[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Films and Philosophy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1448766497531.jpg (114 KB, 480x608) Image search: [Google]
1448766497531.jpg
114 KB, 480x608
Any great films with philosophers/philosophy? Wondering if there's anything worth to watch on Socrates, I google'd a few movies, but the reviews are sparse, and often negative.
>>
My Dinner With Andre
>>
Manufacturing Consent is entry level but fun to watch.
>>
Donald is right.
Though that doesn't mean you inherently and shouldn't value something, someone, anyone, anything and have to be a nihilistic fag.
>>
>>462355
Inherently can't*
>>
>>462355

Why not? (srs question)
>>
>>462413
You can choose (or I guess focus those chemical reactions for these intents and purposes) to be nihilistic or not. People that refuse to accept the pattern of neurochemicals driving all areas of the brain, and logically that's how cognition and consciousness are controlled are probably just scared of losing sense of self. But you don't have to. You could just accept it. Or you could not, or even refute it altogether, which is kind of beautiful.

Just because you're driven by chemicals doesn't mean you HAVE to lose all sense of self. You can simply be okay with it and move on with ordinary life. You're human because you are that unique combination of chemicals. However, you can focus those chemicals as you please "choose" to an order of magnitude that exceeds other combinations of chemicals. You can choose to give value to whatever.

But that makes for shit books and people want to be edgy black-or-white faggots and circlejerk to their ebin brofoundness.
>>
>>462520
Sorry for the autism spergout, I'm just tired of the "oh but muh uniqueness, ALL LOSES VALUE" argument when you can still choose to do whatever you'd like, simply because you can.

Just because my dog is also a pile of organic material, theses no reason I can't choose to value him because I can ultimately describe him so impersonally.
>>
>>462242
> Donald
> Reductionist
> Current year

Top kek, scientism always finds ways to amuse.
>>
The matrix
>>
Love and War
La Jetée
Marat/Sade
I Heart Huckabees
Most (good) sci. fi.
>>
>>462242

I really loved Derek Jarman's Wittgenstein. It's probably impenetrable if you're not already somewhat familiar with his life and work, though.
>>
all film is philosophy, but I assume you're asking for something "clearly" philosophical. You want meme films.
>>
>>462520
I agree with most of your post. The one thing is how would you go about refuting a reductionist world view like that?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.