[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So.... How do we save Christmas in America? Look, I think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1451079569848.jpg (155 KB, 1200x948) Image search: [Google]
1451079569848.jpg
155 KB, 1200x948
So....

How do we save Christmas in America?

Look, I think America has the best Christmas songs and Christmas movies (it's a fact really)

Americans also do good when it comes to going out to a Christmas tree farm and chopping down one to bring home, and Americans kids usually get fantastic presents and yaddda yadda

But, how do we get communities to collectively gather to participate in joined traditions that bounds communities together, like in Europe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_traditions#Europe

Seriously dude, I want America to have the most heart warming Christmas on earth, by getting towns and cities across the nation to band together to participate in rituals and shit together.

There's of course choirs and ballets and plays that people go to sit down and see, but...What percent of Americans actually do that?
>>
It's done in a way that encourages consumer spending and that's what is important.
>>
Our country just isn't old enough to have deep traditions like Europe does. Ask again in a few centuries.
>>
>>463024
Who's that black kid?
>>
Christmas is a sham that completely fails to present the values it wants to convey because of rampant hypocracy and materialism. I'm glad it's a dying celebration.
>>
>>463243
Spotted the sjw.
>>
>>463243
>christmas is dying
Just about as fast as holloween and the 4th are.
>>
>>463230
Obama.
>>
>>463243
Christmas is spreading actually, in Asia in particular
>>
>>463024
Contrary to what wikipedia may say, Christmas in Europe is much the same as in America.

>collectively gather to participate in joined traditions that bounds communities together, like in Europe
These are the exception, not the rule. No one actually does these anymore. 90% of Europeans will spend Christmas doing own little family traditions but otherwise largely the same as America. Christmas is by and large a family holiday, not a communal one. Stop getting your information from the internet and travel some more and actually learn for yourself.
>>
>>463024
>like in Europe
Isn't it already kind of similar?
>>
>>463024
allow capitalism to take over christmas, make it a celebration of consumerism
>>
>>463420
this
but the average conservative retard married capitalism to Christianity long time ago.

You can't serve both god and mammon, but in US of A you can.
>>
>>463276
It isn't. Many European countries (predominantly, the southern ones) still celebrate Christmas Eve instead of Christmas.
>>
remember when people put tinsel on trees? when did that stop becoming a thing? tinsel has always been my favorite decoration
>>
>>463399
There's not even "christmas in europe", every country/group of similar countries does a different thing sometimes even on different days.
>>
>>463423
Here in Barcelona we had "christmas eve" dinner (influence from the rest of Spain) plus the christmas log yesterday, christmas lunch today with my mother's extended family and tomorrow I have St. Stephen lunch with my father's not-so-extended family. The 6 of January is also the day of "Reyes" (the magi, but they're called witch kings here) and there's also a lunch. Most of those days are considered more important than the 25 t.b.h.

There's also of course a new years eve dinner and a new year lunch the next day, but those do not count as Christmas celebrations I suppose.
>>
>>463230

Token Kennedy.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.