[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw the "revolutionary" philosophies of rationalism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: Rene-Descartes_1214990c.jpg (25 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
Rene-Descartes_1214990c.jpg
25 KB, 460x288
>mfw the "revolutionary" philosophies of rationalism and empiricism in the 17th-18th century were simply recycled scholastic arguments in western theology
>>
dualism is a mental illness.
>>
File: 1449195356159.jpg (81 KB, 624x671) Image search: [Google]
1449195356159.jpg
81 KB, 624x671
>mfw the "revolutionary" ideas of scholasticism were simply recycled Aristotle and Plato
>>
>>468458
One thing atheists and theists can all agree on
>>
>>468458
Aristotelian view of substance is more sensible than anything the moderns came up with.
>>
>>468447
Yes and existentialism is just psychological spinozanism.

Postru is just the death of god applied to meaning.

I fucked your mum.
>>
>>468466
Yeah that's kind of whole point of the Renaissance and Enlightenment eras: rediscovering the philosophy and culture of the Ancient Times.
>>
>>468466
>mfw the "revolutionary" ideas of Platonism were simply recycled Ugh the caveman
>>
>>468514
What do you mean? Scholasticism was medieval.
>>
File: cms_0.jpg (139 KB, 800x562) Image search: [Google]
cms_0.jpg
139 KB, 800x562
>>468481
Quantum mechanics has proven Aristotles infinite universe concept wrong
>>
>>468582
Analytical philosophy has proven that waifus exist and love us.
>>
>>468605
http://philpapers.org/archive/SINPG
>>
>>468447
But Descartes dualism is trash. As a matter of fact literally everything he wrote is now defunct, it was historically important in the sense that he got the ball rolling and paved the way for the secular thought that saved philosophy.
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 155x185) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 155x185
>>468447

Not in important ways. Scholasticism was much more resistant to questioning Christian dogmas, especially if those dogmas couldn't be established on independent philosophical grounds. Modern philosophy was much more about "what can my own faculty of rationality teach me about existence, without relying on external authorities?"

This is a generalization, of course; philosophers like Descartes and Leibniz and Kant preserved, even if unintentionally, assumptions and biases of the Christian traditions that informed their thinking. Also, we can find medieval examples of thinkers who attempted to establish orthodox conclusions upon secular grounds, like Anselm, and thinkers who were threatening to traditional lines of thought, like Nicholas of Autrecourt.
>>
Science has determined that rationalism is a bullshit ideology for superstitious thinkers. The debate only persists in philosophy circles because philosophy is stuck in the stone age as it usually is.
>>
>>468921
>Science has determined
Kuhn, Lakatos, [Feyerabend.].
>>
File: 1415151547343.jpg (76 KB, 560x541) Image search: [Google]
1415151547343.jpg
76 KB, 560x541
>>468921
>Science has determined that rationalism is a bullshit ideology for superstitious thinkers.
>>
>>468926
Elmo.

>>468928
>synthetic a priori knowledge
>outdated notions of how the mind works
>advocated mainly by religious morons and scientifically illiterate secularists like thomas nagel
>not full of shit
Rationalism did not survive the test of time. I'm sorry to break the news to you.
>>
>>468956
I myself am against rationalism, but it was not science that refuted it.
>>
>>468956
>>468921
What's wrong with rationalism?
>>
>>468963
What refuted it?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.