[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Quotes from Ancient Times
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 13
File: chimage_img.php.jpg (145 KB, 593x800) Image search: [Google]
chimage_img.php.jpg
145 KB, 593x800
Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods."
>>
>>465186
Coincidence, I think I heard this is quoted in the movie I just watched, Oblivion.
>>
>>465193
Exactly. It was used there.
>>
File: battle-of-kosovo.jpg (30 KB, 520x332) Image search: [Google]
battle-of-kosovo.jpg
30 KB, 520x332
Whoever is a Serb and of Serb birth,
And of Serb blood and heritage,
And comes not to fight at Kosovo,
May he never have progeny born from love,
Neither son nor daughter!
May nothing grow that his hand sows,
Neither young wine nor white wheat!
And may he be dying in filth as long as his children are alive!

>not ancient, but medieval 1389
>>
There is no friend or enemy that I have not repaid in full.
-tombstone of Sulla

>>465186
Goosebumps every time.

>>465210
Explains their culture and situation nowadays I guess.
>>
>>465186

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus
>>
>>465318
>Explains their culture and situation nowadays I guess.
Only Serbs deal in absolutes.
>>
>>465186
大風起兮雲飛揚,
威加海內兮歸故鄉,
安得猛士兮守四方。

"A great wind came forth, the clouds rose on high.
Now that my might rules all within the seas, I have returned to my old village.
Where will I find brave men to guard the four corners of my land?"

Liu Bang, emperor Gaozu of Han.
>>
File: 1408989532884.jpg (140 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1408989532884.jpg
140 KB, 480x640
"If I cannot bend the will of Heaven, I shall move all Hell."

― Virgil, Æneid (29-19 BC), VII. 312.
>>
>>465186
"When feudal lords love one another there will be no more war; when heads of houses love one another there will be no more mutual usurpation; when individuals love one another there will be no more mutual injury. When ruler and ruled love each other they will be gracious and loyal; when father and son love each other they will be affectionate and filial; when older and younger brothers love each other they will be harmonious. When all the people in the world love one another, then the strong will not overpower the weak, the many will not oppress the few, the wealthy will not mock the poor, the honoured will not disdain the humble, and the cunning will not deceive the simple. And it is all due to mutual love that calamities, strife, complaints, and hatred are prevented from arising. Therefore the benevolent exalt it."

- Mo Zi
>>
>>465186
"The superior man governs men, according to their nature, with what is proper to them, and as soon as they change what is wrong, he stops.'

- Kong Zi (Confucius)
>>
File: civil_war.jpg (11 KB, 228x211) Image search: [Google]
civil_war.jpg
11 KB, 228x211
Prepare for war — for, evidently, you have found peace intolerable.

Scipio Africanus to Hannibal Barca before the Battle of Zama
>>
File: Res Gestae Divi Augusti.jpg (4 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
Res Gestae Divi Augusti.jpg
4 MB, 3888x2592
>Quotes from Ancient Times

Write your legacy on stones and place such stones in every major capital the world.
>>
>>465391
Haha get rekt Semitic fags
>>
That poem isn't from antiquity.
>>
>>465186
>ancient times

that's from a 19th-century poem, still based though
>>
>>465186
I don't think 1842 counts as ancient times.
[spoiler]Still a bretty gud pome tho
>>
File: I_want_you.png (890 KB, 900x1006) Image search: [Google]
I_want_you.png
890 KB, 900x1006
>>465210
medieval version
>>
>>465186
"To to Kinabu, the fortified city of Hulai, I drew near. With the masses of my troops by my furious battle I stormed, I captured the city; 600 of their warriors I put to the sword; 3,000 captives I burned with fire; I did not leave a single one among them alive to serve as a hostage. Their corpses I formed into pillars; their young men and maidens I burned in the fire. Hulai, their governor, I flayed, his skin I spread upon the wall of the city of Damdamusa; the city I destroyed, I devastated, I burned with fire. The city of Mariru, which was within their borders, I captured. Fifty of their warriors I put to the sword; 200 of their captives I burned with fire. 332 men of the land of Nirbu I slew in a battle on the plain; their spoil, their cattle, and their sheep I carried off. The (men of the) land of Nirbu, which is at the foot of Mount Uhira, had banded themselves together, and had entered the city of Tela, their stronghold. From Kinabu I departed, to the city of Tela I drew near. The city was exceeding strong and was surrounded by three walls. The men trusted in their mighty walls and in their hosts, and did not come down, and did not embrace my feet. With battle and slaughter I stormed the city and captured it. 3,000 of their warriors I put to the sword; their spoil and their possessions, their cattle and their sheep I carried off. Many captives from among them I burned with fire, and many I took as living captives. From some I cut off their hands and their fingers, and from others I cut off their noses, their ears, and their fingers(?), of many I put out the eyes. I made one pillar of the living, and another of heads, and I bound their heads to posts round about the city. Their young men and maidens I burned in the fire, the city I destroyed, I devastated, I burned it with fire and consumed it. At that time the cities of the land of Nirbi and their strong walls I destroyed, I devastated, I burned with fire."

-Ashurnâsirpal II
>>
Leaves, some the wind scatters on the ground—

So is the race of men.

Leaves, also, are thy children; and leaves, too, are they who cry out as if they were worthy of credit and bestow their praise, or on the contrary curse, or secretly blame and sneer; and leaves, in like manner, are those who shall receive and transmit a man’s fame to aftertimes. For all such things as these “are produced in the season of spring,” as the poet says; then the wind casts them down; then the forest produces other leaves in their places. But a brief existence is common to all things, and yet thou avoidest and pursuest all things as if they would be eternal. A little time, and thou shalt close thy eyes’ and him who has attended thee to thy grave another soon will lament.
>>
>>465527
>>465531
lol filtered evil trip scum
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>465527
>>465550
shitty bait

fuck off trip shit
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nby5ezmhV91qb5zlw.png (409 KB, 500x669) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nby5ezmhV91qb5zlw.png
409 KB, 500x669
Gaius Mucius said to the king:
“I am Gaius Mucius, a citizen of Rome. I came here as an enemy to kill my enemy, and I am as ready to die as I am to kill. We Romans act bravely and, when adversity strikes, we suffer bravely. Nor am I the only one who feels this way; behind me stands a line of those who seek the same honour.” [*]
Porsenna threatened to throw Gaius Mucius into the fire. Gaius Mucius responded by thrusting his own hand into the fire. As his hand burned, he said:
“Look upon me and realize what a paltry thing the body is for those who seek great glory.”
>>
File: hatshepsut-812984985-5m421.jpg (165 KB, 844x645) Image search: [Google]
hatshepsut-812984985-5m421.jpg
165 KB, 844x645
>>465563
WE WUZ KIngS AND SHEIT
>>
>>465561
>Disprove the historical evidence by Ammianis and Herodotos

But please, listen to Airwrecka,Saquanda and Shawntella because these welfare BLM bitches clearly know more about ancient egyptians than today's egyptians.

WE WUZ KANGS AND SHIEEET,NIGGA.
>>
>>465563
Egypt was originally ruled by blacks, then red people, then white people (hyksos), then red people again.
>>
>>465563
>>465550
>>465531
>>465527
t. alberto barbosa
>>
>>465584
I think you replied to the wrong the post, friendo
>>
>>465624
Yeah, sorry about that.
>>
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST
>>
>>465563
>It's obvious that the Egyptians changed a lot during the ages.

No.

>Egypt has experienced several invasions during its history. However, these do not seem to account for more than about 10% overall of current Egyptians ancestry when the DNA evidence of the ancient mitochondrial DNA and modern Y chromosomes is considered.
>>
File: demosthenes-bust.jpg (34 KB, 628x909) Image search: [Google]
demosthenes-bust.jpg
34 KB, 628x909
-"Ok, so what's plan B?"
-"That WAS plan B!"

Demosthenes and Nicias during the sicilian expedition
>>
WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE?
>>
File: ides15b15d.png (372 KB, 400x159) Image search: [Google]
ides15b15d.png
372 KB, 400x159
>>
>>465871
kek
>>
"Then none was for a party,
Then all were for the state;
Then the rich man helped the poor,
And the poor man loved the great;
Then lands were fairly portioned,
Then spoils were fairly sold;
The Romans were like brothers
In the brave days of old.

Now Roman is to Roman
More hateful than a foe;
And the Tribunes beard the high
and the fathers grind the low;
As we wax hot in faction,
In battle we wax cold;
And men fight not as they fought
In the brave days of old."

American republic must beware lest it repeat the mistakes of the Roman republic
>>
"Here's my strategy on the Cold War: we in, they lose."

- Ma Bufang
>>
>>466888
It's already too late. America will always be a strong region on earth, but we do not have a culture that's capable of reconciling our morality with out interests. Americans will be okay with being imperialist dicks a bit, but we always seem to be caught by public opinion before we hit the finish line.

Our dominance is slipping pretty hard, and it would take successive competent presidencies to prevent that, which won't happen.

On top of which our culture is changing in the wrong direction. People are, like the Romans, becoming more and more self centered and money obsessed.

We had a good run though, I guess.
>>
>Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

>Samius to Cornelius: go hang yourself!

> Epaphra is not good at ball games.
>>
>>465210
*tips pahlavi*
>>
>>465393
where is this?
>>
File: Stefan_Czarniecki_111.png (349 KB, 457x610) Image search: [Google]
Stefan_Czarniecki_111.png
349 KB, 457x610
>"Not from land, not from salt, but from things that hurt had I grown."

Stefan Czarniecki, Crown Field Hetman, statesman, member of Lisowski's unit.

>"Swords we have aplenty, but we shall accept those as a prophecy of victory, that God himself sends through your hands. He shall decide the battlefield, and to his justice I cry, with grievances of my damage, and your bad will and vanity sending. Amen!"

Władysław Jogaila, husband of the Polish king, when offered two swords by Teutonic Knights before the battle of Grunwald.

>"To be defeated and not submit, is victory;
to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."

Józef Piłsudski, father of the modern Polish state

>"During the first 3 years at Auschwitz, 2 million people died; over the next 2 years - 3 million."

Witold Pilecki, volounteer to Auschwitz

>"Peace is a thing well sought and precious. This generation of ours, wounded in many wars certainly deserves it. However, peace, as almost any matter in the world has it's price, high, yet measurable. We, in Poland, don't know the statement "peace at all costs". There is only one thing in lives of people, states and nations. This thing is honour."

Józef Beck, Minister of Foreign Affairs, 5th of May 1939, Sejm.

>"When Berlin burns, when German women and children shall die as ours die today, then it is, when you should understand, that there is God's justice in this world"

Stefan Starzyński, president of Warsaw, September 1939
>>
>But of the multitude of lowest condition and greatest poverty some spend the entire night in wineshops, some lurk in the shade of the awnings of the theatres,a which Catullus in his aedileship, imitating Campanian wantonness, was the first to spread, or they quarrel with one another in their games at dice, making a disgusting sound by drawing back the breath into their resounding nostrils; or, which is the favourite among all amusements, from sunrise until evening, in sunshine and in rain, they stand open-mouthed, examining minutely the good p53points or the defects of charioteers and their horses. And it is most remarkable to see an innumerable crowd of plebeians, their minds filled with a kind of eagerness, hanging on the outcome of the chariot races. These and similar things prevent anything memorable or serious from being done in Rome.

Ammianus Marcellinus on 4th century AD Rome
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.