[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was happening here before Christianity? Did they use the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6
File: 546.gif (43 KB, 582x352) Image search: [Google]
546.gif
43 KB, 582x352
What was happening here before Christianity?
Did they use the roman or celtic pantheon?
Something else?
>>
It was actually an organised from of Hellenic Neoplatonism. It had a library with their theological texts, and a history of Hispania, but it got burnt down.
>>
>>595537
Interesting, please tell me more
>>
Depends on the geographical area. Most of the peninsula was populated by Celts, Iberians and Celtiberians who were a cultural and to some degree genetic milieu.

The Celts and Celtiberians inhabited most of the Iberian peninsula with a heavy focus on the west and the Atlantic and the Iberians on the easternmost part of it. The Celtiberians had a pantheon akin to that of the Celts and the Iberians had something of a native pantheon of unknown origin sometimes associated with the Phoenicians and other peoples of the Mediterranean.

There were some Greek and Phoenician enclaves on the Mediterranean coast as well, but these were residual (Gadir, Emporeon, Sexi, etc.).
>>
>>595527

It was part of the Roman Empire so it housed the Empires relgions. There were Roman Temples to Roman gods, and to other imported ones, like pic related.
There were other natives deities from the Aquitanian, Celtic and Iberian pantheons, and obviously, the Phoenicians and Carthagians that traded in Iberia had their own gods that may have survived the colonizers.
>>
File: Euskal_jainkoen_familia.png (1 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
Euskal_jainkoen_familia.png
1 MB, 1536x2048
>>595527
I'd procreate with Laminak desu
>>
>>595662
Actually, Romans didn't have a powerful impact on native religions prior to Christianity. The Hispano-Romans (Romans in Hispania) were mostly the only ones who kept the worship of their own gods and the military even had gods of foreign, non-Roman background like Mithra.

But the laymen and especially those in remote regions (Cantabrian Mountains, Iberian System, etc.) didn't adopt Roman religious practices.
>>
File: lamia1.jpg (10 KB, 285x400) Image search: [Google]
lamia1.jpg
10 KB, 285x400
>>595691

You could have chose a hotter pic.
>>
Celto-Iberian pantheon all over, Roman pantheon in the predominantly Roman (culturally, not necessarily ethnically) areas, a bit of Phoenician pantheon in the south, the non-Indo-European Basque pantheon in the north, and spatterings of "Old Europe" pre-Indo-European paganism all throughout (similar to but not necessarily related to the Basques).
>>
>>595719
>a bit of Phoenician pantheon in the south

Tartessos wasn't Phoenician if you are referring to that.
>>
File: mare nostrum.png (365 KB, 1583x869) Image search: [Google]
mare nostrum.png
365 KB, 1583x869
>>595738
I'm talking about the Carthagian colonies.
>>
>>595738

There were cities other than Tartessos in the South, like, you know, the famous Gadir.

>One of the city's notable features during antiquity was the temple on the south end of its island dedicated to the Phoenician god Melqart, who was conflated with Hercules by the Greeks and Romans under the names "Tyrian Hercules" and "Hercules Gaditanus". It had an oracle and was famed for its wealth.[10] In Greek mythology, Hercules was sometimes credited with founding Gadeira after performing his tenth labor, the slaying of Geryon, a monster with three heads and torsos joined to a single pair of legs. (A tumulus near Gadeira was associated with Geryon's final resting-place.[11]) According to the Life of Apollonius of Tyana, the "Heracleum" (i.e., the temple of Melqart) was still standing during the 1st century. Some historians, based in part on this source, believe that the columns of this temple were the origin of the myth of the "pillars of Hercules".[12]
>>
>>595801
Punics weren't exactly Phoenician. They were closely related to them, but there were sensible differences between them. Plus, Carthage didn't have long-lasting settlements in Hispania as they were rapidly crushed by Rome.

>>595809
Yeah, I actually mentioned Gadir above. I meant that it was reduced to Phoenician enclaves, it wasn't geographically widespread.
>>
>>595849

>Yeah, I actually mentioned Gadir above. I meant that it was reduced to Phoenician enclaves, it wasn't geographically widespread.
And that guy just say that there were Phoenicians in the South, which is right.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.