[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Morality is as intrinsic to the universe as gravity. ??? gives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: Epictetus.jpg (32 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Epictetus.jpg
32 KB, 250x250
Morality is as intrinsic to the universe as gravity. ??? gives us physical laws, physical laws set the evolution ball rolling, evolution gives us consciousness, consciousness gives us intuitions, codes, and principles on how to successfully navigate through this universe we find ourselves in with a minimum of suffering inflicted on ourselves and others.

We can only conclude then that the universe is moral, because it gave us the objective conditions to produce moral life in the first place. Evil, predation, the cold indifference of matter, are not the rule, they are what must be transcended. Prove me wrong. Protip: you can't
>>
>>475374
"Prove me wrong"

No you fucking dip PROVE your statement. You just made a list of fucking assertions strong together incoherently.
>>
>big bang therefore Hegel fuck you thats why
>>
>>475383
It's perfectly coherent you just need to be over 18 to post here

>>475455
>nothing is anything rofl
>>
I read that as "morality is as inherent to the universe as gravy".
I thought it was an interesting premise.
But I am hungry.
>>
If morality were as intrinsic as gravity then it would be forced by some force (like gravity is), but as we can see morality being broken each and every day we can assume that there is no such force forcing morality on us. So we must make our own morality.
>>
>>475510
No, that's no what intrinsic means. The propensity for the universe to produce life that is self-aware, suffer and feel joy are all you need for morality to exist. It's not some force like the strong nuclear force as much as it is a very higher-order emergent property of complex, conscious systems. The beautiful thing is that all these are higher order systems jostling around and making art and raising families are just quarks following their "programming" anyways
>>
>>475487
No. You made a bunch of assertions without evidence. And asked people to 'disprove' you.

Okay -- you have no evidence to support your claim.

Done!
>>
>>475536
Get that tism checked
>>
>>475374
>>475520
by that reasoning every idea is intrinsic to the universe, the idea that evil spirits cause disease is as intrinsic as the idea that antibiotics cure infections
>>
>>475552
Well, duh, if it wasn't possible it couldn't happen. Morality isn't some antiquated idea of where the maggots on rotting meat come from, at its root is the problem of how to conduct ourselves and balance our needs with those of others. This is inescapable. You have conscious beings inhabiting bodies that need sustenance, are wreathed in pain nerves, that can love and cause pain, and you will have a situation where all these beings must follow some higher principles or the life experiment will die before it started
>>
File: his.png (2 KB, 208x36) Image search: [Google]
his.png
2 KB, 208x36
>>475552
>>475536
>>475510
>>475455
>>475383
don't take the bait
>>
>Morality is as intrinsic to the universe as gravity

There are 10.000 forms of gravity, separated by geography, made up by people on absolutely arbitrary grounds?
>>
>>476789
The idea of morality itself you autist lol. How come every schmuck on this board takes everything super literally but their own retarded babbys first relativism bullshit
>>
>>477723

There is no single set idea of morality you mongoloid.

The best we have is morality as a complex, emergent property of society, but I highly doubt you know what any of that even means
>>
>>477745
So because there's no single default government, human government as an idea and actuating force doesn't exist? Cretin
>>
>>477723
Then how on earth are you are you going to explain what you mean by "moral" without using a platitude like "moral is how we act and since we act everywhere moral is everywhere" or another utterly useless definition?
>>
>>477840
Principles, values, and ideals held by individuals and societies that promote the wellbeing and ethical conduct of their proponents, usually in conjunction with some religious or spiritual sense of humanity's place in a larger reality and its potential to transcend its animalistic nature.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.