[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Had Islam ever been tolerant or peaceful ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: islam dominatehe-UK1.jpg (160 KB, 964x643) Image search: [Google]
islam dominatehe-UK1.jpg
160 KB, 964x643
Had Islam ever been tolerant or peaceful ?
>>
>>470819
Define "peaceful" and "tolerant",
>>
>>470850
The ideology adopted by early christians and the current Western world (aka "you're trying to kill me but I still love you lol")
>>
no, they get triggered very easily to be muslim is to submit to discord.
>>
>>470859
>bitching about a couple annoying fundies in a thread about the most violent and backwards ideology in the world today

Tips fedora m8
>>
abrahamic religions are terrorist religions by their nature
>>
>>470859
>"you're trying to kill me but I still love you lol"
I don't think that ever happened anywhere.
>>
>>470884
Wut?
Im denouncing the blind tolerance of early christians ("they put us in colosseum but lets forgive them") and modern Westerners ("hurr not all muslims durr")
>>
>>470898
Just look at current Europe and islam
>>
File: iraq-france.jpg (58 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
iraq-france.jpg
58 KB, 620x349
>>470859

>aka "you're trying to kill me but I still love you lol"

And we're gonna keep loving the everloving shit out of you until you get it.
>>
>>470901

Sounds to me like you're being very selective about what people in current Europe you're talking about considering half those countries are presently involved in military action in the middle east.
>>
>>470918
go back to /pol/, achmed
>>
>>470899
>"they put us in colosseum but lets forgive them"
[citation needed]
It doesn't seem like Christians forgave Nero even centuries later, and early Christians even held a grudge against Jews for killing Jesus.
>>
>>470819
Most religions, namely Christianity and Islam, were violent until recently. Today that is not the case.
>>
>>470819
>Had Islam ever been tolerant or peaceful ?

None of the Abrahamic religions are tolerant or peaceful.
>>
>>470819
Ottomans were OK.

The Arabs were pretty liberal in North-Africa and Iberia while they were in control (until the Berber revolts).

This isn't to say they were outwardly peaceful, but you could live in their midst, and Jews were actually well off in Al-Andalus, at first.
>>
Didn't Islam begin with a ton of conquests? While Christianity just spread through disciples and missionaries?
>>
File: 1394489002483.gif (1 MB, 311x240) Image search: [Google]
1394489002483.gif
1 MB, 311x240
>>473041
>While Christianity just spread through disciples and missionaries?
>>
>>473057
I meant not long after the death of Christ.
>>
>>473060
The only reason Christianity is the dominant religion in the West, is because the Roman Empire made it the state religion.
>>
File: A03_DurerPortrait[1].jpg (66 KB, 325x461) Image search: [Google]
A03_DurerPortrait[1].jpg
66 KB, 325x461
>>473041
>While Christianity just spread through disciples and missionaries?

Are you fucking serious?
>>
>>473081
And do you think the Emperor chose it based on personal whim?
>>
>>473081
I'm a Muslim, but it was already on the rise anyways.
>>
>>473041
>>
>>473102
It was on the rise, yes, but it still wouldn't have spread as much as it did without the state forcing it.

Islam and Christianity spread the same way. The only difference is that Christianity started with a large empire under their control. and even then they still conquered and forced their beliefs just as much as Muslims or any other religion did.
>>
>>473116
Christianity spread within the Roman Empire despite heavy persecution, until it was tolerated and eventually adopted. That's the opposite of state enforcement.
>>
>>473129
Christianity spread, yes, but it was still a minority religion until the Emperors adopted it and began forcing it.
>>
>>470819
Just because you see it every day in the news doesn't make it true.
>>
>>470819
No
>>
>>470819
Relatively speaking:

>Al-Andalus
>Abbasids
>Ottomans (SOMETIMES)
>>
>>473098
Constantine, giant nigger that he is, adopted Christianity for a massive power grab. So yes. Personal whim.
>>
Yes, most of the time, actually. The original Christianities still survive in Egypt and Syria since 7th century, so do Zoroastrians in Iran. These "minorities" groups were actual majority until 11th century, long after the conquest. Nor did Ottomans tried to enforce Islam on anyone. Contrast it with the fate of Pagans and Jews in Europe, Muslims in Spain and non-Catholics (i.e. everyone) during Crusaders to appreciate Islamic tolerance in the context.
There were occasional burst of prosecutions, of course, but they were exceptions, not the rules.
>>
>>475164
Constantin didn't adopt Christianity for the Empire, he legalized and supported it. It was made the official religion 50 years later.
>a massive power
What power grab? Christianity hold at most 5% of population, and was unpopular in the army - the most important thing for any kind of power grab. His conversion was the result of his personal conviction, not some kind of Machiavellian political move.
>>
>>471084
Are you from bizzaro /pol/ where an "Ahmad" is welcome in /pol/ and you are not?
>>
>>470819
Certainly. Before Urban II began the crusades, it was far easier being a Christian in Syria than it was being a Muslim in Europe. Society as a whole was rougher back then, but if you were a non-muslim living in the Caliphate, generally the worst that could happen to you would be an extra tax. Jerusalem itself had very successfully integrated all the Abrahamic religions.
>>
>>475139
Also the Mughals.
>>
>>475316
>akbar was tolerant for half his life
>every one else was a islamic koolaid drinker
>"MUGHALS WERE TOLERANT GUISE"
>>
>>470819
I'm a muslim.
but do you know what I've done to them if I'm in charge of the government?

I'll find information about each of them, put their name in tv broadcast, and give nationwide warning that what have they done is a treason.

and what save them is a secular law, a freedom of speech the public goods from democaracy. If this islamic state with islamic law, hey will be executed
>>
Islam isn't a monolithic object, so asking "had Islam ever X" is sort of silly because Islam doesn't 'do' anything without human agency, and because Islam is like any other, it can mean or 'do' any sort of policy you like. Essentialism is fucking dumb.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.