[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sea Peoples
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8
File: Bronze_Age_Collapse.png (384 KB, 800x449) Image search: [Google]
Bronze_Age_Collapse.png
384 KB, 800x449
Thoughts on the Sea Peoples, /his/?

For those of you who don't know, the Sea Peoples were a collection of tribes during the late Bronze Age whose piracy and general vandalism greatly weakened Egypt and probably destroyed Mycenae and Troy.

According to the Egyptian records, there were several tribes of these marauders; the Denyen (Danaoi of Greek legend or the Biblical tribe of Dan), Ekwesh (possibly Achaeans, refugees from Mycenae), Lukkah (Lycians), Peleset (Biblical Philistines), Shekelesh and Sherden (Sicilians and Sardinians), Teresh (Etruscans, same root as Tyrrhenian), Tjeker (likely Cretan in origin) and the Weshesh (unknown, lots of theories circulate- my first thought was a relation to Walhaz, the root of Welsh, Welscher, Wallachia, etc., but the Celts that Walhaz come from don't exist yet and that's probably too far anyways).

I've always thought the theory that the Sea Peoples included Sicilians, Sardinians and Etruscans among their ranks was pretty cool. I also read somewhere that the Odyssey is a possibly a half-mythological half-remembered tale of a mercenary that fought with Sea Peoples.
>>
>>483032
I love the sea-peoples, I always like to use them as an example of how entire civilizations and societies get destroyed by something they likely didnt expect.
>>
>>483616
Sea-people weren't responsible for the collapse of Myceanae
>>
>Thoughts on the Sea Peoples, /his/?
White people ruing everything. Again.
>>
File: 1449745647713.png (206 KB, 734x1043) Image search: [Google]
1449745647713.png
206 KB, 734x1043
>>483691
What even is white?
>>
>>483691
Anatolians, proto Greeks and proto Italics are white now?
>>
>>483616
Sea Peoples didn't destroy societies actually, that whole period was pretty cataclismic. Like natural disasters and shit.
>>
>>483881
Yes?
>>
>>483926
Well, them raidning the coasts costantly and destroying citiessurely didn't help those societies.
>>
>>483881
ofc not, they were ebonics.
>>
>>483881
Were they speaking Indo-European? Then yes.
>>
>>483953
We don't know what the sea people spoke, the only language sea people language we have is Philistine but there are very few documents so it's hard to classify.
>>
>>483953
>Indians are white
>>
From interesting to shit in three posts. Well done
>>
>>483999
Sorry to dissapoint you, but yes. Well I guess it depends. But the Brahmins are white, the untouchables are obviously not.

>>483969
Yeah sure, but let's say they're Italics and Greeks, then they are "white", even though arguing about race of people who lived in time when race as a modern concept hasn't even existed yet is kind of stupid. I mean Greeks didn't think themselves as white, but as Greeks, we just ascribe whiteness to them.
>>
Creepy as fuck.
>>
>>484012
You just described pretty much every thread on 4chan ever (well at least those that start as interesting and aren't pure shitposting from the beginning).
Anyway it's not like we can discover anything new about the Sea People, the whole appeal of them is that nobody knows who they are.

But maybe I can do something to keep this thread from turning to shit (or maybe it will turn it to shit even faster):
https://youtu.be/ErOitC7OyHk
Here's John Green claiming that Sea People didn't even exist, or weren't the real reason for fall of Bronze Age civilisations.
>>
>>484034
>But maybe I can do something to keep this thread from turning to shit (or maybe it will turn it to shit even faster):
Gee I wonder which scenario comes true when John Green gets involved
>>
That OP pic is inaccurate
>>
>>484034
>>484038
>Want to stop thread from turning to shit
>Post highly-debated amateur historian that is both reviled and idolized for his historical bias

Pls no
>>
File: siren-gif.gif (534 KB, 500x270) Image search: [Google]
siren-gif.gif
534 KB, 500x270
eyy yo op, desu senpai, fuckin crackersa ruin everythang, baka

Also egyptians were black, cleopatra was be black, jesus was a brotha and my nigga, eminem was black, donald duck was black

das be all

-we was kings
>>
File: 1451057274241.jpg (455 KB, 600x374) Image search: [Google]
1451057274241.jpg
455 KB, 600x374
>>484027
the truth is the sea peoples are actually future humans who decided to take LARPing to the extreme and built a time machine to LARP more accurately. Many historical events can be explained by this.

Do you actually think a group of obscure nomads from isolated irrelevant Mongolia conquered the entire Asian continent except for Japans
Fucking 25th century weaboos.

pic related is an actual mosaic, obvious proof time traveling baneposters are going across time shitting up history
>>
File: 1450090534425.jpg (37 KB, 329x489) Image search: [Google]
1450090534425.jpg
37 KB, 329x489
>>484034
>mfw plebs don't know John Green provides shit, inaccurate history
>mfw plebs don't know Hardcore History provides shit, inaccurate history
>mfw plebs don't know Extra Credit provides shit, inaccurate history

who will stop this memery?

What's with the uneducated, layman, non-historians? They're not even qualified, and are clearly not competent.
>>
File: 1449046621990.jpg (39 KB, 272x309) Image search: [Google]
1449046621990.jpg
39 KB, 272x309
>>484645
kek
>>
File: 1349217226441[1].jpg (42 KB, 720x439) Image search: [Google]
1349217226441[1].jpg
42 KB, 720x439
>>484645
> The truth is the sea peoples are actually future humans who decided to take LARPing to the extreme and built a time machine to LARP more accurately.
>>
>>483616
They were a result of the situation, rather than the cause.
>>
>>483032
>>483032
Most likely a combination of Tunisians, Scicilians, Italian Peoples, those who live around modern day croatia, and possibly some peoples who lived around the black sea.

In short, basically Vikings with less press, who saw a weakened bronze age variety of states and went 'Hey, why don't we steal some of that shit!"
>>
>>484645
this tbqh familia
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.