[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the Pax Romana so significant?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: pax.jpg (16 KB, 315x216) Image search: [Google]
pax.jpg
16 KB, 315x216
Why is the Pax Romana so significant?
>>
>>477650
We partly owe our current civil law level to it.
>>
File: Romanindustry.jpg (51 KB, 733x383) Image search: [Google]
Romanindustry.jpg
51 KB, 733x383
>>477650
The Empire was relatively stable for some 200 years and its economy expanded immensely, becoming an economic powerhouse that wouldn't be surpassed until the Industrial Revolution.
>>
>>477650
It's important for IR because of the hegemony theory.
>>
>>477650
Because it was the only period of long-term internal peace within the region for millenia. Besides a few minor campaigns, punitive expeditions and occasional raids across the border where it was porous such as in Mauretania, these places knew such a peace that they would never see again.
>>
>>477658
No we don't. We owe that to Napoleon, and some vague inspiration from a codex written by Byzantine emperor Justinian.
>>
>>477713
Corpus Iuris Civilis is basically copy pasta of law masters who lived during pax romana. And i said partly not totally. Most stuff is same with roman law at least in my country.
>>
>peace

>in the Roman sense
>>
>>477662

It wasn't surpassed by China at any point since 150 AD?
>>
>>477726
Ancient Roman law was not in the spirit of civil law at all, it was much loser and custom-based. It was only Justinian who codified jurisprudence he copied from ancient Rome (though his codex was never really applied, it just became very influential in the West much later).
>>
>>477748
China was in a civil war basically until Rome fell, so no.
>>
>>477814
But the T'ang dynasty wasn't surpassing them?
>>
>>477706
There was some degree of violence in the Empire virtually every year. There was sporadic violence in Judea pretty much from the late Neronian period all the way to the early Antonine era. Mostly it was low intensity, sometimes it flared into open war
>>
>>477814

Anon said that it wasn't surpassed until the Industrial Revolution, but it was. Song China for one.
>>
>>477869
Source for the production levels?

Not trying to be argumentative, I have just never seen anything indicating the Roman Empire's economy was surpassed until then.
>>
>>477898

Trying to google it.
>>
>>477713

Roman idea of personal ownership is the basis of the western world 2bh
>>
>>477898
>>477924

can't find it right away

I'll concede that I don't know for sure if it was surpassed.
>>
>>477924

This is not an acceptible answer in a diacussion like this. Not saying wither of you is wrong, but "just google it" just isn't. Post should be disregarded.
>>
File: Calgacus.jpg (881 KB, 1630x1670) Image search: [Google]
Calgacus.jpg
881 KB, 1630x1670
>To ravage, to slaughter, to usurp under false titles, they call empire; and where they make a desert, they call it peace.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.