[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the requirements for a "being" to be a deity?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 800x800
What are the requirements for a "being" to be a deity?
>>
>>463640
A favourite one historically is:
All good
All powerful
All present
>>
>>463640
being really really strong so as to protect the people that worship you
>>
Fitting the definition in use.
>>
What is the thumbnail from? I have memories of liking that character
>>
I think the only concrete one would be worship from people who call you such.
>>
Not being a being
>>
Consciousness and immortality
>>
>>463809
One Punch Man
>>
>>463817
So if people worship the sun is the sun now a deity?
>>
>>463849
Do they call it a deity?

If yes, then it is their deity, and, thus, a deity.
>>
Supernatural or metaphysical and power beyond that of a human being are the only consistent traits I am aware of.
>>
>>463860
Huh. So it's only a deity if you call it such
>>
>>463640

A deity generally fully represents an archetype, the anthropomorphic form of the archetype.
>>
>>463866
You just got Wittgensteined by the way.
>>
>>463837
Thank thank thank
>>
>>463640
Eternal life and the knowledge of good and evil.

Didn't you read the bible?

>Then the Lord God said, “See, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=genesis+2%3A4-3%3A24&version=NRSV
>>
>>463640
Omnipotent or Omniscience or Omnipresence or a mix of them
>>
>>463640
I think a defining characteristic would be:
>Monotheistic - Omnipresence, Omnipotence, Omnibenevolence, Responsible for the creation of Earth/Universe/Life/Humanity, Capable of manipulating reality
>Polytheistic - Certain jurisdiction over elements/parts of nature(For instance, Poseidon's jurisdiction over the ocean), capable of manipulation of reality/oneself, may or may not be involved in the creation of Earth/Universe /Life/Humanity(depends on what god)

So, One all-encompassing criterion could be the ability to manipulate reality or humans.
>>
A deity should be able to create a rock that he can't lift, and then lift it anyway.
>>
>>463640
Being the literal definition of apathy.
>>
>>463914
Why would I focus on one religion's definition?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.