[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why were there less Roman scientists and astronomers that made
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: Roman_Empire_Trajan_117AD.png (357 KB, 2534x1540) Image search: [Google]
Roman_Empire_Trajan_117AD.png
357 KB, 2534x1540
Why were there less Roman scientists and astronomers that made huge discoveries than Greeks before the Roman conquest? Even though there were a fuckton more Romans at the height of the Empire than Greeks it seems like the speed of scientific progress and discovery slowed under Roman rule.
>>
Romans built roads on the ground, Greeks built roads in your mind.
>>
>>459258
That's deep, bro. Real deep.
>>
Large empires promote stagnation
>>
>>459266
The Romans drilled tunnels through the Alps, the Greeks drilled tunnels in your ass.
>>
>>459269
but why
>>
File: Stupid, lazy monks.jpg (84 KB, 450x665) Image search: [Google]
Stupid, lazy monks.jpg
84 KB, 450x665
>>459213
>Even though there were a fuckton more Romans at the height of the Empire than Greeks it seems like the speed of scientific progress and discovery slowed under Roman rule.

Ptolemy, Hero, Dioscorides, Menelaus, Archimedes and Galen, some of the greatest scientists in antiquity, were all Romans.

"Romans weren't interested in science" is a meme spread by the Christian Dark Age Defense Force to make their failure to either preserve ancient science or make any useful contributions to it look better by comparison.
>>
>>459274

Fkn lol
>>
>>459213
Greeks are thinkers, Romans are doers
Greeks are mathematicians, Romans are engineers
etc. etc.
>>
>>459213
>>459342
This desu senpai. Even the Romans recognized it.
"Geometry was in high esteem with [the Greeks], therefore none were more honorable than mathematicians. But we have confined this art to bare measuring and calculating."
Cicero, Tusculan Diputations I.I
>>
>>459310
>Archimedes
Literally a Greek from Syracuse
>>
>>459310
Did you miss the part where Archimedes was killed by a Roman soldier?
>>
>>459310
I'm pretty sure all of those guys were Greeks. Some were living under Roman rule, but they were Greeks.
>>
>>459310
>>459628
Ah my bad I misread op thought he was talking about Greeks versus Romans without regards to time.
>>
>>459279
Gotta maintain that status quo bro
>>
>>459213
Rome was a military hegemony first and foremost. The state revolved around the army, if you wanted any notoriety in Rome, you joined the army. Everything else was secondary to the Roman military. That was a stark contrast with how most of Greece treated military service.
>>
>>459213
Romans don't really get as much credit for their advancements as they should. Sure, they weren't so big on astronomy or philosophy or whatnot compared to the Greeks, but they did make pretty substantial advances in engineering, medicine, chemistry, etc. If I remember correctly, the Romans even invented sterilization.
>>
>>459279
Think of what happened when China first unified. Thousands of ancient texts and Confucian scholars were burned.

When the Aztecs rose to power and defeated or allied with their neighbors, they destroyed their own records so that they could rewrite them to match state propaganda.

Even Rome itself suppressed or destroyed libraries and religions and schools of thought.

If most all of the known world is ruled by a single emperor, then there's not many places you can go to run or go into exile to if your ideas are suddenly taboo or unwanted. But in a world with many different kingdoms and independent cities, you have many places to go where your ideas will be more welcome, encouraging more diversity of ideas.
>>
>>459213
An answer that isn't a meme, the roman education system did not encourage free thought at all, they enforced repetition and memorisation in a very tedious and boring way that is credited with stunting the intellectual growth of the Romans.
>>
>>459213

You're asking the wrong question.

The correct question is: "Why did the Greek state(s) fall to the Roman empire, despite the discoveries of the Greeks?"
>>
>>459856
Constant infighting compared to Rome's strong central authority (relatively speaking) and ability to outproduce any of them. Losing an entire army would mean most kingdoms and cities would have lost the war, for Rome it just meant they had to quickly put together another army.
>>
What have the Romans ever done for us?
>>
>>459258
>le Greeks were le gay mee-mee
>>
>>460869
Modern roads, architecture, aqueducts, democratic government system...?
>>
>To ravage, to slaughter, to usurp under false titles, they call empire; and where they make a desert, they call it peace.
>>
There is an interesting observation that original learnings and arts in pre-modern times did flourish in similar conditions, namely among small independent city-states fighting each-other for prestige, for example ancient Greece, Islamic Spain in 11th century, Italy in late middle ages. At the same time large empires lead to stagnation and proliferation of unoriginal "copyist, commentators and compliers".
>>
>>460896
All right, but apart from the modern roads, architecture, aqueducts, democratic government system, what have the Romans ever done for us?
>>
>>459213

firstly science didnt realy exist back then

second, romans had a very limited idea of 'science', basicaly if it wasnt practical and effectively usefull they had no real way of understanding it as valuble, so they just ignored it

maybe some personaly had interest in some branch or discipline, but most of the matematichians in the empire, other than engeneers, were slaves, mobile human calculators basicaly

so as far as romans were concerned mathemathics and gemetry etc are disciplines that greeks do so romans could build their architecture and construct catapults and so on

on the other hand romans were highly supperstitious
>>
athens invented

rome applied
>>
>>460936
>At the same time large empires lead to stagnation and proliferation of unoriginal "copyist, commentators and compliers".
Enlightenment England and France would like a word.
>>
>>460970
>on the other hand romans were highly supperstitious
Mathematics and science were inseparable from Greek superstition. The Romans were actually highly pragmatic.
>>
>>460991
>The Romans were actually highly pragmatic.
The Romans were notably more superstitious than Greeks. We had a thread about this a few days ago.
>>
>>460954
Pizza
>>
>>461003
Link please.
>>
>>461017
I mean, I'd look myself, but OP name and text could be anything.
>>
>>460984
>copyist, commentators and compliers
>Enlightenment England and France would like a word.

But it's true
>>
>>460954
has made up many lingua franca plus a primigenious european/christian spirit of unity you barbarian scum
>>
Read Spengler.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.