[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/his/ tv shows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 20
File: romehbo.jpg (555 KB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
romehbo.jpg
555 KB, 2592x1456
Why was HBO's 'Rome' so based?
>>
>>458216
Rome is the best show I watched in my entire life of 22 years
>>
>>458232
It has one BIG fucking flaw, lad.
>>
>>458234

Which is?
>>
>>458216
Pullo = Anthony
Vorenus = Caesar
>>
>>458239
The Gauls don't look like Gauls? That was the only flaw I noticed with it.
>>
>>458243

>Gauls are literally only in the first episode(Vercingetorix's execution scene doesn't count)
>Major flaw of the entire show
>>
I've always wanted to make a series about the Punic Wars. Only problem I can see would be budget and timeframe. It would require at least 7 seasons, I would think: 3 for the First, 3 for the Second, and 1 for the Third.
>>
>>458239
Only two seasons, son ;__;
Also it could've showed the passage of time better, but I understand why they didn't.

Imagine:
Season 1 - buildup to war
Season 2 - Rubicon to death of Pompey
Season 3 - mopping up to Caesar's assassination
Season 4 - assassination to Augustus's second settlement

Include Sextus Pompey, more accurate Cato, more accurate everything actually, a happy, exuberant, physically fit Pompey before Julia's death, and other such things.
>>
>>458243
When the Gauls sacked Rome, some of the Gauls didn't believe the beards of the Romans were real and literally tried to pull them off. The legend has it, that the first man to die in the sacking was a Roman assaulting a Gaul who tried to pull his beard off.
>>
>tfw no epic series on the Pelloponesian War with George Clooney playing Pericles
>>
File: 1406858996624.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1406858996624.jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
>>458260
I think there were actually supposed to be ~6 seasons, but Game of Thrones killed Rome's funding
>>
>>458261
Why didn't they believe it?
>>
>>458280

What was Pompey's position again?
>>
>>458259
>Making a monument to the fall of based carthago
>>
>>458261
But they were characterised as moustachioed
>>
>>458294
We have to show what happens when a fucking trading post tries to fight SPQR
>>
>>458292

HE

WAS

A

CONSUL

OF

ROME
>>
File: LawrencePrometheus.gif (730 KB, 245x145) Image search: [Google]
LawrencePrometheus.gif
730 KB, 245x145
>>458284
>>
>>458292

HE WAS A PROLEGATE OF ANATOLIA
>>
>>458299
>Hating capitalism this much
>>
>>458311

The latifundia agricultural system was about as close to full scale capitalist enterprise the ancient world ever got. The sea trade was like running a lemonade stand in comparison.
>>
>>458216
>Why was HBO's 'Rome' so based?
Excellent writing, great acting from the main characters, well spent gigantic production budget.
Too bad for the fire.
>>
File: Constantinople2.jpg (794 KB, 1300x753) Image search: [Google]
Constantinople2.jpg
794 KB, 1300x753
>tfw no 'Constantinople' series

What era of the empire would you set it in?
>>
>>458353
Most likely one centered on Belisarius and Justinian. Alternatively one centered on the iconoclasty, or one on the Macedons? Perhaps focused on a fictionalized (so as to be more active in her pre-rule life) Zoe to act as Claudius in I, Claudius?
>>
>>458353
The last two emperors, and then the following two sultans, but with flashbacks to the heydey of byzantium.
>>
best series ever. i think that cato was inaccurate though.
>>458328
what fire?
>>
>>458404
http://www.reuters.com/article/television-rome-dc-idUSL1091356620070810
>>
>>458404
>i think that cato was inaccurate
Yes, it was kind of ridiculous really. He died at 49 yet his actor looked close to 70.
>>
File: KUBULAIUH.jpg (272 KB, 730x487) Image search: [Google]
KUBULAIUH.jpg
272 KB, 730x487
Really like this show so far. It's easy to get away with embellishment as well because it's not like the stories around Marco Polo were perfectly accurate. And Kublai is such a legend.
>>
>>458435
Thanks for the indirect recommendation. Gonna check it.
>>
File: band-of-brothers-03.jpg (184 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
band-of-brothers-03.jpg
184 KB, 1280x1024
>>458216

this

based off of real people who fought in the war and not just made up stories that take place in WW2

also each episode begins with the real guys talking about the war and then the final episode shows you which one is which in the show
>>
>>458292
>HE
>>
>>458632
>WUZ
>>
>>458634
>A CONZUL
>>
>>458638
>OF ROM
>>
>>458425
I really like Walken's portrayal of him in that one Julius Caesar film, even though most of that film is waaaay too dramatic.

>>458353
The Great Persian War, brief period of bliss, then BAM ARABS BITCH.

>>458311
>the Senate wasn't basically the most powerful trade union in world history
Yeah okay kid.

>>458280
FUCKING FANTASY FAAAAAAGS
>>
>not sure if secret hbo marketing or real fan
>>
>>458649

The show has been off-air for years, and the series is easily pirated. What would be the point?
>>
>>458353
It could only be set against the crusades culminating in the Sack of Byzantium.
>>
>>458649
>viral marketing a decade old TV show
literally why
>>
None of the actresses wore bras
>>
File: polly-walker_02.jpg (98 KB, 1002x762) Image search: [Google]
polly-walker_02.jpg
98 KB, 1002x762
>>458216
>>458737

Here's the answer
>>
>>458327
>The latifundia agricultural system was about as close to full scale capitalist enterprise the ancient world ever got.
Yeah because the commodity recirculated through those latifunda slaves exchanging their wages for commodities.
>>
>>458753
i wonder if she was riding that jewish guy for real in that scene
>>
>>458353
There should be a TV show set in Alexandria when the Christian cult is on the rise. Imagine. Romans, Egyptians, Jews, Christians living in the same place.
1st season would end with burning of the library and murder of Hypatia. (one of the main characters)
Show would explore those cultures, science of Alexandria, people and early Christianity.
>>
>>458778
The Library burned under the jealous eyes of Caesar first.
>>
>>458353
vikings: taken
henry VIII: taken
romance of the 3 kingdoms: taken and done by china who could do it better than we could
borgias: doesn't capture the public imagination much and already taken
english civil war: doesn't capture the public imagination much and already taken, though I enjoyed charles II and the devil's whore

alexander: too epic for a tv show
genghis khan: too epic

greek legends, philosophers and history: possible, though possibly too disparate, you would need some real experts and creativity to make it work
sengoku jidai: the japanese should probably do it

conquistadores: not eventful enough, too many disparate characters, wouldn't be enough continuation, this is more documentary territory

100 years war: competes with game of thrones and would be difficult to make it work

hmm don't know
>>
>>458544
Does "The Pacific" hold up at all?
>>
>>458812
The fire was accidental due to the siege of the city. Keeping the library intact was a prime goal of the besieging forces but soldiers tend to be a bit clumsy.

Nice meme though.
>>
>>458866

its alright, but no where near the level of BoB. Theres a few dud epsiodes, espcially the australia one.
>>
>>458836
Italian wars ? Francois I vs Charles V, intresting characters, setting and there's a continuity.
The death of Bayard would be a great moment with the right actors.

Or the 30 years war. A new genre : historical horror. Could be awesome if well done.
>>
>>458866
If you want to get the full BoB experience, read the book that Ambrose wrote. Winters and the others seem more "human" in it. That said, Nixon is easily one of the best characters in the show.
>>
File: vandal and alan warriors.jpg (125 KB, 694x920) Image search: [Google]
vandal and alan warriors.jpg
125 KB, 694x920
>>458886
Yeah sure, like Piraeus was alos an accident. Fuck off you Roman apologist scum.

It was also an accident that the Vandals chose Carthage as a base to SACK ROME!
>>
>>458234
I had flaws concerning the timeline in the first season though. Best show ever. Who cares when exactly Antonius was elected tribune.
>>
File: ..jpg (58 KB, 376x211) Image search: [Google]
..jpg
58 KB, 376x211
>every scene with Mark Purefoy in it
>>
File: 1446160975569.jpg (943 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
1446160975569.jpg
943 KB, 1600x1071
>there will never be a series following Kyros as he builds the first true empire on earth
>there will never be multi season series about the greek world in the 4th century, starting from the Persian Wars leading to the rise of Athens and Sparta and the Peloponnesian War
>there will never be a series that does the Warring States Period true justice
>there will never be an extensive series about the Diadochi Wars
>there will never be a series about the Punic Wars in all their glory
>there will never be a series about the conquests of the early Caliphate
>there will never be a series about the last years of the Eastern/Western Wei wars, the reunification of China under the Sui, the insane wars of the Sui and their fall in the ensuing civil wars
>there will never be a series about Tamerlane burning down much of central asia
>there will never be a series about the shenanigans of Mahmud of Ghazni
>there will never be a series about Babur and Akbar founding and expanding the Mughal Empire
>there will never be a series about the protestant movement in the Low Countries and how it led to the Dutch Revolt
>there will never be a series about the 30 Years War in all its glory
>there will never be a series about the Polish Deluge
>there will never be a series about the Anglo-Dutch Naval Wars
>there will never be a series about the Taiping Revolt

Seriously, why even live?
>>
>>458216
It's only fault was that it ended so quickly and they were forced to rush what would have been five season (going all the way to Christ) into two seasons.

I would say it was vastly better than Game of Thrones, but that would be an insult to Rome because even a pile of dogshit is better than Game of Thrones.
>>
File: Three_Kingdoms_intertitle.jpg (44 KB, 610x334) Image search: [Google]
Three_Kingdoms_intertitle.jpg
44 KB, 610x334
Also, watch Three Kingdoms if you haven't, you fucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShe58IL47k
>>
>>458996
Funny that you know so much about history, but not about the awesome With Fire and Sword, and Deluge films based on the novels by Henryk Sienkiewicz.
>>
A few questions, why did Vorenus place such highness of his predecessors fighting at Magnesia and Zama? Surely by that time it must have been quite common. Secondly why did Vorenus not like Cincinnati? I though he was a Catonian, and Cincinnati was a model Republican. Thirdly, I can understand that Pullo woulnd't know Cincinnati or the Gracchi, but how would he not know who Marius is? Assuming he was 40, he would have been born around 2 years after he died, surely he would have heard about him, and yet he knows who Helen of Troy is?
>>
>>459029
>drops baby on head
Literal retard
>>
Augustus was 19 when he was made consul. This makes him 10-11 in the beginning
>>
>>459047

>Why would a man extremely proud of his family history take pride in his ancestors fighting in Rome's victory against Hannibal, it's greatest enemy?
>>
>>459099
I'm just saying he used it as if he was better than others (as with Crito) when chances are hundreds of thousands people probably came from someone who fought there
>>
>>459042

With Fire and Sword is cool and all but it has a pretty heavy polish bias (obviously) and it only covers the Khmelnytsky Uprising and not the whole of the Deluge.
Its also much more of a personal drama instead of a political one.
>>
How many legions did Octavian had before the Triumvirate? If ten legions would be enough to crush what they had, Antony must have had like 20 fucking legions (They sent 28 legions to Greece)
>>
>>459047

>but how would he not know who Marius is?

The easy answer is that he is a proxy for the audience who doesn't know about the important parts of Roman history and need explanation. Maybe he was a rural who didn't have much knowledge of the populares v optimates. Maybe he was just an idiot.

As for knowing Helen, well... shes the name sake for Hellenic culture. I'd imagine it would be like not knowing who the virgin mary is in todays culture.
>>
>>459109
Not many in Caesar's legions, though. The majority of his troops came from Italian Gaul, which wasn't a heavy recruiting ground before Marius.

>>459133
Ah, I see what you mean.
>>
>>459163
Assuming he was just some poor guy who joined up with a legion, I doubt he had many Greek friends, and I doubt he read Greek poetry
>>
>>459212
It must be nice to live life so dense.
>>
>South Americans make a show based on the Spanish Colonies Independence Wars
>it is literally telenovela tier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2CBLFU5ScQ
>>
>>458778
> What is the movie Agora
>>
>>459064
I did like how the show had both the lad as well as the young adult versions of Octavian.

Also, that opening scene still gives me an eternal boner.
https://youtu.be/J7MYlRzLqD0
>>
>>458284
>>458261
This isn't quite right.

They knew the beards were real.

They didn't think the ROMANS were real.

The senate, when Gauls barged in, sat perfectly still and in silence.

Reacting the way spirits do on many occasions when people enter their realm in celtic myth.

The gauls were spellbound, started touching shit as a natural result.
>>
>>458280
GoT had nothing to do with it. Rome was simply FUCKING EXPENSIVE to produce.
>>
>>458647
>>458353
This.

The horror, loss, and triumph of a 30 yar war that swings from
>"we've lost everything, are under siege, and our army is now hundred of miles behind the lines and isolated"
to
>WE JUST BEAT OUR GREATEST FOE SO BADLY HE WILL NEVER THREATEN US AFTER CENTURIES OF WAR.
>THIS IS THE SECOND GOLDEN AGE OF ROME.
to
>arabs are smashing everything and they're here to stay, history is clearly cyclical

Is the stuff of fucking Hollywood.
>>
File: 1394799204980.jpg (652 KB, 1972x892) Image search: [Google]
1394799204980.jpg
652 KB, 1972x892
>>458353
Alexios I
>>
>>459789
A show about it could put fucking fiction like GoT to shame.
>>
>>458292
Part of the first Triumvirate, thank to year 11 history :)
>>
>>458836
the lusiads
t. alberto barbosa
>>
>>458280
Rome was cancelled before Game of Thrones was even considered for an option by HBO.
>>
>>458353
During Heraclius' rule
>>
>>460073
>>459781
>Rome ultimately proved prohibitively expensive to make, which led to its untimely demise after just two seasons. If there’s a subtle implication in Heller’s words that Thrones is merely a better-budgeted continuation of Rome with a different narrative, it’s rendered explicit by the words of Kevin McKidd, who played the leading role of Roman legionary Lucius Vorenus. "They stole our fucking show," is McKidd’s candid assessment of Game of Thrones, which is a perspective that fellow Rome star James Purefoy says he sympathizes with.
http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2015/4/13/8398811/hbo-game-of-thrones-rome-drama-series
>>
>>458280
no it was a very expensive show which was partly funded by the BBC. the BBC pulled out leading to the show being cancelled. at some point the set burned down which was insanely expensive killing any chance of the show being brought back. HBO did indeed wish to bring it back after they realised just how popular the show was and how well the DVDs were selling but rebuilding a set like that was just too much
>>
File: Heraclius.jpg (180 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Heraclius.jpg
180 KB, 1920x1080
>>460094
>>
>>458649
Whenever you have a doubt

its always marketing
>>
>>460094
Fucks yes.
>>
File: giulio-romano-battle-of-zama.jpg (453 KB, 1013x693) Image search: [Google]
giulio-romano-battle-of-zama.jpg
453 KB, 1013x693
>>458353
way WAY back before the empire
>>
>>458836
The Swedish war of liberation would make for an interesting tv show, if the Danish and Swedish sources could be properly aligned.
>>
Is HBO's Rome the answer to China's Three Kingdoms (the newest series)?
>>
>>459778
How can rome be real if the romans aren't real?
t. Jadensmix
>>
>>458260
Season 2 was supposed to end with the death of Brutus.

When they realised it was gonna be cancelled they had to tear through the history, hence the massive time jumps

Also
>yfw you realise Pullo and Vorenus were real soldiers mentioned by Caesar
>>
File: Historie_v01_c02_050_051.jpg (259 KB, 1456x1042) Image search: [Google]
Historie_v01_c02_050_051.jpg
259 KB, 1456x1042
>>458216
I'd love to see Historie turned into a series

shit would be based but given the current political climate they'd completely change what happened to Eumenes' mom and cut out the most gruesome parts.

no pun intended
>>
The life of Saint Paul
>>
>>460262
Source?
>>
I just can't get into this show. Puts me to sleep every time I give it a chance. I even made it through Dan Carlin's History of Rome podcast, but this show is just so damn boring to me. I don't get the obsession.
>>
>>458488
I tried was hung it once and lost interest

The second time I tried I was hooked and loved it. I think the Asian theme was off putting to me until I stated reading about the mongols
>>
>>458216
>That pic.
I thought Roman cavalry didn't have stirrups?
>>
File: hollowcrown.jpg (183 KB, 612x344) Image search: [Google]
hollowcrown.jpg
183 KB, 612x344
>>458836

The Wars of the Roses deserves better than The White Queen and an upcoming Shakespeare adaptation.

Pic related, what is likely to be the only good thing in the entire thing.
>>
>>461468

Because it fulfilled the historic tits and gore slot Game of Thrones is currently occupying.
>>
>>461510
There's this thing called workplace safety and the stirrups are part of this.
>>
>>461510
They didn't, but we're not sure how a four horned saddle is made, and few if any people in the western world can do anything without stirrups.
>>
>>459789
I could already see the final episode
>turks invading and fucking shit up
>emperor Constantine looking over the whole city, and taking in the end of Rome
>he casts off his regalia and delivers his final heart-wrenching lines before joining the fray, never to be seen from again
>The city falls to the enemy, finally ending the empire which lasted centuries. and it's influence on the modern world centuries later
>>
>>461638
I jsut want to see the last christian ceremony in the hagia sophia. Catholic and orthodox alike, under one roof, united against the turks and their excessive body hair.
>>
>>458243
How don't they look like Gauls?
>>
>>458216
Spartacus was better, at least the first season and the prequel.
>>
>>458353

Basil II
>>
>>460563
wat, Rome ended a decade ago
>>
File: Isabel_titlecard.jpg (121 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Isabel_titlecard.jpg
121 KB, 640x360
Only because the Spaniards have fucking hilarious accents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4cEc9uasrg
>>
>>460563
welcome, time traveller!
>>
>>462118
No. Spartacus sucks balls.
>>
>>458435
>>458488
Yeah, I like it too, although its less a historical show and more a kung fu show. The parts showing the mongols fighting were pretty terrible.
>dueling on foot
>top generals immediately charging into the breach
>>
>>459737
>how the show had both the lad as well as the young adult versions of Octavian
I loved that too, although they probably should have changed the actor a bit earlier when Octavian returned from Mediolanum
>>
>>461638
>end of Rome
800 years l8 m8

>>462118
What. In. The. Actual. Fuck.
If you had said the Spartacus FILM by Kubrick, you might've been right by some measure.
>>
>>462118
>every gladiator duel ends up in death
>forced nudity that makes GOT look prude
>this retarded scissor finisher Spartacus uses
>that huge pale guy looking like a videogame boss

yeah fuck off
>>
>>462843
i bet that douche loved 300 too...
>>
But why were they gangsters?
>>
>>458292

FUIT CUI CONSUL POPULI ROMANI
>>
>>458216
Part of me want to watch this show but on the other hand I'll only get frustrated because of no definitive ending.

John Adams is still the greatest.
>>
>>462958
HE WAS AN ABSENTEE PROCONSUL OF THE SPAINS
>>
>>460164
Kevin McKidd was just an actor. He has no idea what he's talking about.
>>
I don't fucking believe any of you that it's actually good

I sat through three seasons of that fucking deadwood show and it was completely mediocre
>>
>>463582
>deadwood
>completely mediocre
Well, that just means you have shit taste, dude.
>>
>>463597
for an HBO show it is definitely

and you can tell because they cancelled that shit quick
>>
>>463582
deadwood was good which means you have objectively bad taste, but rome is appreciably better. think i'm going to pop episode 1 into the ol' dvd player this evening.
>>
>>458234
you can't watch it without a hand on your dick?
>>
File: 1418682201739.png (250 KB, 649x616) Image search: [Google]
1418682201739.png
250 KB, 649x616
>>462843
dude, that bathtub scene (you know which one :^) ) is worth every minute
>>
>>463582
What the fuck does that have to do with anything.

>>463686
Only during Purefoy and incest scenes.
Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.