[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we stop people dismissing history as 'worthless'?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: 1444125859394.png (139 KB, 917x871) Image search: [Google]
1444125859394.png
139 KB, 917x871
I'm sure like me, many of you have families who laugh or outright mock you for enjoying history and learning about the past. For example, this just happened to me

>Sitting in lounge reading a book about Nazi Germany
>Father walks in
>Starts questioning me
>''Son, why are you reading about things that already happened?''
>look him in the eyes, tell him that people who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it
>he laughs and says ''Oh, are you reading about how Hitler couldn't get a girlfriend to try and avoid his mistakes? It isnt working'' then laughs again
>literally too stupid to realise Hitler had a girlfriend
>shits out a smug grin and walks off

This is how things are for me pretty much every day. If I try to watch a historical documentary on television for example I am made to instantly turn it off because they don't want to watch it.

It seems like a real problem to me. My family have no historical knowledge. The last time we got Indian food I tried to make my sister laugh by playing rule Britannia on my laptop and taking her food away as a joke about the famines during the British Empire and nobody laughed. I don't understand why people are so willingly ignorant of history. It is fucking disgusting.
>>
>>46235
>>he laughs and says ''Oh, are you reading about how Hitler couldn't get a girlfriend to try and avoid his mistakes? It isnt working'' then laughs again
top kek
>>
>>46235
Your family's a bunch of plebs, disregard them, acquire knowledge.

>playing rule Britannia on my laptop and taking her food away as a joke about the famines during the British Empire
10/10 banter
>>
>How do we stop people dismissing history as 'worthless'?
We don't. We trick them into repeating it for personal gain.
>>
>>46235
Your dad seems like a stand-up guy. If you care about other's opinions then you're a beta faggot.
>>
>>46299
But they need to understand history
>>
>>46334
My dad is a faggot who has no education
>>
>>46806
Faggot, take advantage of it. People don't know how Hitler took over Germany, so do the exact same thing and nobody will be any the wiser.

BECOME
DICTATOR
>>
DonĀ“t mind, OP
There is literally nothing more important than knowledge.
Also, History itself should be considered as an instrument for life and view. Not like some "boring school homework".
If you even will have or have kids already teach them te wonders of History
>>
>>46235
stop being a cancerous frogposter first you fucking faggot, no one's going to take a redditor seriously about history, maybe go to college and take some classes and talk to your professors instead of upvoting the latest "lel dank meme 420" on /r/4chan you turbo autist
>>
File: 1443317800142.jpg (57 KB, 567x561) Image search: [Google]
1443317800142.jpg
57 KB, 567x561
>playing rule Britannia on my laptop and taking her food away as a joke about the famines during the British Empire

Jesus Christ, people don't learn that shit in school. And most don't take time to learn about it on their own time.

You can't expect everyone to be on the same level of knowledge as you.
>>
>>46235
Nope.
My dad's side of the family comes from a long line of scribes and priests. My dad was somewhat pissed I changed from Theology to history. Other than that, my family is okay with me going into history.
>>
File: 1445470806797.jpg (59 KB, 327x388) Image search: [Google]
1445470806797.jpg
59 KB, 327x388
>''Oh, are you reading about how Hitler couldn't get a girlfriend to try and avoid his mistakes? It isnt working''

Holy shit your Dad sounds awesome. I wish I could be that quick.
>>
>>he laughs and says ''Oh, are you reading about how Hitler couldn't get a girlfriend to try and avoid his mistakes? It isnt working'' then laughs again

kek
>>
In practice history is useless. The argument about avoiding repeating it doesn't work, because there is no will among people to avoid repeating it. You can keep shouting about it, but people DON'T CARE. If repeating history brings them enjoyment, they will repeat it. So from this point of view, knowing it doesn't matter, because people have no will to use the knowledge.
>>
>The last time we got Indian food I tried to make my sister laugh by playing rule Britannia on my laptop and taking her food away as a joke about the famines during the British Empire and nobody laughed.
Probably autistic jokes like that. But yes, it does annoy me when people are like "Who gives a shit about what happened in the past? I live in the present!". All it takes at the bare minimum is a sense of wonder and curiosity into how life was in lifetimes before ours.
>>
>getting food with my family
>autistic brother comes along, likes reading about Nazis and probably is one
>starts blaring some trumpet song out of his laptop for no reason
>literally reaches over and grabs my plate while giggling like and idiot
>Dad breathes that sigh of disappointment
>Mom looks down at the floor, embarrassed by the scene he's making
>I'm speechless at this point

This is how you looked.
>>
>>46235
This isn't your blog fag
>>
>>46235
>>literally too stupid to realise Hitler had a girlfriend
>>shits out a smug grin and walks off

FUCKING KEK

You dad is based as fuck, how did you end up such a little faggot
>>
File: 1446335678273.jpg (8 KB, 250x248) Image search: [Google]
1446335678273.jpg
8 KB, 250x248
>>46235

kek
>>
>>46235
The great majority of people are uneducated philistines, they mostly were throughout history, so why does that even bother you

Just keep doing what you prefer and enjoy it
>>
>>46235
Literally nobody thinks history is worthless.

You just have a down syndrome family, it's probably in your genes too.
>>
>>46235
BASED DAD
>>
I'll take "Things That Never Happened" for 500, Alex
>>
>people think this actually happened
lefedupfrog.jpg
>>
>>46235
Fortunately for me my entire family is full of history obsessives.
>>
>>46235
>Rule Britannia
Top fucking kek.
>>
File: image.png (331 KB, 1200x2247) Image search: [Google]
image.png
331 KB, 1200x2247
have a /phi/ answer

>Why do people value different things?
It's their nature. A businessman may find no worth in a brief lecture on the development of morality as easily some 4channers oppose mainstream culture. Value is assigned through personal resonance and subtracted from the means to do so. Remember, at the root of causation all people act out of self interest, but some self interests are generally agreed to be less selfish then others.

>Well, how come they identify X being so 'bad'?
It might have no obvious personal use to the person, or it could have no apparent application to society in accordance with the same person and perhaps more. It contradicts the person's perceived sense of value, and (while it might not contradict yours) ultimately their reality.
>>
>>46235
By undoing the corruption of the arts and humanities.

They've been corrupted and intellectualism has been demonized.
>>
>>47541
There you go. He isn't against the subject, his problem with you is personal. He's just doing it to get a rise out of you.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.