[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you smarter than Schopenhauer was? If not, why would you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: Schopenhauer.jpg (14 KB, 300x358) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer.jpg
14 KB, 300x358
Are you smarter than Schopenhauer was? If not, why would you claim that Hegel's philosophy isn't bullshit?
>>
Schope a boss hog
>>
Are you smarter than Hegel was? If not, why would you claim his philosophy is bullshit?
>>
>>459272
>le super deep dialectical man

>In order to discourage the reader beforehand from taking Hegel's bombastic and mystifying cant too seriously, I shall quote some of the amazing details which he discovered about sound, and especially about the relations between sound and heat. I have tried hard to translate this gibberish from Hegel's Philosophy of Nature as faithfully as possible; he writes: 'ยง 302. Sound is the change in the specific condition of segregation of the material parts, and in the negation of this condition; -- merely an abstract or an ideal ideality, as it were, of that specification. But this change, accordingly, is itself immediately the negation of the material specific subsistence; which is, therefore, real ideality of specific gravity and cohesion, i.e. -- heat. The heating up of sounding bodies, just as beaten or rubbed ones, is the appearance of heat, originating conceptually together with sound.' There are some who still believe in Hegel's sincerity, or who still doubt whether his secret might not be profundity, fullness of thought, rather than emptiness. I should like them to read carefully the last sentence -- the only intelligible one -- of this quotation, because in this sentence, Hegel gives himself away. For clearly it means nothing but: 'The heating up of sounding bodies...is heat...together with sound.' [p. 28]

BTFO
>>
File: hegel bagel.jpg (22 KB, 250x294) Image search: [Google]
hegel bagel.jpg
22 KB, 250x294
>>459281
The problem with Schopenhauer's critique is that he doesn't fully understand what Hegel meant. In fact he just sums up the - of course quite simple - conclusion that Sound creates Heat and the other way around too.
Nonetheless the dialectical method used by Hegel there is way more powerful. He uses his epistemological method to prove that if there is sound there is conceptually and idealy always heat and if there is heat, also by conceptual opposition in the movement, there is therefore sound.
He is showing how the concept moves through dialectics and takes the example of Nature. This powerful message makes us understand that this absolute idealism is the ground of every thinking and action or phenomenon.
>>
>>460647
Sound waves can lose energy in the form of heat.

Extremely hot objects can at times generate sound.

Both of these are extremely minuscule effects however, they are not false.
>>
>>460667
yup that's what I was saying
>>
>>459255
>le angry manlet
>>
>>460647
It wasn't Schopenhauer's critique, it was Karl Popper's.
Well there'll always be people like you to defend this kind of nonsensical philosophy, I guess it helps to make philosophy impressive to peasants.
>>
>>461172
mate who gives a fuck

schopenhauer was remembered as the angry manlet while hegel revolutionized philosophy and spawned analytical philosophy
>>
>>461344
Schopenhauer never wanted to be the philosopher of the "most". (Read the introduction to World as will...). He never wanted an academic philosophy.

Hegel is not remembered for its philosophy but its "techniques". No one believes in Geist, Absolutes, etc.

Clean your mouth before talking Schopenhauer becaise I bet you have never read him.
>>
>>461408
the geist is literally the Will in schopenhauer's system
>>
>>460647
>He uses his epistemological method to prove that if there is sound there is conceptually and idealy always heat and if there is heat, also by conceptual opposition in the movement, there is therefore sound.
And that's wrong
>>
>>461344
Schopenhauer laid the groundwork for psychoanalysis and a few great operas.

>>461408
>Schopenhauer never wanted to be the philosopher of the "most". (Read the introduction to World as will...). He never wanted an academic philosophy.

In the second introduction he seems bitter about people preferring Hegel's work to his.
>>
>>461344
>gave us obscurantist continental woo-woo
>spawned analytical philosophy

great accomplishments m8
>>
>>461416
the geist is literally reddit
>>
>>461429
Schopenhauer? Bitter? Well, I never!
>>
Who the hell claims Hegel's philosophy is bullshit? Most people don't even read it, or regard it in any form aside from the philosophies that spun off of it.
>>
>>461892
I'm not the one claiming that he didn't care about being read. The man spent his entire life being angry about living in the shadow of others (his mother early on and Hegel/the young Hegelians later).
>>
>>461172
That's not refuting my point tho..
>>461427
how?
>>
>>462120
>how?

Ever hear of radiation?
>>
>>461908
Bertrand Russell who had a retardedly strong influence on Anglo perception of philosophy
>>
Oh
>>
>>462170
Didn't Bertrand Russel wind up taking the legs off of most of his work? Why would he be so influential?
>>
>>459281
ahhhh, so thats why my monitor is heating up.
And me thinking it was just a piece of junk
>>
>>461908
Which is funny, because Russel's work is full of Gem's way worse than any supposed issues about a connection between Heat and Sound.
>>
>>463772
If your monitor is heating up, and making noise, it's a piece of junk.
>>
>>461908
I think many reject it right off the bat because Hegel rejects the traditional conception of logic based on the law of noncontradiction. In fact, he believes reason involves contradictions.
>>
>>460647
>The problem with Schopenhauer's critique is that he doesn't fully understand what Hegel meant.

toplel, who the fuck does...
>>
>>459255

Answer to the first question: Yes, because I moved on to Nietzsche.
>>
>>463739
Newtonian mechanics are being proven almost entirely wrong. Doesn't mean we dismiss Issac Newton, because he was important to the development of a field and ideas that came after him.

Secondly, at least Russell admitted his most of ideas were wrong. How many people actually do that?
>>
>>463804
No no, I meant Russell took the legs of his own work with his paradox.
>>
>>459281
Fuck off Popper/Soros.
>>
>>463946
What? The Principia sought to solve Russell's paradox
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.