[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone know where I can get college-level history tests and exams
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 1404300877246.jpg (423 KB, 986x1369) Image search: [Google]
1404300877246.jpg
423 KB, 986x1369
Anyone know where I can get college-level history tests and exams if I'm not a history student?

Let me explain a bit. I'm in college right now but I'm studying something that is not history for the reasons of getting a good career. That said, I love history, and I want to become as expert on the subject as I can despite not being on expert on paper.

I've been reading lots of somewhat "academic level" history books and things like that, and I've been teaching myself Latin and Koine Greek so I can read primary sources. But sometimes I forget dates and places and people and have to consult my books before I make a statement on something.

So is there a website where I can take the kind of exams that would be given to history majors? That way I can study for them and have the facts and stuff solidified in my memory, and also get the satisfaction of knowing that I "passed" that course or section.

Same goes with Latin. I can't really afford a private Latin tutor, so are there any websites where I can take Latin and Koine Greek tests to test my proficiency?

>tl;dr
Where can I get a hold of the exams and tests that history majors would be expected to take, so I can help with my amateur studies of history?
>>
Then again perhaps I'm underestimating what professional historians actually know off the tops of their heads. Does the average historian really know, for example, the number of men involved in a particular battle, the order of battle, the commanders, the casualties, etc of a campaign in ancient times? Or do they usually consult the sources and take notes before giving a speech about it or something.
>>
And yes before anyone tells me, I already tried googling it. Didn't get any results, just practice AP exams for generic "world history." I'm looking for specific exams and quizzes over things like Alexander's conquests, the Punic Wars, stuff like that.
>>
You could probably download some. Find an examination body, and History Past Paper.
>>
>>480895
>Anyone know where I can get college-level history tests and exams
If your history degree is dependent upon "tests" and "examinations" then your degree is fucked.

Essays are the thing, my man.

>Does the average historian really know, for example, the number of men involved in a particular battle, the order of battle, the commanders, the casualties, etc of a campaign in ancient times?

We have books for that. We remember which books we read it in.

>>480960
>I'm looking for specific exams and quizzes over things like Alexander's conquests, the Punic Wars, stuff like that.

We don't work off exams.

>>480965
>You could probably download some.
Doubtful.

Do you want an essay question?

2000 wd.

How did masculinity work in Alexander's army?

Did Rome and Carthage compete over trade?

Was Socrates the greatest of the sophists?
>>
>>480908
>Does the average historian really know, for example, the number of men involved in a particular battle, the order of battle, the commanders, the casualties, etc of a campaign in ancient times?

I'm far for historian, but I understand this being an outdated method in understanding and teaching history. It's more about causes and people behind things that happenins.
>>
>>481302
You got the questions for free, marking is, hmm, USD2000.
>>
>>481387

Also this concerns studies like geography too: decades ago, you would learn every river in certain area: now you know what rivers are and how they affect us.
>>
>>481302
Alright, I'm liking the essay thing. However, I have no one to judge and critique it. I suppose I could write one and then link a download for it on here sometime and you guys could help critique it and offer your opinion on it. I don't know where else I would get "graded" on my essays.
>>
>>482615
>I don't know where else I would get "graded" on my essays.

Like I said, if you want me to commercially grade your essays on a one-a-job basis it is $1 per word.

Now on the other hand academics like me might be convinced to set you questions and grade your papers just for the hell of it. But you'll be begging /his/ or equivalent forums pretty much ;)
>>
>>481302
I can answer the second in a 2000 word essay but the answer can boil down to 'Of course they did.' It was part of the reason for the first punic war, alongside desire for control over sicily.
>>
>>482669
>but the answer can boil down to 'Of course they did.' It was part of the reason for the first punic war, alongside desire for control over sicily.
The quality of the answer depends on your elucidation of the primary point, the attack on the counterpoint, and the evidence martialed and the manner of marshalling.

P: "They did"
C: "They did" [evidence]
D: "They did" [evidence] "Fred thinks they didn't, but is wrong" [evidence]
HD: "They did, but this was not the total of their doing, and moreover the concept of the centrality of trade projects anachronistically onto the past where trade was conceptualised in these ways… Also Fred was wrong" [evidence]
>>
>>481302
>>482631
>>482685
ITT I learned that historians are kind of stuck up cunts. Holy shit, talk about condescension.
>>
>>482700
Yeah cunt. We have high epistemological standards. I mean fuck me.
>>
>>482709
Thanks for proving my point.
>>
>>482669
Of course they didn't, they preferred to move different products.

The war was over territorial possessions, not trade.
>>
>>482669
>Of course they did.

>>482844
>Of course they didn't

Gentlemen: marshal your sources.
>>
>>482851
I'm actually arguing to drive home your p[point. If the thread survives to the weekend, I may go through my books and see if I have anything supporting my claim.

I suspect I do. Need review.
>>
>>482615
>I have no one to judge and critique it.
Now you know why people bother to study history in college. Besides the access to databases and other research materials, it gives you a learned expert willing to correct your misunderstandings and guide your learning. Also the discussions. A typical history class is 1 part lecture, 1 part group discussion to help digest the reading. This is just ideally though, I've had classes where the teacher just lectured the whole time and never said anything that wasn't covered in the reading. Those classes were pretty much a waste of time.
>>
>>482916
1 part decently marked developmental assessment.

Lecture, Tutorial, Assessment.

And assessment should be 1/3 live speaking, 1/3 considered essay, 1/3 quick essay (take home essay).

And the requirements for each should be considered against the time requirements.
>>
>>482916
I would definitely have gone into a career in history if there was any job security and it paid halfway decent. Sadly that isn't the case.
>>
>>482967
History majors, according to Forbes, are actually better off than most, as far as staying employed goes.

Apparently they accept going in that they're studying history out of love, not for a chance at a career, and just use the degree to get A job rather than THE job.
>>
>>483017
I don't believe that for a second m8. History majors consistently rank among the most unemployed college grads. Most people do it for one of two reasons: pre-law, or teaching.

If you're an historian and land a job as a college professor at a decent well-funded university, or at a museum or something, you're probably set. But I can't tell you how many history grads I've met at my part time jobs I've had in college. I was particularly shocked when I took a seasonal job at a bookstore and the guy I worked with quoted Livy and went on to say that he was a history grad, with a concentration in classical civilization. The guy had been on several trips to Rome, Greece, the Levant, and other Hellenized or otherwise colonized areas of the ancient world. He seemed very intelligent and devoted to history. And there he was, working at an $8 an hour job, full time.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.