[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is your favourite Roman emperor /his/? [spoiler]besides Julius
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 16
Who is your favourite Roman emperor /his/?
[spoiler]besides Julius Caesar[/spoiler]
>>
>>4725
Caesar was not an emperor, he was dictator for life.
>>
>>4725
Sulla tbqh
>>
File: MaximinusThrax.jpg (130 KB, 504x679) Image search: [Google]
MaximinusThrax.jpg
130 KB, 504x679
If you disagree you are a manlet.
>>
>>4725
Rome was never meant to be an Empire

Caesar and Augustus fucked everything up
>>
Nero.
>>
I like Marcus a lot

Why was his son such a cunt?

>>5085
Augustus did nothing wrong
>>
>>5085
optimate pls go
>>
>>4725

Caesar was not emperor.
>>
Hadrian, because of his devotion to boipussy
>>
>>5148
my nigga
>>
TRAJAN!
>>
>>4725
Constantin for best emperor
>>
Diocletian

>this triggers the christkeks
>>
I'd say Caligula
>>
File: image.jpg (140 KB, 622x984) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140 KB, 622x984
>>5190
Seconding
>>
>>5230
Constantine

>this triggers the pagankeks
>>
>>4725
Marcus Aurelius
>>
>spoilers
its like you people have never once left your containment boards
>>
Diocletian, obviously.

>>5230
Mah nigga.
>>
File: image.jpg (482 KB, 640x887) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
482 KB, 640x887
>>4725
Justinian
>this triggers the Westernkeks
>>
Elagabalus
>>
>>5355
Ruined the Eastern Roman Empire desu.
>>
>>4725
1. Augustus
2. Nero
Nero gave no shits and did what he wanted
He's also way over demonized by many historians
>>
>>5485
>>5355
Constantinople and Justinian are also pretty good. But I was under the impression we were talking only of the united empire
>>
>>5355
Belisarius did all the work for him.
>>
>>5129
He sort of was. The Romans unofficially became an empire way before the civil wars with the expansions of the punic wars and taking the eastern med.
>>
Augustus
>>
File: 1436472989917.png (166 KB, 858x675) Image search: [Google]
1436472989917.png
166 KB, 858x675
>>5271
>>
Heraclius seems like a tragic hero style figure to me, so I like him
>>
File: 1399140400705.jpg (17 KB, 247x247) Image search: [Google]
1399140400705.jpg
17 KB, 247x247
>>5355
>Justinian
This kills the empire
>>
Hadrien
>>
Generally not a fan of empires or emperors, but Aurelius tried to be a good person, and I like the Stoics in general, so him.
>>
Marcus...had a hard life.

>Suppose, Caesar, that you can attain to the wisdom of Cleanthes and Zeno, yet, against your will, you must put on the purple imperial cloak, not the philosopher’s woolen cape.
>>
>>4725
Basil II
>>
>>5379
Too bad his own praetorian killed him.
>>
>>5355
More like this triggers the Italian urbanites who were all but wiped out in his wars.
>>
>>5379
This.
>>
1. Marcus Aurelius
2. Claudius
3. Constantine
4. Augustus

Rest don't matter.
>>
>>5623
Who was the general that clubbed the enemy commander to death in a 1 v 1 to ensure victory in a pitched battle?

I think that was some time around Basill II, but I can't for the life of me remember his name
>>
Aurelius.
>>
>4chan
>not having late years Tiberius as the best emperor

what happened to you, 4chan?
>>
>>5709
Tiberius was the best adopted son anyone could ask for tbqh.
>>
Why did he have to die?
>>
Galba desu
>>
Was nero actually smart or is the history channel full of shit like usual?
>>
>>5880
He was the PC gaming of Roman emperors
>>
>>4725
>inb4 Constantine
>inb4 Octavian
>>
>>5910
maximum keks
>>
>>5910
So, master race?
>>
>>5880
No, I thought he just had top tier advisers. He struggled with emotional and mental problems. Didn't he kick to death the woman he loved while she was pregnant?
>>
File: nerosm.png (609 KB, 900x618) Image search: [Google]
nerosm.png
609 KB, 900x618
>>5910
Don't hate on the neckbeard.
>>
>>5969
She told him she was pregnant and then he cutted into her belly to see if it was true.
>>
>>5934
you're late
>>
>>5073
he's a big guy
>>
>tfw you'll never be able to travel back in time and save the Roman Empire

Why even live anymore? ;_;
>>
>>6160
If the Roman Empire hadn't fell, modern Europe wouldn't exist.
>>
>>6160
The empire was beyond saving when it started (Christianity had already formed).
>>
>>4725
Brutus
>>
Sulla
>>
>>5125
Marcus was away warring for most of his sons life, he probably became an entitled shit since his father was away.
>>
File: 1426889758230.jpg (581 KB, 930x1235) Image search: [Google]
1426889758230.jpg
581 KB, 930x1235
He did the best with what he had and died like badass, which is more than can be said for 99% of the other emperors.
>>
File: augustus3.jpg (23 KB, 350x537) Image search: [Google]
augustus3.jpg
23 KB, 350x537
Augustus is to Rome what Goku is to DBZ. Contrarians will avoid him like the plague.
>>
>>6160
Why would you want to do that?
>>
>>6527
That's the worst analogy I've ever seen.
>>
>>4725
vespasian tbqh senpai
>>
Claudius, obviously.
>>
>>6679
I'm sure a lot of people on this board have a very romanticized (pun intended) view of the Roman Empire.
>>
>>5190
>>5245
Thirding
>>
>>4725
Diocletian.

It was his actions that led to the west surviving another century and a half, and the east surviving a millenia.
>>
>>6689
Nonetheless true.
>>
>>5598
This.
>>
>>5548
Now that I wonder were Lorica segmantata around during Constantine's times?

Anyways, Licinius best emperor coming through
>>
>>7434
I think there is evidence of segmentata dating from the third century so it's a possibility.
>>
File: Empire.png (9 KB, 694x396) Image search: [Google]
Empire.png
9 KB, 694x396
>>4725
Justinian
>>
>>7434

Segmentatas existed since very early times it just common for many people to afford or bother with them. Pre marian Roman Army was pretty rag-tag.
>>
>>7628

*Wasn't

Even legionaries didn't use them a lot.
>>
Elagabalus. Chaotic Evil, sold his boipussy right in the middle of his palace, fed people rocks: he was the epitome of Roman autism.
>>
Elagabalus
>>
Aurelian with Claudius and Alexios close by.
>>
Elagabalus. Intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humour.
>>
>Anybody saying Trajan
He literally did nothing but inherit the Empire at his peak and took it for a couple of wars, no real challenge. He is the spoiled brat who got a ferrari from his father and went for a ride.

Really great emperors are guys like Deoclitian who got an Empire in shambles and fixed the shit out of them
>>
File: redsaber.jpg (105 KB, 700x427) Image search: [Google]
redsaber.jpg
105 KB, 700x427
>>4725
The best.
>>
>>7675
He was actually Syrian though
>>
>>7761
Who is Caligula?
>>
File: 1442184090219.png (187 KB, 444x590) Image search: [Google]
1442184090219.png
187 KB, 444x590
>>7864
>>
File: 20111005_5268W.jpg (115 KB, 745x1080) Image search: [Google]
20111005_5268W.jpg
115 KB, 745x1080
>>5750
>>5709

Tiberius is a great emperor and solely underrated

Tiberius was not as tyrannical as sources (mostly Tacitus, Suetonius) say, but moreover a figure thrust into a job he didn't want, and deeply disillusioned by Roman politics and public life. Unlike Caligula and Nero, Tiberius wasn't concerned with power, notably retreating from Rome two times in his life. He genuinely attempted to involve himself in the daily affairs of Senatorial matters and encouraged dialogue and reform but ultimately was remembered as a meddler and paranoid ruler. After Augustus, Tiberius knew his reign was a hard act to follow, and simply is ignored because he did not reach the greatness of his predecessor.

>>5073

Thrax was the epitome of everything that was wrong with the Third Century crisis and literally nobody in Rome and its provinces cared that he was killed. He was a foreign general who never set foot once in Rome and whose disastrous management of funds alienated him from any group that could have saved him from his inevitable fate. Also, of course ancient sources are going to exaggerate that Thrax looked brutish - his foreign origin was exactly why his status as Emperor alienated absolutely everyone but his troops
>>
julian, and if you said

Constantine:
>I'm a christfag
Justinian:
>I'm a memer, ignorant about History
Anastasius / Constantine V / Maurice / Heraclius
>I actually read stuff
Julian:
>I'm a fedora pagan.
>>
>>7620
I thought Belisarius failed to push the Lombard out of northern Italy.
>>
>>7894
nature vs. nurture

If he were born anywhere else he would still be the epitome of Roman autism
>>
>>8003
If I recall correctly, to support Justinian's costly ego invasions into Italy he had to strip nearly all the wealth from Constantinople's population. Even then he could barely offer support to Belisarius.
>>
>>8149
In defense of Justinian, the plague really hurt the empire and would greatly damaged the finances even without the invasions.

But his invasions had two false assumptions
1-They would be fast, everyone would support the Emperor
2-They would pay for themselves.

Both were wrong (africa was fast but had tons of problems with raiding moors, italy took too much time, spain didn't hold out)

Not only that the empire had to spend cash and manpower to hold the newly conquered west, the provinces did not payed for themselves.

He ruined the abundant treasury that Anastasius created, he was an over spender over expansionist and a pussy who never left Constantinople for a battle the only time he tried to leave was due to Nika Revolt.

Compare him to Anastasius a brilliant Administrator or even Heraclius who although lost land did saved the Empire from utter destruction and personally lead soldiers in the battlefield.

Justinian is really overrated.
>>
>>8397
This nigga gets it. The only thing I give full credit is his initiative to reform the legal system. Otherwise, I don't think he was all that good in domestic or foreign policy.
>>
Nero desu
>>
File: claudius.jpg (152 KB, 552x800) Image search: [Google]
claudius.jpg
152 KB, 552x800
claudius.

http://www.history.com/news/8-things-you-may-not-know-about-emperor-claudius
>>
>>4725
Marcus Aurelius
>>
Marcus Aurelius. Based stoic.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.