[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_ anti-Sikh_riots >Sik
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: Indira_Gandhi_1977.jpg (195 KB, 800x1134) Image search: [Google]
Indira_Gandhi_1977.jpg
195 KB, 800x1134
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_anti-Sikh_riots

>Sikh bodyguards kill Hindu prime minister
>Hindus start a pogrom of Sikhs, government turns a blind eye
>Only 3000 die

How is it that something this inflammatory and religiously charged occuring in a non-1st world country could only result in 3000 deaths?

Is something like this really not enough to trigger a full-blown genocide?
>>
Sikhs are brotier
>>
Sikhs are bro
>>
Just a guess but Sikhs likely would have defended themselves.
>>
Hindindus were prob about to kill sikhs, but because the sikhs were bro tier, the sikhs were probably playing football and when they saw the hindindus they was like "some hindudes, wanna play football with us?" and the hindindus became hindudes and saw that the sikhs were bro tier and not mudslimes.
>>
>only 3000 die
That's about the death toll of 9/11 and America's still salty about it.
>>
>>465296
They beat them to death. 3000 died, so I'm pretty sure there were a ton more that were injured/wounded.
>>
>>465519
Sikhs are bro tier so the Hindis probably didn't went along with the plan
>>
>>465296
>Hindu prime minister
Cease this meme
>only result in 3000 deaths?
3000 is a big number
>>
brotier 2bbqh
>>
>>465600
No it isn't, maybe for a western country where people watch TV all day.
>>
File: SikhFam.jpg (96 KB, 491x478) Image search: [Google]
SikhFam.jpg
96 KB, 491x478
Sikhs really are bro-tier.
>>
>>465296
>hindus
nice way of saying congress goons.
most sikhs were protected by their neighbours and her son was not a retard.
>>
Someone fill me in on this hot maymay
>>
>>465673
possibly some butthurt punjabi angry that the eternal anglo stole his sikh empire.
>>
>>465673
as far as immigrants from non-western countries are concerned, Indian Sihks are among the best you could hope for
>>
>>465683
Indian bengalis tend to integrate better, but they are pretty few.
>>
>>465673
One of my best friends is a really committed Sikh, and he's a fucking based individual.
>>
>on a halloween party in a roller coaster park
>sikh kid sees me and shouts how cool my mask is
>his parents ask me if they can take a pic of their kiddo with me
>sure
Sikhs are truly bro tier
>>
File: 1450414590422.jpg (56 KB, 722x349) Image search: [Google]
1450414590422.jpg
56 KB, 722x349
>Inda
>>
Sikhs = based
>>
Hindus are not muslims
>>
3k is a lot of people
>>
>>465296
That's a good amount of deaths for a grassroots campaign, my man.
>>
>>466812
the rwandans managed to kill many with machetes
>>
>>469658
Rwanda had so many more pressures going on it that put authentic pressure on the general populace.

You don't have that in India.
>>
>>469678
like what?
most sikhs were well integrated into the broader population and were protected by their neighbours.
>>
>>465683
Canadian here, can confirm
Except some turn to acting gangster
>>
>>465296
The Indian government had just tried
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Blue_Star
Turns out Sikhs aren't easy targets
>>
>>469698
>most sikhs were well integrated into the broader population and were protected by their neighbours.
That's a really great start.

Also, India wasn't surrounded by a Sikh army looking to overthrow the government. It had a group of individuals who killed a prime minister, something they were able to do because they had been so peacably integrated into the existing power structure.

Hindus had not been subjected to being in a racialized heirarchy underneath Sikhs in living memory.

They had no reason to believe the Sikhs might have reason to seek and support a heirarchy in the future.

Even if all those things had happened, India is broad, diverse and ineffectual governed to such an extent that even if all those things were the case, a Sikh government would not be a catastrophe for most Hindus.
>>
>>465296
Sikhs have gotten really damn good at defending themselves as a people by now; they have an extremely martial culture but they're wise enough to be very stealth about it.
>>
Dindus won't engage in an altercation if there's a moderate risk of them getting injured, and Sikhs have a thriving warrior culture.

They regularly kill lone Muslims suspected of eating beef.
>>
>>469760
yeah, they walked into the harminder sahib and killed bhindranwale.
>>469771
you are spouting a bunch of common memes.
the political situation in the punjab was far more complicated than that, If indira gandhi wasn't headstrong there would have been no militancy.
>>469779
>>469930
which had nothing to do with the fact that the riots were localized to delhi primarily and warrior culture memes aside, most sikhs had neighbours protecting them because no one wants pajeet who is a jolly fellow to die because the leader of the country died.
>>469930
nice memes.
>>
>>470425
You're forgeting one major aspect of this whole situation, which is that Sikhs are bro tier
>>
>>465296
3000 deaths but from what i hear thousands of sikhs had to flee the country.
>>
File: j4yxrrq.jpg (132 KB, 650x367) Image search: [Google]
j4yxrrq.jpg
132 KB, 650x367
>>465296
sikhs ARE bro tier though
>>
>>465296
They like the Sikhs. If it was anti-Muslim violence it would have been far more fun.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.