[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
will stefan molyneux go down as the most important philosopher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: stefavatar_400x400.jpg (40 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
stefavatar_400x400.jpg
40 KB, 400x400
he seems to think he will
>>
File: 1430864262658.jpg (51 KB, 480x446) Image search: [Google]
1430864262658.jpg
51 KB, 480x446
He certainly believes so, which goes hand in hand with him being very cult-leader-ish
>>
Not a chance.

He's not really a philosopher in my opinion, more like a propagandist for a very narrow political group.
>>
I've never heard of him, in what subjects do he publish?
>>
>>474208
what makes someone a philosopher
>>
>>474213
His religious devotion to a very narrow and specific branch of anarchism
>>
>>474220

[fi-los-uh-fer]

Examples
Word Origin

noun
a person who offers views or theories on profound questions in ethics, metaphysics, logic, and other related fields.
a person who is deeply versed in philosophy.
a person who establishes the central ideas of some movement, cult, etc.
a person who regulates his or her life, actions, judgments, utterances, etc., by the light of philosophy or reason.
>>
>>474199
yes, according to the pleb which listens to him
>>
LMAO. NO. Fucking delusional egotist
>>
>>474246
TIL I am a philosopher
>>
>>474222
That doesn't answer my question.
>>
>>474199
Of course not

Delete this thread
>>
>>474199
No, Stefan systematically rejects every ideology not congruent with his own in such a bold manner that he essentially turns anyone outside his bubble off to his philosophy. Add the scandals, the cherry picked statements used against him over the years, and his crowned jewel UPB that hardly stood up to a $50 bet; and he begins to fall flat of any title even that of philosopher.

I'm inclined to mention that I've listened to his show the entirety of my time in high school, and he was a major inspiration to me as an intellectual figure, who I've now more or less rejected. However his following is one of the worst aspects of his fame, even against the valid arguments he makes, his opponents view every remotely left-field statement as the rantings of a cult leader with a following that will take anything he says for fact. He may become a notable figure at some point in the future because of his presentations on parenting or his conversations with a few important people, but his philosophy is rehashed thinkers from the last hundred years and a few throwbacks to Aristotle to give the air of philosophy. A figure or a thinker he may, but a philosopher he'll never be.

>tl;dr will not be remembered as a philosopher
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Molyneux
>Molyneux refers to the family that people are born into as their family of origin or FOO.
>In 2012, the College of Psychologists of Ontario found Molyneux's spouse, a licensed psychologist, "guilty of professional misconduct" because she used Molyneux's podcast, "to counsel people to emulate her and sever ties with their families." (to deFOO)
>>
File: 1354263837050.jpg (64 KB, 556x615) Image search: [Google]
1354263837050.jpg
64 KB, 556x615
The extent of the mark Molyneux will make on history is his Wikipedia article.

Hopefully he might also leave a hilarious obituary detailing his death by auto-erotic asphyxiation.
>>
>I don't believe in intellectual property until someone tries to steal mine

No he only wishes he was important, delusions of grandeur doesn't even begin to describe this guy
He's the reason people hate libertarians and people who lean that way.

Distance yourself from this man if you want to be taken seriously
>>
>>474745
>no arguments the post
>>
ITT: a bunch of mad leftists
>>
>>474199
I'm certainly not an anarchist but I enjoy Molyneux's videos
>>
Straight to the gulag.
>>
>>474820

So giving advice you believe in and have practiced is "professional misconduct" now? Leaving an abusive family IS good, practical advice that is far more realistic any "cognitive therapy just bee yourself" bullshit that psychologists usually practice.
>>
>>476540
The issue with molly is that he then dramatically lowers the bar for what an abusive family is. Essentially, anything less than a perfect family is abusive in molly's eyes
>>
>>475845
>observations
>using NAA to rebut anything
>>
>>476822
this, even though molyneux is a general proponent of fixing a family relationship before giving it up he tends against adult parent relationships.

>>475899
his "True news" segments are actually pretty good, i use to listen to most or all of his stuff, but now those and a few of his larger presentations are the only things i come back to. Stefan always has a way of bringing a perspective completely unheard in most other news sources.

>>474213
anarcho-capitalism, peaceful parenting, austrian economics, and some moral theories that are dubious at best. He's just a general critic to everyone on his podcasts that isn't in his belief cast. There's nothing wrong with not agreeing with other people but it turns a lot of people off when he will dismiss opponent positions out of hand, its partially why he's not very popular or well known.
>>
>anarcho-capitalism
Literally stopped reading there
>>
>>476912
>true news
>consists solely of his opinions on current events
>>
The big problem is that Stephan Molyneux does not contribute to philosophy. He likes to stay in his own bubble and not try to publish anything. He has this weird continuation of that kind of Rand like ideology, except Rand was actually influential to a certain degree.

Furthermore, Molyneux likes to act like he's a philosopher but he's really not. He's a dumbed down Aristotelian that makes a lot of claims without any backing up. He's written some works on ethics, but he almost entirely dismisses the other traditions (e.g. deontological and utilitarian thought) with no real reason.

If he wants to be taken seriously, he should publish something.
>>
In the same way Jim Jones will go down into history as a messiah
>>
>>474199
He'll be remembered as that gut who looked like Kane from command & conquer
>>
memeyeux is a pseudo-intellectual of the first degree.
>>
That's the fable guy that made godus, right?
>>
>>477303
No he's a you tuber
>>
>>474745
>his crowned jewel UPB that hardly stood up to a $50 bet
I must know more
>>
Stefan is essentially a white nationalist now
>>
>>479389
http://www.fdrliberated.com/stefan-molyneux-promise-failure-upb-inside-story-part-2/

>Few people have paid Molyneux’s thinking as much critical attention as Danny Shahar. No one has written more about Molyneux’s ideas. And through it all, few have kept such a consistently gracious tone in every written comment to and about Molyneux.
>Being the jerk that I am, I proposed a bet with Stefan, that I would pay him $50 if I couldn’t demonstrate why his argument was flawed, and that I would get to keep the book for free if I could.
>Keeping his notes on-line, between December 28, 2007 and May 6, 2008, Shahar wrote over 20 in-depth (and mostly devastating) posts as part of the “The Molyneux Project” before even beginning his overall critique of the book as a whole.

I'm not sure whether he lost the bet or not, I'm fairly sure that Stefan ignored the bet halfway through once he realized he was on the losing side, either way its a good read.
>>
>>476985
>Rand was actually influential to a certain degree
>to a certain degree
>>
>>479433
i forgot to add a link to Shahar's critique
http://libertarian-left.blogspot.com/2009/04/critique-of-stefan-molyneuxs-ethical.html
>>
Even if all his claims are true the stigma of the cult label will always keep him down.

Plus his public psychoanalyzing is just manipulative. You can make anyone emotional If you get to talk about their abuse.
>>
>>474199
just another deluded and vain anglo with bad politics and mediocre reasoning skills
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.