[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Medieval Torture in Europe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: pear of anguish.jpg (52 KB, 488x488) Image search: [Google]
pear of anguish.jpg
52 KB, 488x488
Would it be false to assume that most """"""""""""""Christians"""""""""""""" in Europe had all these weird fucking ways of torture because they were simply sadistic assholes who enjoyed it? I know that all of it wasn't necessarily invented by Christians, but just the fact that they had all those weird "trials by ordeal", flaying etc. still in use is fucked up.

>This heretic has committed a crime, we should behead him to kill him quickly.
>Nah, how about we get him to the church, force a funnel into his throat and fill his ass up while some random dude stands next to me reading bible passages.

Discuss
>>
heretic detected
>>
Well, isn't suffering a very important part of Christian ideology? The martyrdom of Christ, suffering makes you holy, etc. etc. That's why there are Christian people who self-flagellate as well.
>>
>>470907
Yes, op. Pagan Europeans chucking people in metal bulls to bake alive or nailing them up in sticks or trees was the fault of Christians
>>
>>470907
Torture is used to make the criminal to confess his crimes. At the time, a confession obtained by torture was just as valid as what we consider now to be a voluntary one.

Execution by torture was limited to executions that didn't have the objective of just punishing the criminal, but also make him an example. This is the case of crimes like high treason or attempts of killing the ruler.

You could have more or less severe punishments, but torture in the strict sense of the world was limited to these two objectives: obtaining a confession (also useful in war) or striking fear in your subjects.
>>
>>470925

I see your point but why did it need to be so brutal? Why couldn't they have just whipped or crucified someone? Why did it have to be shit like "cut this guys skin off, then his limbs, then impale him and set him on fire. Jesus would be cool with that."

>>470929

Retard, didn't you see the part where I wrote that Christians didn't invent all of that shit but used a lot of it anyway.
>>
>>470907
The Choke-Pear was not a Christian invention at all, neither did any Christians use it, if I recall correctly, it was used by thieves and highwaymen during robberies.
A lot of so-called "medieval torture devices" were inventions of a later day to make the "Dark Ages" seem more horrible than they actually were.
>>
Trial by Ordeal was silly, one of them was holding a red-hot iron bar in bare hands for a minute
>>
>>470963

Yeah, or having to pick up a stone from a big pot filled with boiling water.
>>
>>470953
>why did it need to be so brutal?

Insecure monarchs. Jesus being cool or not doesn't matter because christianity doesn't play a role here.
>>
>>470951

For example, in England the default punishment for women convicted of treason or petty treason (coining, shrewery, murder of husband or father, bad luck) was death by burning. Men would be hanged, drawn, and quartered, but burning preserved the woman's modesty!

Also, when they put a satchel of gunpowder on the victims neck, it was supposed to be an act of mercy, but in reality weak gunpowder can't kill a person, but burn them pretty severely. For it to be effective you'd have to fill it with nails and such, obviously dangerous for a spectator sport.
>>
I went to the torture museum in Prague and popped the biggest boner.
>>
>>470907
>you will never be an Inquisitor
All I want in my life is some heretics to burn.
>>
>>470953
>Why couldn't they have just whipped or crucified someone?

Crucifixion is pretty fucking brutal. Plus crucifying someone probably would've been seen as sacrilegious.
>>
>>470961
>neither did any Christians use it, if I recall correctly, it was used by thieves and highwaymen during robberies.

Are you implying that thieves and highwaymen weren't Christian?
>>
>>470953
>>472893
Emperor Constantine forbade Crucifixion in the year 337 AD, as he saw it as sacrilegious and a insult towards Jesus
>>
>>473061
Constantine was an idolatrous fuck.
>>
OP is technically full of shit and his argument is to show Europeans in a bad light. The truth is that everyone tortured everyone back in the day, in extremely fucked up ways. Life was very different.
>>
>>470907
It pretty much proves that whether or not a person is religious, has zero to do with his moral character.

Same with slavery. The justification for slavery exists in the Bible, and yet the abolitionists also managed to cherry-pick some verse to allow them to resist slavery as well.

People just use religion to justify their own psychopathy or lack thereof.
>>
File: 1390673832673.jpg (12 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
1390673832673.jpg
12 KB, 250x251
>>471023

>bad luck
>>
This thread reminds me of that video (cute kittens inside!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwOYOQT12f4

Considering how executions were public i think it was just a form of allowed entertainment, obviously it became more and more elaborate with time.

For torture practices that weren't meant to be public i think it's just people's inherent sadism revealing itself
>>
>>470907
>only Christians tortured
Get a load of this guy
>>
>>471023
>was death by burning
To be fair, death by Burning is usually Death by Smoke inhalation.

It's brutal, but not as brutal as being hanged in an era before clean hangings.
>>
File: Get_a_load.jpg (44 KB, 776x602) Image search: [Google]
Get_a_load.jpg
44 KB, 776x602
>>473826
>ftfy
>>
>>470907
They didn't have enough iron in the middle ages to torture anyone .
Torture is from the Renaissance.
>>
>>470907
>Would it be false to assume that most """"""""""""""Christians"""""""""""""" in Europe had all these weird fucking ways of torture because they were simply sadistic assholes who enjoyed it?

Yes.

Because that assumption carries the implicit statement that we aren't sadistic assholes today. And that is wrong.
>>
>>470963
>>470974
>they actually did this

holy fuck
>>
>>474334
They still do stuff like that in some shitholes. I recall an article about some place with brown people in it, and the way they settle disputes is that the people involved in the dispute lick a heated piece of iron and then the village elder determines who is guilty by the marks on their tongues.
>>
>>470907
>Muh ebul christians!
Top fucking kek.
Take this shit back to /pol/ or /int/ where it belongs.
>>
>>474442
medieval europe was definetly a shithole
>>
>>474442
Yes its somwhere in Iraq, they still do it in some places today
>>474484
Europa back then wasent so bad it get a lot of shit becuse ppl still belive thae myth that everyone died in their 30, wore shitty brown cloths every one was sick etc etc and evrything was shit in general
>>
>>474334
It's thought that the church, which didn't believe in Trial by Ordeal but was required to administer it, would rig the results, say by allowing the "boiling" water to cool as they said an unnecessarily long blessing, or by swapping a hot iron for a cold one.
>>
>>474864
>Europa back then wasent so bad it get a lot of shit becuse ppl still belive thae myth that everyone died in their 30, wore shitty brown cloths every one was sick etc etc and evrything was shit in general
this.
I believe for many people life was even better than nowadays. I mean of course you don't have shit like 4chan, computer, video games, cars, etc. but if you think about it you realize that you could have a happy life without all that as well. Food without chemicals, clean air, .. you can't find it anymore. Even if you plant your own plants in the garden their genes are manipulated and some vitamins are missing.

Also people used to work maximum 20h a week. That is nothing compared to these days.
>>
>>475195
>I believe for many people life was even better than nowaday
No... even for the aristocracy (The 1%) life definitely is better today.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.