[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isn't Phrenology or Physiognomy more accepted in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: physiognomy.jpg (12 KB, 252x240) Image search: [Google]
physiognomy.jpg
12 KB, 252x240
Why isn't Phrenology or Physiognomy more accepted in the medical world? Is it political correctness and fear of racism? Because I do think there's a bit of truth in how our looks define us. It's a shame more studies aren't done.
>>
>>462781
>I do think there's a bit of truth in how our looks define us

PHYSICAL TRAITS DO NOT DEFINE CHARACTER; PHYSICAL TRAITS ARE INDICATORS, NOT DETERMINANTS; TRAITS ARE CONSEQUENCES, NOT CAUSES.
>>
File: bigguy.jpg (172 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
bigguy.jpg
172 KB, 640x480
>>462825
Recent studies have shown that positive canthal tilt in the eyes can indicate truthworriness. People have always had stereotypes of the looks of certain type of people. There must be some truth that should be researched. But it's too unethical because lack of free will.
>>
>>462781
>Why isn't alchemy more accepted in the chemist world?
>>
Does this guy have a "phenotype" that can be categorized and studied?
>>
>>462838

IMPROVE YOUR "READING COMPREHENSION".
>>
>>462781
Phrenology was mostly discredited as a scientific theory by the 1840s. This was due only in part to a growing amount of evidence against phrenology.[24] Phrenologists had never been able to agree on the most basic mental organ numbers going from 27 to over 40,[30][31] and had difficulty locating the mental organs. Phrenologists relied on cranioscopic readings of the skull to find organ locations.[32] Jean Pierre Flourens experiments on the brains of pigeons indicated that the loss of parts of the brain either caused no loss of function, or the loss of a completely different function than what had been attributed to it by phrenology. Flourens experiment, while not perfect, seemed to indicate that Gall's supposed organs were imaginary.[27][33] Scientists had also become disillusioned with phrenology since its exploitation with the middle and working classes by entrepreneurs. The popularization had resulted in the simplification of phrenology and mixing in it of principles of physiognomy, which had from the start been rejected by Gall as an indicator of personality.[34] Phrenology from its inception was tainted by accusations of promoting materialism and atheism, and being destructive of morality. These were all factors which led to the downfall of phrenology.[32][35]
>>
>>462857
>my uncle fucked me, now I fuck my sister
>>
Now that you mention working class people have a certain look on them.
You can tell when someone is not intelligent without him opening his mouth too.
>>
File: phreno07.jpg (84 KB, 640x377) Image search: [Google]
phreno07.jpg
84 KB, 640x377
>>462864
So political correctness got involved and botched the whole thing. We have better technology to study the brain. It's just doctors are too hesitant to resume research on the field.
>>
>>462915
research continues, they just avoid politicizing it, it is a surefire way to destroy your reputation
>>
File: calley.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2213) Image search: [Google]
calley.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2213
Wasn't that show with Tim Roth, "Lie to Me" based on some these subjects? People look like certain things, and some these traits tell us more about them than we think.
>>
>>462825

>i just read an extract from Jung

ok lad
>>
>>462972
This

The field is definitely advancing, they just avoid the public eye due to retarded claims of 'scientific racism'.
>>
>>463206
Who funds the research? Private doners. I'm surprised China isn't the leading the way in this study.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.