[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could Germany and Austria ever unite into one state?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
Could Germany and Austria ever unite into one state?
>>
>>467545
As of today, not legally.
>>
>>467561
Why not?
>>
>>467566
Anschlussverbot
>>
>>467545
Makes me think, why did Bismarck want Kleindeutschland instead of Grossdeutschland?

Did he think Prussia's power would be limited by admitting Austrians? Was it religious issues?
>>
>>467545
They did in 1938 iirc
>>
File: 1406120576821.png (414 KB, 480x511) Image search: [Google]
1406120576821.png
414 KB, 480x511
>>467545
>>
>>467740
Greater Germany would have polarized the power between the Protestant north (Prussia) and the Catholic south (Bavaria, Austria) which would have caused political instability
>>
>>467740
Maybe because unification was basically Prussian dominion over all other germans and Austrian was powerful enough to avoid being absorbed, Bavaria unfortunately, was not.
>>
What else do germans and austrians have in common other than language? Somebody please enlighten me
>>
>>467801
Ethnicity
Culture
Religion (sort of)
>>
File: 66149.jpg (361 KB, 953x1760) Image search: [Google]
66149.jpg
361 KB, 953x1760
>>467545

Austrians have always been an awful influence on poor, simple and hardworking Germany. Austria likes to play the victim, but they're cocksuckers.
>>
>>467801
Austrians and Prussians - nothing (not even the language desu, actual austrian is different than prussian)

Austrians and Bavarians / Swabians - essentially the same people, from customs, to language to heritage.
>>
>>467801
The parts of Germany that border Austria? Pretty much everything. But Germany is kinda diverse.
>>
>>467801
The only thing that seperates Germany and Austria is their pride
>>
If Germany and Austria Anchlussed in 2016, would anyone stop it? Would anyone really care?
>>
>>467914
I'm sure residents and politicians of both countries would have some grievances, but internationally it would not be a huge deal - except maybe to Russia

The fact they're both within the EU makes it that much easier
>>
>>467914
>would anyone stop it? Would anyone really care?

yes Austrians.

if Bavaria decided to become a part of Austria, most would welcome it, but whole of Germany, with piefkes governing in Berlin, no fucking way.
>>
>>467901

well said

half austrian says thats right

bayern is most austrian germany, vienna most german (but fuck your studenten mit schlechten noten)
>>
what difference would it make? They are already sister nations. It will be hard to make two countries legally and operatively functional. Makes no sense really.
>>
>>468100
>Vienna
>German

Come on, anon.
>>
>>469998
You are right it is turkish
>>
File: at-1919s.gif (4 KB, 325x217) Image search: [Google]
at-1919s.gif
4 KB, 325x217
>>467545
As of now: Not likely.
Austria still is *technically* neutral, even though the state is part of the EU.
Russia would get butflustered, if Germany and Austria decided to join.

In my opinion, I also don't think it is feasable for Austria to get Anschlussed. I grew up in Austria and got to know the countless different ethnic groups and the general sentiment of the Austrian population is this: They fucking hate everything north of Bavaria.

They won't go civil war to demand secession, but it basically would give far right parties even more votes. 'Austria for the Austrians' and other shit. It also would be a major headache for Berlin to sort out the bogged bureaucracy in Austria. There 9 federal states in Austria, each has a an assembly and they enjoy some freedoms in ther governance.
Each of these states is really fucking small and wastes a crapload of money on petty shit.

If Austria somehow mnages to become a 3rd world shithole in the next couple of years, then maybe a Union with Germany may be possible, but as of now: The Economy and the wealth of the people in Austria is far to strong to even consider something like that.
>>
File: 1414529855580.png (55 KB, 630x840) Image search: [Google]
1414529855580.png
55 KB, 630x840
>>467740
Austria still had Hungary, Bohemia, parts of Northern Italy and parts of the Western Balkans.

Taking the head off that Empire would have left a power vacuum that no one wanted. Bismarck declared "saturation" after the German Empire was founded, which is basically a guarantee to not blob any further. That is obviously good for foreign relations after 10 years of war to get all German territory into the Reich.

And if you take into account what Bismarck did after the unification of the German states, which was just creating alliances to secure Germany's position and cuck France out of any diplomatic alliance, a strong and allied Austria on a Balkan trip was not against his interest.

Also, what the other anons said, with Austrians bringing instability and most likely revolting, religiously motivated or not. They were an independent state for hundreds of years after all, and for more than half a century they were an Empire at the time.
>>
>>467740
Absorbing Austria meant the possible loss of its Empire, and that would mean several new French/Russian allies on the Balkans (just like after WW1).
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.