[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Be George Washington >be general in 15 battles >lost
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: washington.jpg (1 MB, 2510x1409) Image search: [Google]
washington.jpg
1 MB, 2510x1409
>Be George Washington
>be general in 15 battles
>lost 10
>presented as best general of 18 century
>mfw
>>
>>480778

Not everyone is American, you know?
>>
File: 1443643966421.jpg (298 KB, 1280x840) Image search: [Google]
1443643966421.jpg
298 KB, 1280x840
>>480778
He won the war.
>>
>>480778
Is Assassin's Creed the worst thing to happen to the popular conception of history in the last 50 years?
>>
File: Problem?.jpg (78 KB, 500x305) Image search: [Google]
Problem?.jpg
78 KB, 500x305
>>480796
hehehe
>>
>>480778
>>presented as best general of 18 century
by who, faggot
>>
Why are the guys in the background wearing masks?
>>
He was good enough.

I don't think anybody seriously hails Washington as a military genius. He was an able general, but his true genius was in his cool inspirational manner and his imperturbable air of confidence that kept the army from falling apart long enough to find a decisive victory and win independence.
>>
File: 33.jpg (9 KB, 152x225) Image search: [Google]
33.jpg
9 KB, 152x225
>>480820
Nobody.
>>
>>480834
this
>>
>>480778
He was an alright general but his real greatness shines in his later political career.

Successfully having a revolution is very difficult. Successfully having a revolution as progressive and egalitarian as the American one is superbly rare. Washington was a brilliant figurehead for the early republic and performed all his duties admirably.

Usually revolutions see the opposite: great military leaders, like Mao, who are utterly horrendous at running a government.
>>
>>480793
Definitely not by himself. Frenchies, Spaniards and Poles had to intervene. He just became president at the end, stealing most of the glory.
>>
>>480778
He's generally remembered more as an excellent man than an excellent military leader.
>>
>>480778
it's more the fact that he was able to hold on and keep his army together through some pretty harsh shit. he also kept the Brits busy so they couldn't combine forces or anything like that
>>
>>480778

I don't believe Ive heard anybody actually say this, and I live in America.
>>
>>480778
>Take up a completely hopeless task
>Somehow win at the end of it all

He did pretty damn good. Who's his competitor? Napoleon?

>We just gonna take Egypt
>Oh shit
>OH FUCK SHIT FUCK SHITSHITSHIT
>Bugger off back to France
>I only came back to save you all, lol
>>
>>482021
>He just became president at the end, stealing most of the glory.
confirmed for buttmad limey brit fuckboi
he didn't even wanna be president you autismal fuck, they asked him and he reluctantly agreed.
>>
>>480778
But everyone knows the best general of the 18th century is Prince Eugene of Savoy, or maybe Suvorov
>>
>>482054
>>>/texas/
>>
>>482040
Napoleon? The man who became the greatest general before being 30? Who conquered France without firing a shot? Who defeated 5 european coalitions using France alone? Hell yeah faggot britfag
>>
>>480778
by literally who? Even the most patriotic americans don't say he was the best general, just that he was a good statesman and helped the country stay united in its formative years
>>
>>482136
Frederick the Great was better than eugene
>>
>>480778
I don't think they teach that he's the best general. Just a persevering one, a charismatic one, and at least within the presidency, and wise one.
>>
I don't think anyone seriously considered him among the greats, he was mythologized into a Cincinnatus mostly to unify the new, fragile republic. He was a Federalist in all but name, but even Jefferson's Republicans agreed that the new country needed a hero. The only guy everyone loved and admired, Federalist or Republican, Northerner or Southerner, was Washington.
>>
File: wash.png (280 KB, 643x704) Image search: [Google]
wash.png
280 KB, 643x704
>>480778
Friendly reminder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ssbgJ3D6cw
>>
File: 1425698062562-1.jpg (87 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1425698062562-1.jpg
87 KB, 640x360
>>482205
pretty much. he is basicaly famous for what he did't do. He didnt take power and call himself king. pretty much this. >>482204
>>480778
he was better general then gates, but their were much better generals then him. he basicaly knew how to do great tactical retreats and bold plans like boston and trenton.

>>480796
ehh, they are ok,
>>
>>482215
What the fuck is this?
>>
>>480778
He won

Suck it, yuropoors
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.