[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Historical figures you wish you could be like.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 12
Also, what are your thoughts on him, /his/ (especially Arab posters)?
>>
>>478023
Promised shit he couldn't deliver and Britain hung him out to dry when it came to backing said promises.

I genuinely believe he was a decent dude who came to appreciate Arabian culture but he was largely used as a tool to manipulate the Arab populace into destabilizing the Ottoman Empire for the benefit of Britain and France.

Britain and France subsequently fucked up the entire region when they split the Ottoman Empire apart after WW1 into protectorates and mandates.

Hussein-MacMahon Correspondance and
Sykes-Picot Agreement lead to cultural conflicts that still exist today.

Basically he unwittingly set off a chain of reactions that lead to a very destabilized Middle East, but again I think he personally meant well.
>>
Talleyrand.
>>
>>478077
It really sucks if you think about it. You are T.E. Lawrence and you mean to do good but in the end you end up causing a domino effect that fucks the entire region for decades.
>>
File: LOAswDune.jpg (137 KB, 755x1260) Image search: [Google]
LOAswDune.jpg
137 KB, 755x1260
>>478023
An incredibly influential person.

He is buried in modern culture.
>>
File: maxvonsydowDUNE.jpg (40 KB, 720x307) Image search: [Google]
maxvonsydowDUNE.jpg
40 KB, 720x307
>>478100

cont-
The Force Awakened paid homage to Dune.
>>
File: rud.jpg (12 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
rud.jpg
12 KB, 300x250
As a prospective journalist and short story writer, Rudyard Kipling is a hero of mine. He served on Britain's propaganda committee during World War One and imagined some cool short stories.

However, he did kinda urge his son to join the military out of fear of being ridiculed for having a bitch of a son, but that was a time period thing...

I think he's fan-Rikki-Tikki-Tastic.

fml
>>
>>478142
>rudyard kipling
>actually is nagy imre.jpg

Nice troll magyarist.
>>
File: Ottoman-Lining_up_to_use_a_boy.jpg (125 KB, 374x710) Image search: [Google]
Ottoman-Lining_up_to_use_a_boy.jpg
125 KB, 374x710
>>478023
getting literally raped by T*rks wasn't certainly the best experience, but in my eyes the greatest sacrifice a man could bring for the freedom of the Arabs ever.
>>
File: Hitler 58.jpg (215 KB, 600x505) Image search: [Google]
Hitler 58.jpg
215 KB, 600x505
>>
>>478193
was he actualy raped. I always thought that was just a thing he added for drama and because he was a closet gay. i know its debated.
>>
File: beatchriskyleinahour.jpg (43 KB, 326x389) Image search: [Google]
beatchriskyleinahour.jpg
43 KB, 326x389
>>
File: dahoum.jpg (252 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
dahoum.jpg
252 KB, 720x576
>>478023
His boyfriend was cute

>no homo
>>
File: alfredthegreat.jpg (75 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
alfredthegreat.jpg
75 KB, 620x387
perfect men don't exi-

http://www.historytoday.com/barbara-yorke/alfred-great-most-perfect-man-history
>>
File: Richard Burton.jpg (101 KB, 563x760) Image search: [Google]
Richard Burton.jpg
101 KB, 563x760
>Sir Richard Francis Burton was a British explorer, geographer, translator, writer, soldier, orientalist, cartographer, ethnologist, spy, linguist, poet, fencer, and diplomat. According to one count, he spoke 29 European, Asian and African languages

>Burton's best-known achievements include a well-documented journey to Mecca, in disguise at a time when Europeans were forbidden access on pain of death; an unexpurgated translation of One Thousand and One Nights (commonly called The Arabian Nights in English after early translations of Antoine Galland's French version); the publication of the Kama Sutra in English; and a journey with John Hanning Speke as the first Europeans to visit the Great Lakes of Africa in search of the source of the Nile.

>Burton was a captain in the army of the East India Company, serving in India (and later, briefly, in the Crimean War). Following this, he was engaged by the Royal Geographical Society to explore the east coast of Africa and led an expedition guided by the locals and was the first European to see Lake Tanganyika. In later life, he served as British consul in Fernando Pó, Santos, Damascus and, finally, Trieste. He was a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and was awarded a knighthood in 1886
>>
>>478077
Sykes and Picot did nothing wrong. The conflicts would just have been international if their borders had followed the ethnic/religious divides. And they would have been blamed for dividing people that got along until then and setting their interests at oddd. They would have been accused of dividing to conquer.
Besides, the ethnic and religious lines are not clearly set. Would you give bagdad to the sunnis or the shiites ? Or split it like jerusalem ? That's sure to have worked better. And anyway, you would be left with minorities, just smaller than they are now, and thus more vulnerable.
And if demography and migrations come to fuck your shit, you get another lebanon.

Or they could have let the arabs divide themselves on their own. They probably would have done so peacefully.
And then they'll get blamed for throwing unprepared people into the river of nation and statehood and watching them drown.
>>
File: 509.png (194 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
509.png
194 KB, 600x450
>>478193
those sandniggers don't thank him enough
>>
File: 1219-0-cry.jpg (27 KB, 460x282) Image search: [Google]
1219-0-cry.jpg
27 KB, 460x282
>>478193
>the greatest sacrifice a man could bring for the freedom of the Arabs ever.

the greatest sacrifice a man could bring for the freedom of the man in general.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.