[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
argumentum ornithologicum
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 4_21_anselm.jpg (19 KB, 200x214) Image search: [Google]
4_21_anselm.jpg
19 KB, 200x214
I close my eyes and see a flock of birds. The vision lasts a second or perhaps less; I don’t know how many birds I saw. Were they a definite or an indefinite number? This problem involves the question of the existence of God. If God exists, the number is definite, because how many birds I saw is known to God. If God does not exist, the number is indefinite, because nobody was able to take count. In this case, I saw fewer than ten birds (let’s say) and more than one; but I did not see nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, or two birds. I saw a number between ten and one, but not nine, eight, seven, six, five, etc. That number, as a whole number, is inconceivable; ergo, God exists.
>>
>I close my eyes and see a flock of birds
No, you see birds when your eyes are open. That's how vision works.
>>
Existence precedes essence, and basing an argument on a subjective "mental image" visible only to you is pretty piss poor evidence. I also don't believe a lot of your conclusions are logically inferred from your premises, which can be rejected outright without much trouble anyway. It's telling that theists have to resort to these sort of ontological mind games.

>If God exists, the number is definite, because how many birds I saw is known to God.

Clearly you didn't see any. You vaguely imagined some of the properties a flock of birds has. God could also care and not choose to watch; the idea that God has to be omnipotent and omniscient is a Christian concept that historically didn't apply to deities as a whole.

>That number, as a whole number, is inconceivable; ergo, God exists.

There's no logical reason inconceivable things couldn't exist in an atheistic universe. All it requires is that all the workings of the unconscious mind do not occupy our immediate conscious experience, or that our sensory organs are unable to detect something.
>>
What if there was a half of a bird among them?
>>
>>591454
>If God does not exist, the number is indefinite, because nobody was able to take count.

Are you telling me that the number of cookies in my cookie jar is indefinite, because no one has taken count of them yet?
>>
>>591454

No, there was a particular number of birds, just an unknown quantity. If you had been more accurate in your count, you would know. Just because a given set of facts is unknown to you, indeed unknown to anyone, does not imply they're unknowable or that there is some sort of watchful deity keeping track of it all.
>>
>>591470
The idea is that he's imagining the birds
>>591481
>>591500
This is Borges' parody of the ontological argument, obviously it isn't cogent (it wasn't meant to be), but its far more clever than your giving it credit for.
>>
>>591454
The number is definite and is independent of your perception of the birds.
>>
File: 1443629016098-2.png (568 KB, 800x584) Image search: [Google]
1443629016098-2.png
568 KB, 800x584
>>591454

somebody get this guy a university chair and some penitents

today OP was a pretty cool guy
>>
>>591515
Well he didn't really make the context clear did he?
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.