[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
History of Art
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
What are good books for a comprehensive introduction to the history of art? Particularly looking for something that stresses how the evolution of art fits into the larger philosophical development of European culture.
>>
Any1
>>
Gardener's Art through the Ages: A Global History
>>
File: Boreas.jpg (146 KB, 436x600) Image search: [Google]
Boreas.jpg
146 KB, 436x600
>>479985
Bit offtopic, but I find Waterhouse to be one of the greats, and I feel like he never gets the attention he deserves, or maybe I just prefer his style of paintings over that of Picasso or Dali.
>>
>>480199
Anything that doesn't cost a small fortune?
>>
>>479985
Gombrichs The story of art.
>>
>>480219
That mostly has to do because he probably wasn't that innovative, we tend to remember those that do more than those that don't.
>>
>>480287
>I want a singular book that covers at least 4,000 years of art history
>but nothing too expensive
>>
>>480287
If you look at earlier editions you can get one for about 40 quid
>>
Something on gothic style mates?
>>
Maybe not the right thread, but does anyone have something on architecture through the ages?
>>
>>480385
Gardener's Art through the Ages covers architecture.
>>
>>480347

Yup, a handbook.
>>
>>480219
Illustrators absolutely drool over Waterhouse. You won't see Waterhouse get much love in a general art history book, but once you start to zoom in he gets plenty of attention.
>>
>>480219
>Picasso/Dali
>style
Come on son.
You cant call that colorful offense against God "style".
>>
File: lastsupper.jpg (735 KB, 900x645) Image search: [Google]
lastsupper.jpg
735 KB, 900x645
>>
>>479985
Don't know any books, so I'll bump with top tier TV series
https://youtu.be/Mg4hOSMLz9Q
And
https://youtu.be/YZuUDlbkAH0
>>
start by watching kenneth clark's civilisation. some of the information is pretty outdated ('the skin of our teeth') but it's free to watch on youtube (don't read the book -- it's basically a transcription of the tv show), it's comprehensive in what it does cover (no spain, for example), it talks about the philosophical developments of the period. note that it is 'a personal view' though so use it as a springboard of sorts but i don't want to see you repeating his opinions in art threads.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.