[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How could the US government realistically and effectively bring
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: cruise-xenu.png (2 MB, 1216x789) Image search: [Google]
cruise-xenu.png
2 MB, 1216x789
How could the US government realistically and effectively bring down Scientology? This is an organization that twisted the IRS' arm for tax exemption and has both bent and outright broken the law countless times to grow and get what they want, and almost any one or anything that's tried to challenge them have failed in one way or another. If the Feds came to a unanimous decision to take down the Scientology empire, how could they manage it?
>>
Same way the feds always do this shit.

>have FBI watch everyone until somebody slips up
>RICO indictment
>everyone goes to club fed
>>
>>600418
Scientology is a fully recognized and established religion, with its own canon and holy books and rituals, and is therefore entitled to the same treatment under US law as any other religion, regardless of whether you like them or not, regardless of whether or not L. Ron Hubbard was a bad guy, regardless of what you think about any of it. To accomplish what you suggest, the government would have to "bring down" all religions and religious organizations, and you can ask the commies how well that worked out.
Freedom of religion is one of the great things about being American, and if you don't like people choosing to believe in whatever they want to believe, you can go practice sharia law in Europe.
>>
File: 14495696478660.png (97 KB, 552x800) Image search: [Google]
14495696478660.png
97 KB, 552x800
>>600418
> How could the US government realistically and effectively bring down Scientology?
Put TANKY government in charge for a few months?

Oh, wait. You meant realistically. I guess, you'll have to ask Martians to intervene, or something.

No, seriously. It is possible to take down Scientology either by cracking down on all the religions (Bible Belt gonna have kittens), or by singling out Scientology (that basically implies choosing "proper" religions and going fundie - everyone else gonna have kittens). Neither is realistic.

Ergo - Scientology will persist and prosper. Convert today.

>>600492
This works only against sufficiently small "enterprises". Scientology is big nowadays.
>>
>>600508
They're an established religion because they bullied and extorted the government into classifying them as such, and that's just one example. To say that this is just one person's personal resentment of a "religion" shows a serious lack of understanding of what Scientology actually is and is responsible for.
>>
>>600533
It fits all the same criteria as any other established religion. Saying otherwise just shows a serious lack of understanding of what religion, in general, means.
>>
>>600508
t. bait
>>
>>600553
If the Catholic Church did half the shit the scientologists did I'd want them out of the country too
>>
>>600508
Scientologist detected
>>
>>600553
Radical Islam fits all the same criteria as any other established religion, it doesn't mean we should be accepting of them.
>>
>>600587
> half
They did at least ten times more. They've simply done them in the past.
>>
>Ron Hubbard was a notorious liar and con man and scientology is a fake religion and should be brought down
>Mormonism somehow is ok
>>
>>600621
>Leave Scientology
>They try to ruin your life completely and assassinate your character so you have to come back

>Leave LDS Church
>They take your magic underwear
>>
>>600621
When the Mormons start infiltrating the US government, I'll be against them as well. Face it, nobody is going to take your bullshit scientology shilling. Nobody gives a shit with the fact that scientologists believe in crazy bullshit, that's what every religion does at a basic level. The problem is with all of the countless illegal things they've done as an organization.
>>
>>600819
And that's the point: "officially" they're a religion, but in reality they're a cult business. Bullying, intimidation, extortion, slander and defamation, blackmail, fraud, espionage, physical and psychological abuse on an assembly-line scale, and David Miscavige is a grade-A creep. It's more of a cult than a religion, and one of the most blatantly business-style ones at that. Other cults that break the law get raided by the FBI or ATF, but that's because they don't have the power and influence to deter the feds as Scientology does.
>>
>>600595
Ah yes, the denomination of 'Radical Islam'
>>
Gas Camps?
>>
>>600519
Scientology is very small compared to stuff that's been killed by Rico.
>>
>>600861
I don't know why we don't just arrest the head of radical islam.
>>
>>600861
Its called Wahhabism and Salafism
>>
>>600418
I fail to see why ANY religion should have tax exemption. But if one, than all. Eve the more nuttball ones. Although they are all pretty nutty desu
>>
>>600418

I don't see why they shouldn't have the same status as any other religion.

Scientology is no more whacky than Christianity.
>>
>>604049
Because religions are not for profit....

It's like this, imagine you get a little role play club together and start a club house. And you all chip in money to fund your little club, and it's not for profit, but just a role playing club members can contribute to (but don't have to, Mormonism aside) in order to keep it running. The government would not tax this, and so why should they tax religion?
>>
File: you.jpg (38 KB, 400x339) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
38 KB, 400x339
>>604078
>Because religions are not for profit....
>>
>>604082
They aren't anymore than public parks are.
>>
>>604082
And how is that an argument?
>>
>>604078
>>604082
They may not be FOR profit but they, as a matter of fact, DO MAKE a profit. And pretty big ones I might add.

>>604078
>a little role play club
I actually have such a club! It’s not very big, only four members. But all the money that is put in is for the sole purpose of supporting the club and its members. Guess we deserve exempt status also.
>>
>>604187
Your club already has tax exempt status.

Did you file taxes for your club last year?
>>
>>604187
>They may not be FOR profit but they, as a matter of fact, DO MAKE a profit. And pretty big ones I might add.
No, they don't. They make no profit, because there are no shareholders.

>Guess we deserve exempt status also
Don't you already have it?
>>
>>604192
>Did you file taxes for your club last year?
well, it it's not, like, optional.
>>
>>604204
Yes, it is. If your club is not a profit enterprise, then it doesn't have to pay taxes. If you don't know this and the club is paying taxes, then I suggest you immediately file to get it reclassified, because you certainly don't have to.
>>
>>604201
>no shareholders
That's not a requierment for profit! Learn2economy

If a church buys a building for $200,000.- and than later sells it for $250,000.- that's a profit.
Cut. And. Dry.
>>
>>604213
>>604201
>>604192
Nobody gets that I described a family?
>>
>>604217
What about inflation?
>>
>>604221
Pretty sure the clergy pays taxes.
>>
Scientology is socially lynced. All the heads went over to Mormonism.
>>
>>600861
Epic my brown friend.
>>
they're pretty damned shady cunts they are
>>
>>600612

raus
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.