[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>A scold's bridle, sometimes called a brank's bridle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: scold.jpg (1 MB, 1376x1320) Image search: [Google]
scold.jpg
1 MB, 1376x1320
>A scold's bridle, sometimes called a brank's bridle or simply branks, was an instrument of punishment used primarily on women, as a form of torture and public humiliation.[1] The device was an iron muzzle in an iron framework that enclosed the head. A bridle-bit (or curb-plate), about 2 inches long and 1 inch broad, projected into the mouth and pressed down on top of the tongue.[2]

>The curb-plate was frequently studded with spikes, so that if the offender moved her tongue, it inflicted pain and made speaking impossible.[3] Wives who were seen as witches, shrews and scolds, were forced to wear the branks, locked onto their head.

What are other public humiliations and Punishments from history?
>>
Hnng
>>
>>466870
I wonder what these women did to get punished like this?
>>
>>467018
Wives who were seen as witches, shrews and scolds, were forced to wear the branks, locked onto their head.
>>
Kinky.
>>
>>467021
The fuck is a shrew? Scold?
>>
File: torture branks scolds bridle2.jpg (197 KB, 640x1134) Image search: [Google]
torture branks scolds bridle2.jpg
197 KB, 640x1134
>tfw shouldn't have nagged
>>
>>466870
I used to masturbate to this picture when I was 12
>>
>>467071
Lewd
>>
>>466870

We need to bring those back, IMO.
>>
>>467045
>shrew
difficult
>scold
Do you really need help with this one
>>
>>467071
'Taming of the Shrew' is essentially a comedic sexual domination fantasy.
>>
Public humiliation should be a more common punishment for women
>>
>>467195
Doesn't this fall under "cruel and unusual" punishment?
>>
>>467203
Nothing wrong with cruel and usual as long as it works, you would be a lot less likely to torrent illegally if once caught you had to stand in the middle of town wearing a sign that says "I am a thief"
>>
>>467246
Are torrents illegal?
>>
File: holy ass.jpg (511 KB, 752x640) Image search: [Google]
holy ass.jpg
511 KB, 752x640
Public spanking was in vogue during some parts of the French Revolution. In some areas, nuns who refused to take the Civil Oath (essentially you had to swear loyalty to the nation/government over the Catholic Church, a big nono for clergy) were dragged into public squares, held down, had their skirts flipped and their asses spanked.

It was also routinely suggested in revolutionary papers that Marie Antoinette and other aristocratic ladies, particularly her favorites, undergo various public punishments. One pamphlet suggested that Marie Antoinette should do penance by having her head shaved and being forced to do public sweeping while wearing only an itchy grain sack. Another said she and her favorites should be paraded naked in the Place Louis XV wearing boards that described their crimes. Another said her favorites should be stripped and publicly spanked for 'defrauding the French treasury.'
>>
>>467286
Torrents aren't but using them to pirate films, games and music is illegal people just do it because they know they can get away with it
>>
It's amazing how much wiser people were in previous eras. A simple, elegant solution for a common problem.
>>
>>467333
Muh dick
>>
>>467333
now I'm all hot and bothered o///o
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.