[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why have Baltic countries never developed anything like a confederation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: baltic_states_map.png (130 KB, 1005x1222) Image search: [Google]
baltic_states_map.png
130 KB, 1005x1222
Why have Baltic countries never developed anything like a confederation or at least a loose alliance?
>>
I know you want to group them because they have a similar size, and it would look cute, but one of those have very little to do with the other 2. Just take a look where the capital cities are located and you will understand.
>>
>>461884
So is it because Lithuania was Slavs' bitch while Estonia and Latvia wanted some of that sweet Hanseatic dosh?
>>
They tried between WW1 and 2 but it didn't took off. I know it's wiki but I don't know a lot about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_Entente

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermarium
>>
>>461871
Lithuania developed around the 13th century from a confederation of Baltic tribes. It became a strong state led by native noblemen who spoke Lithuanian. Eventually a dynastic union joined Lithuania and Poland together in the 1300s. This would become the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth in the late sixteenth century. From the commonwealth onward the Lithuanian elite became polonized and saw themselves as citizens of a composite republic/state. On the contrary, Latvia and Estonia's tribes became subjected by the Teutonic Knights/ Livonian knights. This area received significant infusions of German immigrants, whose merchants dominated the towns of Riga and Reval (present-day Tallinn) and who came to make an extremely tight knit landowning class. The Germans all collaborated to form a strictly segregated society in the towns and countryside to prevent Estonian and Latvian peasants from joining their ranks. It was a by and large successful policy, but as the Livonian knights collapsed in the late 16th century, the area became decimated during the Livonian Wars, during which Russia, Poland-Lithuania, Sweden and Denmark vied for the lands of the collapsing Livonian Order. Sweden, and to a lesser extent Poland, emerged victorious and took over the Livonian lands. But the war wrecked the economy and population, some of whom turned to cannibalism during the war. The vacated lands received fresh immigrants from Finland and elite Swedish landowners. The Swedes also somewhat curbed the privileges of the older German elites and did a better job imposing christianity/protestantism on the masses. In contrast, Lithuania became solidly catholic, especially from the zealous counterreformation underway in poland. Anyway, in the end, Russia conquered livonia during the Great Northern War from 1701-1721 and the German elite got many of their old rights taken away from the Swedes because Peter the Great wanted to assure their continued loyalty to his revitalized Russian state.
>>
>why haven't three sovereign countries with their own peculiarities, languages, cultures and histories formed an alliance?????????????????????? answer me pls /int/ i mean /his/
>>
File: 1397739274116.png (15 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1397739274116.png
15 KB, 400x400
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%BDvelgaitis
>In 1205, Žvelgaitis led several thousand horsemen northward, from Lithuania through Riga, on the way to attack and plunder Estonia. Returning from Estonia mid-winter, with booty and Estonian slaves, his troops were caught unaware and attacked while crossing through waist-high snowdrifts. He was attacked by the Livonian and German citizens of Riga, under the leadership of Vester, ruler of Semigallians, coordinating the attack from a sleigh. Žvelgaitis was killed by a javelin thrown by German Theodore Schilling. 1,200 Lithuanian knights perished; the Estonian slaves were slaughtered as well, in retribution for "past crimes" against the Livonians.

Long live Baltic cooperation.
>>
Baltic peoples are inherently individualistic and nihilistic.
>>
>>463034
with a wicked sense of humor
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLZ4IusakMI
>>
>>463074
Deep.
>>
In the north there was Livonia, encompassing modern day Latvia, Courland and Estonia, and was ruled by German crusaders and, Baltic German noblemen later

In the south, Lithuania basically started off as a tribal confederation, but eventually grew over to rule of Ruthenians and Poles, and almost became totally slavicized by the 19th century. Many Lithuanians came under dominance by Prussia
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.