[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to study religions as much as I possibly can. Is pic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: religions.jpg (1 MB, 1297x902) Image search: [Google]
religions.jpg
1 MB, 1297x902
I want to study religions as much as I possibly can.
Is pic related a good way to start? How many faiths is it missing?
>>
>>466057
Everything before 500 BC is a total bullshit. Everything after - just a regular bullshit.
>>
>>466057
This chart p much totally misses the point of religious studies and is filled w lots of weird Western-centric misperceptions or oversimplifications
>>
>How many faiths is it missing?

As you go back further and further more and more
>>
>>466309
Such as?
>>
>>466057
>to study religions
this is what the rationalist believe.

you do understand that to even take seriously the concept of study of a religion is biased and shows plebbery ?

it is like saying you want to study meditation through books. you will not know what you talk about.

A religion is a practice before all. only the chatolics think that rationalism leads to anything else but sterility.

Catholicism took the rationalist trend as opposed to Orthodoxy's mysticism. That said, the monastic life that is the main draw between Buddhism and Christianity was largely shut down by the Reformation in Europe. The Reformation was not only anti-clerical but anti-monastic so Europe's contemplative tradition is more older material and thus harder to get into for the Catholic parts of Europe that retained the monastic tradition despite. There was exceptions though. The Imitation of Christ is the standard go-to book for Catholic ascetic, akin to Orthodoxy's Ladder of Divine Ascent. More recently there is Thomas Merton who is a mid-20th century contemplative and fantastic author on both the western tradition and it in comparison to Eastern religions.
>>
>>466072
Every religion ever is total bullshit.
>>
>>466367
Calm down. By "study" I just mean "learn about". And "as much as possible" obviously doesn't mean going in-depth or practicing.
I also can't understand what you're trying to say. One can't learn about things that fall into mysticism, otherwise it becomes rationalism?
>>
File: 1438484379479.gif (1 MB, 292x278) Image search: [Google]
1438484379479.gif
1 MB, 292x278
>>466377

>>466394
he means you can't truly know a religion unless you practice it you mook
>>
>>466473
>he means you can't truly know a religion unless you practice it you mook
My idea isn't to "truly" know every religion. I already practice one. Other religions are just interesting, I don't see what's criminal about wanting to study them.
>>
>>466529
Then read this:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Worlds-Wisdom-Sacred-Religions/dp/0060663421
>>
>>466590
>http://www.amazon.com/The-Worlds-Wisdom-Sacred-Religions/dp/0060663421
Interesting, but seems like it's just bits and parts of the actual sacred texts. Will look into it anyway, thanks.
>>
>>466057
It always saddens me a little when people don't know about this book. In this carefully-researched tome, Armstrong details the intricate history of the Abrahamic faiths, outlining how the religions evolved over time. Meticulously researched and thoroughly explained are many common religious topics, such as the evolution of paganism into monotheism, the notion of polytheism and a Trinity, the inception of Islam and the antics of Muhammad, and even the role of Eastern philosophy and the influence of Hinduism and Buddhism upon the Middle East. This is a one-stop education of history by itself.

But perhaps you may be more interested in her other book, The Great Transformation, it covers all the ancient religions instead of just Abrahamic
>>
>>466057
>No Zalmoxis
>No Zun
Crap list
>>
>>466675

I'd like to add this one to it
>>
>>466675
Now that's really good. I just ordered both books and-
>>466723
fuck
I'll do with what I just ordered, that already hurt my wallet
Thanks Anon
>>
>>466638
It is but you get a very good overview of each religion.
>>
>>466367
>don't study religions
>but I'll write you a primer just in case
>>
File: 1315765869311.jpg (23 KB, 400x297) Image search: [Google]
1315765869311.jpg
23 KB, 400x297
>>466733
>I just ordered both books

Glad I could help, anon
>>
>>468225
studying religion is reading cooking recipes without having cooked once nor planning to cook.
>>
sutta class live

>>>/lit/7504538
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.