[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is the deal with this country? It's a Romance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4
File: romania.png (367 KB, 1198x1024) Image search: [Google]
romania.png
367 KB, 1198x1024
What the fuck is the deal with this country? It's a Romance speaking country surrounded completely by Serbs (and dirty Magyars), is no where near close to the heart of the Roman Empire, yet call their country "the land of the Romans", and is pretty much the only place where East Romance languages are spoken.

Why do they still speak a Romance language? Why did they speak one to begin with? Why is their country name so blatant for a backwater land?
>>
Romania is the only true heir to the Roman Empire.
>>
Truly the Mexicans of Europe.
>>
>>470213
What's with all the Romania threads lately
>>
>>470213
>>470213
It was a Roman province you fucking degenerate
>>
>>470305
So was the rest of the Balkans but they're not speaking Romance languages.
>>
>>470319
It is where the Romance speaking population was driven by the migration of the Slavs, Romania in general has a lot of slavic toponyms, words and culture, however in the middleages the romance speaking population Walachians (e.g. Walach, Welsh - latin speaker, roman citizen) were more dominant than the Slavs thus their language was superimposed. Similar thing you had in Hungary, with Moravian Slavs being culturaly superimposed by turkic Magyars.
>>
>>470330
that makes sense
>>
>>470330
I thought Magyars were Ugrian?
>>
Its not the only East Romance language left, Dalmatian is still around, but its very very small compared to romanian
>>
>>470539
I take that back, Dalmatian went extinct in 1898
>>
>>470533
They're "turkic" to people that don't hold them in regard, since the word t*rk holds negative connotations these days.

Truth is, they're nondescript and heavily mixed steppe nomads out of the thousand and one tribes that wanted to try their luck west.
>>
>>470330
I thought the Carpathian basin was inhabited by Germanic tribes before the Magyars came?
>>
>>470213
>by Serbs
And Ukrainians
And Bulgarians
>>
>>470330
Its like Bulgaria, only the Bulgar elite was gradualy slavicized, but the country name means "land of the Bulgars" (Both the Bulgar tribe and the modern nation are called "Blgari" there is no different name for the Bulgars like in English"
>>
Op is a faggot
>>
>>470533
>>470572

It's just a common mistake because steppe nomad migrators are often identified with turko-altaic peoples. It helps that the hungarian nationalist themselves supported turanism because nationalists and romantics never know jack shit about history.
>>
>>470823
No germanic tribe that I know about managed to impose it's language on a latin-speaking population outside of the British isles.
>>
>>470896
Switzerland? Austria? Flanders? They were Roman provinces back in the day.
>>
>>470903
Or Franks in Northern France for that matter. French (and especially older French) is a lot more Germanic than Occitan and other Romance languages.
>>
>>470937
As Wiki puts it:

"The Old Frankish language had a definitive influence on the birth of Old French, which partly explains why the earliest attested Old French documents are older than the earliest attestations in other Romance languages (e.g. Strasbourg Oaths, Sequence of Saint Eulalia).[12] It is the result of an earlier gap created between Latin and the new language, which severed the intercomprehensibility between the two. The Old Low Franconian influence is also believed to be responsible for the differences between the langue d′oïl and the langue d′oc (Occitan), being that various parts of Northern France remained bilingual between Latin and Germanic for some time,[13] and these areas correspond precisely to where the first documents in Old French were written. This Germanic language shaped the popular Latin spoken here and gave it a very distinctive identity compared to the other future Romance languages. The very first noticeable influence is the substitution of the Latin melodic accent by a Germanic stress[14] [...] Additionally, two phonemes that had long since died out in Vulgar Latin were reintroduced [...]

Pope (1934) estimated that perhaps still 15% of the vocabulary of modern French derives from Germanic sources (while the proportion was larger in Old French, because the French language borrowed heavily from Latin and Italian)."
>>
Romanian here, ask me anything.
>>
File: 1447348255186.jpg (195 KB, 577x534) Image search: [Google]
1447348255186.jpg
195 KB, 577x534
>>470962
And with that I killed this thread.
>>
>>470983
>>470983
More like stole the thread, amirite guys?
>>
>>471005
Haha, go kek yourself.
>>
>>470962
>>470983
nah just everyone knows you are the pepeposting faggot from /pol/
>>
>>470962
Do you live in Romania?
>>
>>471018
I do!
>>
>>471014
Yeah, I'm taking a break from shitposting.
>>
>>470572
>t*rk
What's the deal with this asterisk? I see it all the time.
>>
>>471080

Memes.
>>
File: _bw_6961633563.jpg (149 KB, 936x702) Image search: [Google]
_bw_6961633563.jpg
149 KB, 936x702
>>471080
being called a turk is an insult in europe since the middle ages. t*rk as c*nt, sh*t etc.

>>470572
>They're "turkic" to people that don't hold them in regard
they are also themselves pan-turanists, picrel
>>
Modern Romanians are descendants of the Vlachs who lived in the Carpathian mountains practicing pastoral transhumance and were relatively unhassled by the following succession of states who didn't give a shit about them or even allied with the ones technically outside of their dominion:

The Avars
The Bulgarian Empire
The Magyar Principality/Kingdom of Hungary
The Pechenegs (possibly)
Cumania
Bulgaria, again
The Mongol Empire/Golden Horde
The Ottoman Empire
>>
>>471207
Basically, whenever you see weird ethnolinguistic anomalies on a map, it's mountains. The answer is always mountains.
>>
us romanian and cigani are no different

we are just latin speaking cigani

t. Albert Barbescu
>>
>>470213
A bunch of romanised isolated peasant lowlifes that later created their own country after all the great warrior nations were done raping and pillaging their land.
>>
>>470213
the same way romance languages were introduced to France

Dacia, like Gaul, was a fledgling civilization that had just emerged from a loose collection of tribes before it was conquered and could be easily influenced to speak latin, between dacia and italia lied the hellenic world where greek remained the lingua franca, hence Dacia's linguistic separation from Italy.
>>
>>471420
greek wasn't the most spoken language in most of the balkans or illyria, so not quite
>>
You got to understand Romainian identity is a 19. century creation. Before that Wallachian, Moldavian and Transylsvanian Romanianes didnt have much to do with each other. There was a colourful cultural variety in the region that was wreked by Wallachian attempts of dominance and later finished during the communist dictatorship.

The balkan romance peoples were originally heavily slavified and much of their language was 'purified' in the 1800s by massive adoption of French words. Basically you got these small groups of romance speaking survival groups but one of them managed to force an identitfy and history on top of all, from to to bottom. These continue to date with Romanian governements declaring all romance speakers of the Balkans 'Romanian' and thus artifically increasing their numbers.
>>
>>471080
It's based on a Turkish newspaper that censored Kurd like K*rd just after a terrorist attack. /int/ mememasters took the fake censorship and ran with it to create T*rk.
>>
>>470213
Hungary>ROMAnia
>>
>>472232
I agree. We're catching up tho, considering how corrupt and retarded your prime-minister is. Why the fuck do you keep voting him?
>>
>>472241
I didn't. The guy is an obvious EU kukold. He is tyranny incarnate but my country doesn't seem to understand.
>>
>>472253
Shit mayne, I was actually looking up to you fellas. It appears stupidity has no borders in Central/Eastern Europe.
>>
>>472260
I hope the bastard chokes on his own vomit. Piss be upon him. What I hate even more is the /pol/tards praising him.
>>
>>472274
While I agree with you, I have not seen something as salty on this board since Scipio fell off his horse after the siege of Carthage
>>
>>472283
Its my country he is ruining with his money grubbing and his giving over of Hungary to Brussels.
>>
>>470282
Romanians are incredibly loud about living in their shitty country and are convinced that it is both great and not infested with gypsies.
>>
>>472291
>infested with gypsies
I thought we were supposed to be gypsies. Make your mind up faggot, I don't even know how to shitpost back.

>shitty
Yeah, kind of. Booze is cheap and chicks are probably better than anything you'll ever find in your country tho
>>
>>470962
>>471041
>>472287

I have a question. What is the principle problem facing the Romanian economy right now? When did it start to become a problem?
>>
>>472485
Corruption, nepotism and incompetence.

Caused by the communist regime.
>>
>>472678
Also, it became a problem since the fall of communism in Romania, 1996.
>>
File: imgres.jpg (9 KB, 191x264) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
9 KB, 191x264
im pretty sure its because of trajan. made the dacians eat shit until they resembled romans
>>
>>472716
Dacian would of been an interesting culture to survive. Wonder what they would of evolved into without the roman influence.
>>
>>472750
probably like Hungarian or Bulgarian
>>
>>471242
I thought we were Slavs. I'm having an identity crisis here, man, come on.
>>
>>472682
>1996
hmm...
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.