[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
greece under rome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: OdilonRedonCyclops.jpg (243 KB, 1280x1615) Image search: [Google]
OdilonRedonCyclops.jpg
243 KB, 1280x1615
Question about greece and the greeks under roman rule.

After the macedonian wars and the roman conquest of greece, am i wrong for stating that the greeks seemed to have gotten used to the romans and in general, didnt mind being under roman rule? Am i wrong?

Did they resent the romans? Were there major revolts in greece 50, 100, 200 years after the conquest? I dont think ive read about any.

Did they just not mind the romans as much? "These guys are similar to us, they admire us and have adopted many things from our culture, why not just get along?". Was that the case?

Pretty much asking about the relationship between rome and roman controlled greece in general, and the average greek during the peroid. If a greek travelled west, would he have found rome and other cities quite different from his native greece? Were there any roman practices or aspects of roman culture that greeks always found "weird"?

Thanks in advance.
(I know of polybius)
>>
>>582313
>the greeks seemed to have gotten used to the romans and in general, didnt mind being under roman rule? Am i wrong?Did they resent the romans

Dude, there was this massive revolt where all of greece united against their roman overlords. The one initiated by Pontus and where based Sulla fought.
Pretty much every roman living in greece was murdered there.
also there were lots of smaller uprisings and bloody sieges of cities (theben comes to mind) before.

Though probably 50-100 years later there were indeed no more resent, because rome itself became hellenized. You know, all the "Graecia capta ferum victorem cepit" stuff.
>>
>>582313
>Did they resent the romans?

Mostly just felt a sense of superiority over them.

>Were there major revolts in greece 50, 100, 200 years after the conquest?

Not really.

>If a greek travelled west, would he have found rome and other cities quite different from his native greece?

This was the case with the entire Roman empire. People seem to be under the mistaken impression that everyone became the same under Rome with a single uniform culture, each city was a nation and each region had its own sense of identity. The Greeks particularly. Instead of finding gymnasions, libraries and theatres in abundance, and Greek style agora marketplaces, they'd have been shocked to find an obsession with gladitorial fighting, beast slaying etc. Food was very different depending on where you are in the world, with the Romans preferring pork. Both liked wine though.
>>
>>582313
Well i small fact is that the greeks eventually came to call themselves Romioi and the byzantine empire Rhomania as did other people under Roman influence (modern Romania).
>>
>>582313
The Romans were more suspicious of Greek domination of their culture, than Greeks were upset with Roman occupation.

It's impossible to understate how much the Romans were Grecoboos.
>>
File: 1381122100054.png (131 KB, 1248x2998) Image search: [Google]
1381122100054.png
131 KB, 1248x2998
>>585749
>It's impossible to understate how much the Romans were Grecoboos.
>>
>a bunch of cringeworthy greekboos consolidates into a state just near your Taras
>they even conquered those ayy lmao Etruscans
>what the fuck they are just nearby
>
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.