually happen all around the world: Japan and all the pacific islands have Fukushima-level tsunamis every century; imagine what the largest of those was in the last 10,000 years.
And there is reason to believe that one of the greatest human migrations was due to the spilling of the mediterranean into the Black Sea (which would explain the distribution of the Proto IndoEuropean language root). Just imagine a civilization comparable to Mesopotamia, all having to pick up their shit and leave because their fertile lake turned to salt, and started flooding their crops
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_hypothesis
>>
>>485577
>meme history
>>
>>485593
>what is a meme
>>
>>484255
I heard they made soap too
>>
>>485541
They're relevant if you consider all of the tourist shekels they bring to the country.
>>
>>483168
>said that wasn't his real name and that "Napoleon Bonaparte" was just a Disney character, but that he was based on a guy that had some relatively minor accomplishments.

how does someone like this become qualified to teach children
>>
>>483149
>the American Civil War was fought over slavery
>>
>>483149
>after the fall of the roman empire, there was an age of generic medieval stuff like knights and vikings, then suddenly the enlightenment out of nowhere and colonialism
>nothing really relevant happened during those medieval times so they're called the "dark ages"

fucking american school curriculums
>>
> the Incas
> the Aztecs
> the Mayas
> long ago all peoples lived together in peace and harmony
> THEN EVERYTHING CHANGED WHEN THE SPANISH NATION ATTACKED
>>
>>486008
Studying to be a teacher of religious studies here.

Only me and one girl in my class have actually read any holy book cover to cover. When our teacher told us to design some lesson plans concerning bible stories, the question was asked: "But what if you don't know any?"

Most of my classmates will pass and get their teaching licenses. I weep.
>>
>>484179
Where do you live?
>>
>>486053
>>483149
>american school curriculums
i felt like this too, in Argentina.

Is the whole "the middle ages were boring and stagnant" a French Revolution meme? i feel like the illuminism was unnecessarily hard on the medieval period
>>
>>486091
>Studying to be a teacher of religious studies here.
Every religious studies teacher I've had was a complete fucktard. I'm not one of those atheist douchebags, but it seemed to me the only reason they became teachers is because they couldn't handle the curriculum or life of priests or nuns.
>>
Wars are fought for moral reasons, and have good and bad sides.
>>
>>486114
In my experience, most of my classmates are in it because they have something to do with religion in their daily life(which could literally be as vague as a religious boyfriend or girlfriend) and thus they go with "fuck it, I can teach it."

My previous teacher was a retired priest and based as all hell. He left to do bigger things, but my new teacher is a politically correct piece of work who, for example, says "Islam" should not be translated as "submission" because this might be misinterpreted. As a muslim, this makes my blood boil.
>>
>That U.S.A defeated the nazi army.
>>
File: MonsoonI4.png (563 KB, 933x769) Image search: [Google]
MonsoonI4.png
563 KB, 933x769
>>485577
>>485593
>>485598
>>
>>483168
Maybe the teacher knew nothing about the Napoleonic era so they just constructed a lie so that they didn't have to teach it in detail.
>>
>>485593
How can memes be real if our history isn't real?
>>
>>485598
A miserable little pile of dankness!
>>
>George Washington fought for freedom.
>Abraham Lincoln cared about niggers.
>Martin Luther fought peacefully against the shit Catholic Church used to do.
>>
Jet fuel can melt steel beams.
>>
>OP is not a faggot.
>>
File: The_Gerry-Mander_Edit.png (697 KB, 1764x1847) Image search: [Google]
The_Gerry-Mander_Edit.png
697 KB, 1764x1847
>>486118
why is it taught like that though? I understand it in primary school, but even in high school, or for fuck's sake college, it is somewhat like that

Hate and memes aside, if there is one thing that /pol/ is good for is for realizing how fake the world is. No matter what side of the narrative you adhere to, you gotta admit there is always someone scheming and deceiving somewhere. And yet, this simply fact is not taught in school.

Fuck the French revolution and its ideals, fuck the little stuff about the world war. I wanted to be taught about the Russian intelligence program, about COINTELPRO, about MKUltra, about the constant stream of political hackers that are outed every year, be it Russian, Chinese, Japanese, or French hackers. In school they just tell you "yeah, Mussolino was a demagogue", but they never present you an example of the acting mechanisms of demagogy I never learned about the Soviet program to spread communism, or how the chinese infiltrate dissenting political parties, or about the UK-backed military operations to kill someone. They should teach about the Madoff ponzi scheme, the Dutch "tulpenmanie", the South Sea Bubble.

Look at pic related (Gerrymandering). This kind of blatant bullshit is done every other day, but from history class I got the idea that countries decide and act "as a whole", like it's not hundreds of peoples with wildly different views screwing each other, and politicians claiming to be the peoples voice drive economies to hell, and nations to war.

These are the things I wanted to learn about, if only in passing, to know they exists in every corner.
>>
Muh soap bars and lamps

Even some shit about hitler being a fucked up cannibal
I really do wonder where she got all that information
>>
>>486304
>why is it taught like that though?
It's easier to justify to the masses (and motivate them) than the real reasons behind it
>>
>>483446
WE WUZ CEASARS N SHIT
>>
>>486304
>why is it taught like that though?
Because time and budget are limited, to say the least.
>>
>russia won world war 2 not american supply lines and mass produced weapons

epic fucking contrarian meme

its just butthurt anti-freedom marxist euros that spout this shit
>>
>>483650
>>483435

But it's true. Soldiers will also disobey lawful orders. It's a matter of discipline, indoctrination, and where the soldier's self interest lies. Part of the reason we don't allow looting anymore is so soldiers won't ignore orders whenever they see valuables/women/small children.
>>
>Colombus discovered murica.
>Natives are called Indians.
>>
>>486552
Europeans colonized the muricas.
>>
>Spartans were dicks, the Athenians were the founders of democracy and good guys
>Hannibal faffed around for no good reason when he could've taken Rome easily
>Didn't hear anything about Byzantium, did hear a lot about the Franks
>teacher couldn't even pronounce Quetzalcoatl
>>
>>486575
>>Hannibal faffed around for no good reason when he could've taken Rome easily
My school was also guilty of that.
>>
File: destroyer of worlds.jpg (38 KB, 432x361) Image search: [Google]
destroyer of worlds.jpg
38 KB, 432x361
>>483168
>Napoleon Bonaparte was a Disney character
>>
>>486583
pls enlighten me on this? Remeber to hear this on history channel lawl
>>
All they talked about in school was Industrial Revolution, little Middle Age, no Rome, no nothing, plus my professor defended the crusades.
>>
>>486367
That's why people who know stuff don't say U.S.A nor Russia won, It was the Alliance that defeated, every one played their part, but when it comes to devastating the nazi army, it was Russia that did a great deal of it, marching against Berlin after Germany attacked them.
>>
>>486304
Gerrymandering is fucking annoying, if political and administrative boundaries match up it leads to having to collect your post in a town 10 miles away because the delivery office 1 mile away is in a different administrative region.
>>
>>483168
Where the fuck did you hear that Napoleon bullshit, because that's some sub-US education. Are you Liberian?
>>
>>483168
>in elementary school
>went home and Googled something
>was in elementary school by the time Googling became a thing
How old are you, OP?
>>
Only ones i can think of
>Italy is the oldest country in Europe
was told that in fucking middle school too so no excuses for that one
>America saved Europe in WW1
>The French surrendered in every war
>Japan was a colony of China
had an afrocentrist as a substitute one day, she also ranted about how egyptians were all black and arab egyptians are a european myth but that one is too laughable to count
>>
>>486699
but again, imagine if the Nazi's had more manpower and had managed to subdue Britain? would Russia have had the same level of success without American manufacturing keeping the western front a problem?
>>
>>486202
>>>/pol/
>>
>>486034
This. The Civil War wasn't about slavery. Only a third of southern families owned slaves. What it was really about was maintaining an order of white supremacy that benefited all white southerners.
>>
>>488269
Fuck off, you're just as bad as what you try to criticize. And guess what newfag, the word "nigger" has been commonplace on this site for years before /pol/ even came into existence.
>>
>>483182
Is this a joke?
I learned about aboriginal history in pretty much every year of school
>>
>>483379
>1/3 of people are gay

Who actually said this and what did they say?
I don't think it's close to 1/3 but since a lot of people are closeted the numbers are fuzzy at best.
>>
>>483742
They weren't black, but they weren't white either.
>>
>>483379
>1/3 of people are gay

You're right, that would be way too low for Britain
>>
>>488444
Can someone give me a definition of what white even is?

If Caucasoid, then yes, they were white.

If blonde, blue-eyed Nordic Aryans, then no. But I don't think whiteness was that exclusive at any point of historu.
>>
The most idiotic theory I've ever encountered was that the Teutonic knights were some kind of proto-Hitlers who waged a genocidal to purge the eternal Slav. I mean it's utterly ridiculous to even ponder if you know anything about those crusades but there are some Russians and Poles who legit believe that shit.
>>
>>483154
A great flood

Look. At the Grand Canyon that was once filled with water. either water went somewhere else or an earthquake happened to lift the canyon walls up. Which would push land and water to create rough waves. Also the Colorado River has some of the oldest bolders pushed from the center of the earth they say. so how would the be pushed upwards if no quake?
>>
>>489086
I can understand wanting to purge Slavs, though. They're the niggers of Europe.
>>
>>489178
Those are the gypsies. Also the irony is that the northern crusades were funded by Slavs themselves. Konigsberg is named after a Czech king who founded it, for example.
>>
>>486552
>tfw the official politically correct term as decided by the people in question is "American Indian"
I just don't get it. Are they trying to rub his mistake in our faces or something?
>>
That Hitler did something wrong.
>>
Oh, and that Native Canadians have an interesting history.
They were also justified in every war theyve been in.
>>
>>489225
I read somewhere it was because Indian come from an honest mistake, Colombus believed that he discovered a way to India, and they prefer that over any other made-up political correct word.
>>
>>484338
I had pretty good history education growing up in the US, too. Only thing I remember a teacher getting wrong was that my government/economics/history teacher in HS kept getting the terms "blue collar" and "white collar" mixed up. (Well, he also believed that the Chinese ate fetuses due to that urban legend, but that's neither here nor there.)

There was also the fact that I MLK Jr. was on the penny for years, but I'm pretty sure that happened because I misheard something in kindergarten.
>>
>>484255
>>485653
First time I heard this was from a tour guide at a Holocaust museum. Thankfully, a history professor I had at the time managed it, and she flipped out when I mentioned that to her.
>>
>>488285
Where do i read more about this? I'm not from north america, but this shit sounds pretty interesting.
>>
>>488285
It sure didn't benefit the poor whites.
>>
A teacher I once had said that Alexander the Great was a Roman.
>>
>>489364
>It sure didn't benefit the poor whites.

The same thing happened in Haiti. Owning people didn't matter as much as having someone on a lower level than you.
>>
>>484696
Reconquista was a constant struggle since the time of Charlemagne and only ended during the reign of Isabella and Ferdinand in the late 1400s.
>>
>>489379
It's not really a lower level if you are more disposable than a nigger. For example the Irish were given the most hazardous work because the wealthy wouldn't risk a life of an expensive slave.
>>
UK

>WWI was a war for freedom
A govt minister said this.
>>
>>489389
>The Irish slave meme

Irish indentured servitude and black slavery are very different, not only because of the rights of each class of worker, but the intensity of the work they were given and scope of the transatlantic slave trade.

For example, in Haiti, slaves were thought of as disposable, and most only managed to live for 1-3 years.
>>
>>484346
>Why does no one ever mention the fact the Maori warriors actually kicked ass?
because they also genocided other tribesmen and occasionally ate them, and the only reason whites are taught about non-whites is to instil white guilt and promote the 'noble savage' dogma.
>>
>The Battle of the Alamo was part of the Mexican American War
>The Alamo was a battle where evil Americans slaughtered a force of Mexicans protecting the Alamo
???????
>>
>>489401
Who mentioned indentured workers you strawmanning retard? I'm talking about wage laborers.
>>
>>484184
>>the American War of Independence was fought for democracy and freedom and a nation where men may be equal, governed by and for the people

Well, was it not?
>>
>>486575
>>486583
you don't know that he couldn't have. For all anyone knows the Romans would have tried to sue for peace if Hannibal had marched his army right up to their gates after Cannae. Given that Rome had just sent off the largest army they had ever assembled, if they had seen the Carthaginian force march over the horizon and been confronted with the fact that their forces had been slaughtered almost to the last man, they might well have surrendered.

Even if they didn't, Hannibal could still have besieged the city. Even without the equipment to storm the walls he could still have starved the city into submission, and Rome's Italian allies might well have been a lot more willing to go over to the Carthaginians if Rome itself looked as if it were threatened.
>>
>>489431
...that's even dumber.

>>489432
Depends on your outlook. British colonial policy was unsustainable and retarded, but there were a ton of material concerns outside of just 'OUR FREEDOM', and the American democratic (republican) appeal of the 1700s isn't even close to what we'd consider ideal today.
>>
>>489432
America's early voting was entirely controlled by aristocrats. What they wanted was home rule, not equality-for-everyone democracy. That's why initially all they wanted was a position like Canada holds today, some independence with the Queen still as head of state
>>
>>489401
It's funny, I have one or two professors who specialise in the Atlantic slave trade, and they were telling me how it sucks that English really lacks the word to capture the nuance that comes with the huge implications of the word 'slave'. Like how this word is used for the Mamluks and chattle slavery, for instance, when they're really different institutions being described.
>>
>>489432
It's good to be suspicious of the aspirations of a revolution where the society's class structure and hierarchy are basically untouched by it.
>>
>>489432
>Well, was it not?
no. no it was not. The rich didn't like being taxed, the common people didn't like being prevented from starting wars with the Native Americans to take their land.

And it's somewhat ironic that it's gone down in history as a war for democracy when if you'd polled Americans at any point during the war you probably wouldn't have even got a majority for independence. Democracy only worked after the war because they'd already expelled all the Loyalists.

Democracy was only settled upon after the war. The founding fathers had originally intended to keep exactly the same government system that they had before the war, only people who owned a certain amount of land could vote. The only difference was that they would replace the government in London, which they resented looking over their shoulder meddling in what they saw as the sovereign state governments, with the Federal government which they originally intended to be just a place holder. But once you've got everybody to fight a war for 'freedom' it's kind of awkward (and dangerous) to turn around to the people who did the actual fighting and say 'we meant our freedom, not yours'.
>>
>>483179
underrated post
>>
>>486034
Oh for fuck's sake. http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarsec.asp
>>
>>489722
be a pal and throw us a tldr
>>
>>488217
>Operation Sealion
>Succeeding.
Anon, pls. The Nazis were never close to achieving the requited naval superiority over the Channel.
>>
>>489734
South Carolina's declaration of secession; explicitly mentions interference with slavery (lack of enforcement of fugitive slave laws in the north, etc.) as a cause for sucession.

Here's a few other states' declarations explicitly mentioning slavery as well. http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/primarysources/declarationofcauses.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/#
>>
>>483308
Ever go to the Mana Bar?
>>
>>486676
Basically, when Hannibal reached the italian peninsula his forces weren't strong enough to invade the roman cities, even if he controlled the countryside
>>
File: 1442769371211.jpg (26 KB, 442x332) Image search: [Google]
1442769371211.jpg
26 KB, 442x332
>Carthage stopped using their military navy overall after losing the 1st punic war
Never again
>>
>>489812
they taught you about the punic wars in school?
>>
>>489834
Well, we more of just glanced over it, best I can remember my teacher saying
>1st punic war Romans were getting shrekt by navy but then they copied the Carthaginians and won
>2nd punic war Hannibal wanted revenge so he travelled through the ebin alps with his elephants but then lost
>3rd punic war Rome sacked Carthage
Sadly the teacher didn't even talk about how badass Hannibal was, probably could've sparked a shitload of interest if she had mentioned Battle of Cannae, or how he had lost an eye.
>>
>when germans got defeated turks were also counted defeated

Biggest history meme
>>
>>483379

Same. I was litterally shocked to read a entry on the People's War site where the guy hated the army and being called up effectively ruined his life, even though he never saw combat.

I'd always been taught all the Tommies were keen, heroic crusaders who couldnt wait to get stuck into the Hun.
>>
>>483226
Not saying you're wrong but what else caused it?
>>
>>484995

Reading some current articles and books, you'd be forgiven for assuming there were no actual British soldiers involved in either war.

>Muh Indians in the trenches
>Muh Polish pilots defeating the Luftwaffe5
>>
>>484360
I by no means staunchly disagree with holocaust deniers, but I personalty think there's enough evidence to justify saying it actually happened, but I'm really curious to hear why you think it didn't happen.
>>
>>486677
What do you mean by defended the crusades? The crusades were rather pointless, but frankly I'd rather a christian controlled Europe
>>
>>489974
JIDF detected.
>>
>>490025
Is this bait? I said I don't staunchly disagree with holocaust deniers (unless that's some sort of taboo word among people who think the holocaust didn't happen) I by no means have Jewish sympathies.
>>
>The Roman Empire just spontaneously collapsed
>America won Vietnam
>American Civil War was completely black and white. The good union people fought because of how much they loved black people and the evil confederates were led by KKK members and would use black babies as alligator bait(Wish I was joking; bitch didn't know about Jefferson Davis)
>Ben Franklin invented Electricity
>Thomas Edison invented the light bulb and all electronic with no help from Nikola Tesla; the only thing Tesla did was fuck around and then die
>This is perhaps the weirdest; the Nazis chose the Swastika because it symbolized a broken cross because they hated Christians.
>Modern Feminism is a good thing keeping women in the workforce
>Israel has done nothing wrong ever
>American Revolution was also Black and white; Colonists were fighting the evil facist redcoats who massacred civilians and killed children.
>Versailles Treaty was 100% fair
>Hitler is the worst dictator in history; but Stalin and Mao did nothing wrong(Don't mention great purges and skim over the Great Leap Forward)
>Saudi Arabia does nothing wrong
>France and Spain did nothing to help us in the American Revolution
>Only Thomas Jefferson had slaves; none of our other founding fathers had them
>Crusades were ebil christians against the poor muslims
>No mention of the Barbary Wars
>No mention of the War of 1812 except White House burning and the Battle of New Orleans
>No mention of the Eastern Roman Empire
>2nd amendment applies to muskets only
>AR-15(Which obviously stands for assault rifle not Armalite) can fire 200 rounds in 4 seconds.
My middle school was a christian/evangelistic indoctrination center while my high school was a liberal/america and communists did nothing wrong indoctrination center.
>>
>>490032
It's obviously bait; don't bite.
>>
>>489952
Juden
>>
>>484244
Assuming you're a euro then that's good enough for general studies
>>
>>483149
As an American
>George Washington was an excellent general
>The French gave the United States massive amounts of support during the revolutionary war.
>The United States singehandedly won World War I for the battered British and French.
>US politics and government is always fair and there were no losers in American history.
>The United States wasn't a 'bad guy' during the imperialist era.

Took me until Junior year Advanced Placement US History until the propaganda dissolved. Honestly, this country is going to shit if we keep raising kids with this pro-american identity. America has gone from its humble backwoods tradition to 'everyone is a winner' in America.
>>
>>490106
Sorry that post seems really self-hating and cynical. No I'm not asking for us to be sweds and tear down our flag and resent our country, I just want a humble culture where people aren't fixated on the idea of being 'top-dog' in the world.
>>
>>490037
>The civil war was black and white
I fucking hate this so much.
My little sister is still in grade school and all they preach and moan about is the evil and degeneracy of the Southern people and how the North 'loved blacks'. Really pisses me off.
>inb4 I'm a redneck
No, I think the South fought for a dying and stupid cause, but people lack any perspective. Owning a slave back then was their idea of success and social mobility. When the north sought to abolish this, it understandably upset the majority of southerners.
>>
>>486114
>>486114
This. And this is coming from a devout Orthodox Christian. "Religion teachers" and professors are usually retarded as fuck, and have absolutely no concept of either theology or history.

My girlfriend's religion professor teaches them that everything with the antecedent "possibly." She said she asked him why and his honest answer was "Well were you there? No? Then you don't know what happened."

She had to right an essay on why Constantine "may" have been Christian, I shit you not.
>>
>>484599
I don't view the Vietnam War as a mistake(aside from the creative naming)
It was strategically fucked but I blame the whole situation on French imperialism.
We should also have tried to learn from their troubles pacifying indochina
>>
File: 2buggin.gif (909 KB, 400x361) Image search: [Google]
2buggin.gif
909 KB, 400x361
>Egypt was completely black
>Sub-Saharan Africa was all tribal and stone age until Europeans kicked their asses and enslaved everyone
>Kwanzaa is a East African holiday and has everything to do with us, despite the fact that us Black Americans are mainly a mix of mostly West African and European descent
>Kwanzaa is old

Growing up in the inner city sure was fun.
>>
>>488961
rekt
>>
>>490158
Isn't it mostly /pol/ types who argue that Sub-Saharan Africa was tribal and stone age?
>>
>>488981
White is a vague term to describe light skinned European Caucasians.
>>
>>489438
Good point, anon. We really just don't know how thing would turn out.
More importantly, he thought he couldn't because he was being fucked over at home
>>
>>486034
But it was.
>>
>>490169
Not that guy but it's mostly people who perpetuate the noble savage myth. Where they were this pure and moralistic and spiritual people who would join hands and sing kumbaya, they had no wars etc. until the evil, greedy, industrious whites showed up and enslaved everyone(White people are the only people who keep slaves)
>>
>>490183
When I hear talk about Sub-Saharan Africa on here I always hear people talk about Rome 2000 years ago Africa today etc, despite kingdoms existing in Sub-Saharan Africa
>inb4 WE
>>
>>490125
>She had to right an essay on why Constantine "may" have been Christian, I shit you not.
to be fair, we don't actually know what his personal beliefs were, only that he made Christianity the state religion of the Empire. He could have done it for purely political purposes.
>>
>>490106
>The French gave the United States massive amounts of support during the revolutionary war.
The French state going bankrupt was due in part to their funding of the Americans.
>>
>>483742
>started

Black guy here, this has been around since the 1960s.
>>
>>490201
It was a later Emperor which made Christianity the official religion. What Constantine did was end laws which discriminated against Christians.
>>
>>489440
No, it's not dumber. It's literally what happened.

>A rich guy needs a risky job done
>he has two options:
>use his expensive black slave and risk he dies, thus losing tremendous amount of money
>hire some poor Irish sod, pay him a shit wage and not give a single fuck if he dies

Many white people were literally, LITERALLY considered more disposable than blacks.

Furthermore, you know how mass imigration from the 3rd world depresses wages for the locals? This is the same thing slavery did, the ebul slave owning planters were a minority, majority of white southerners were poorer than shit and slavery was the thing keeping them poor. Notice how for example the West Virginian yeomen created a breakaway state to join the union not because they loved black people, but because they were sick of being fucking poor.
>>
>>490112
>fixated on the idea of being 'top-dog' in the world.
speaking as a non-American, you are top dog. And if you had any idea what its like not being top dog then you wouldn't treat the idea with such scorn.

>America has gone from its humble backwoods tradition to 'everyone is a winner' in America.
As if Americans only started being patriotic after America became a superpower.
>>
>>490219
If it was cheaper to use paid labor than slaves, why did the institution of slavery exist in the first place?
>>
>>490169
Nah, it's also ignorant Americans who do that shit too.
>>
>>490194
There are some great threads here, but they come at least once every other week. If you start a thread on Sub-Saharan kingdoms, you'll get some good stuff.
>>
>>483179
Kek
>>
>>490225
>it was cheaper

Yes and no. If you posessed a huge capital, you could buy a gorillion slaves and make them pick cotton for the rest of their lives with only small expenses. However, you wouldn't risk them doing life-threatening jobs like buildings bridges and toiling in coal mines. For that you used cheap white labor.
>>
I remember my Junior year of history my teacher told us about these "concentration camps" and this thing called the "Holocaust". Apparently 6 million Jews were killed in a gas chamber by the nazis simply because they were really good at business and medicine. Well my family came here from Germany and I thought this sounded a little odd so I did a little research myself and apparently the whole thing is a fabrication!

Mad times we live in.
>>
>>483179

"G'tag mate" alone is fucking classic.

GJ on the sides work, invoice me.
>>
>>490225
>>490245
Also it's notable that success in the South had more to do with status than money. They weren't particularly interested in financial efficiency and profits, that was seen as more of a Yankee thing.

So if a slave did die doing dangerous labor, it wasn't so much that the owner lost an investment but rather that they would lose prestige (which was incidentally expensive or difficult to replace/reattain).
>>
>>489862
>Implying the turks ever mattered in WWI.
>>
>>483165
Many colonists, including slave owners, were overwhelmingly loyalists. There was a slave outfit that fought for the crown. They were named the Ethiopian regiment, most of them were killed by smallpox before they reached the battlefield. Did you skip class that day?
>>
>>483179
good post right there, boys
>>
The magical immediate collapse of the Roman Empire, and how the """Byzantine""" Empire magically popped right there anew is the one I hate the most, because I cannot completely reverse that idea in my head.

I try to go over in my head time and time again how the Byzantine never stopped considering themselves Roman, and the Justianian just reclaimed some former glories of the very same empire, but I cannot stop thinking of the fifth century as the one that saw the end of the Roman empire

Also, I would have liked to be taught about all the political changes it went through, and it wasn't just guy after guy conquering a bit more and then dying.
>>
>>483149

>hitler wanted to kill everybody without blond hair and blue eyes

>the third reich wanted to take over the world.

>north american aboriginals were all one continent spanning people with zero differences who lived peacefully alongside eachother until the white man came and ruined it all
>>
>>483149

>there was a north american genocide of the natives
>>
>>483732
The dissolution of Austria-Hungary was inevitable though.
>>
>>483732
>>democracy is desirable in any way or form
name any better system of government
>>
>>490037
>>490122
...that IS an evil cause, you dip.
>>
>>483650
More accurately it's
>I'll risk getting PTSD and my legs blown off because I'm poor as shit and/or don't want to/can't get a real job or go to college
>>
>>484505
>chauvinistic
why is this an insult? I thought it was just practice of treating women well/ "knight's honor"

>napoleon was very short
he was below average, though, right?
>>
>>491895
That's chivalrous.
>>
Perhaps
>>
>>491940
then what is chauvinistic
>>
>>484273
>>483301
>>483154
Resident sumerologist here, about to blow your fucking minds.

All myth has an aetiological function. True myth, not histories, explain why things are in the natural world.

The flood myth is, in its oldest form, a creation myth. The firmament of the world rising out of the waters of chaos. You see this in mesopotamia, where the mound is the tell of a city sutrounded by the chaos of open lands, but thats later. The world is visualised as being born out of the watery void.

Now remember, all of nature to early man is a microcosm of the cosmos. The watery void that creates firmamwnt must therefore mimic a natral process. What is it?

Birth.

The fetus magically formed from the waters of the womb. Flesh magically appearing in water. The creative principle. The world is literally being born.

/mindfuck
>>
>>491895
He was something like 5 foot 6 which was above average for his time. The British propaganda machine wanted to make him seem short though. (Source: QI)
>>
>>490032

The demographics don't work.
>>
Not necessarily a lie or misinformation, but the fact I never learned about the Bangladesh War of Independence in any high school or even early university courses about global history, despite the fact it had more casualties than the Vietnam war, which it's largely overshadowed by. Some pretty horrific stuff went on, and it's almost entirely glossed over by Western historians.
>>
>>491895
>why is this an insult?

That's chivalry. Chauvinism is an unfounded sense of superiority, not necessarily anything to do with women.

>he was below average

Slightly taller than average. There was some kind of difference between the units of measurement used by the Brits and the French, so to make him look bad the Brits creatively misinterpreted his height. Or something.
>>
>>490715
Except it wasn't, it was 100% fueled and enforced by the Entente.
>>
>the Etruscans invented the English alphabet
>Spartans spoke something called "Doric language" meaning saying little words with dense meaning, ie: "molan labe"
>the Persians had nothing to do with Greek affairs during the Peloponnesian War

This was all the same college history teacher. He spouted the strangest claims with such certainty and I've never been able to source them.

And don't even get me started on cultural marxist lies. My god they did so well at brainwashing the lot of us.

>Nelson Mandela was a cool dude
>Hitler was the worst conquerer/dictator of all time
>5 chapter tests and several essays on Martin Luther King and that bus lady and 1 brief chapter on things actually important
2much2list
>>
The 6 million holocaust victims meme. There numbers don't make sense and there is no good evidence of working gas chambers. A shower room with a wooden door is not a gas chamber.

Holocaust was terrible and disgusting, so were the nazis in many ways, but the facts have been exaggerated. There are really good motives too. Jews got their homeland largely cuz muh holohoax. I get it, I would have done the same. But a hoax nontheless.

Most history in Estonia seems to be accurate, but maybe I've had good teachers.
>>
>>490158
I'm european and I thought that Kwanzaa was a Futurama joke.
>>
>>492558
>that bus lady

It's pretty crazy we consider shit like that noteworthy.
>>
>>486008
those who can't do, teach. There are exceptions but they are fucking rare in public schools
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.