[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name a country with more boring history.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: iu[1].gif (16 KB, 1181x788) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].gif
16 KB, 1181x788
Name a country with more boring history.
>>
not possible. maybe Australia. It went down hill after the Brits went up the St. Lawrence and BTFO the frogs.
>>
Australia and NZ?
>>
>>451756
boring aint bad
its more fun to observe instability from afar rather than to experience it firsthand.
>>
it's actually far from boring. recent history is pretty boring sure but anything 1960ish and back is pretty interesting
>>
>>451756
Belize
>British come in and colonize the place
>goddamn hurricanes
>stay for a while
>fucking hurricanes
>leave
>more fucking hurricanes
>modern times
>what the fuck is with these hurricanes
>>
>>451770
Australia has convicts and bushrangers, NZ has Maori Wars
>>
>>451756
>no History
actually there's a proud history of killing Germans. Canadians were by far the most effective force when it came to taking on Germans, even had one man armies soloing their way across Europe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A9o_Major
>>
>>451815

>dudes hunting beavers
>fucking over Natives by making them sign away their land instead of war
>yea lets build a railroad!
>attempt at rebellion in 1837, fails miserably
>Louis Riel
>Bretty cool WWI involvement
>Less cool WWII involvement
>>
>>451915
Canada had its own beach at Normandy. We participated plenty in WW2. See also, Battle of Hong Kong, defended by Canadians.

Canadian history isn't as massively world-changing as a lot of other nations, but to call it boring is intellectually dishonest. The history of Quebec, and federal-provincial relations in general is crazy interesting.
>>
>>451915
>no mention of French-English conflict
You missed the most (possibly only) interesting part of Canada's history.
>>
If you want a boring history, look up Germany history before Bismarck.
>>
Am Canadian, can confirm. That being said, places that are never in the news are typically really good places to actually live.
>>
>>451960
>German History prior bismarck
>Boring
>Literally the most dynamic place in Europe due to all the competing tiny states.
>>
>>451756
Moldova
>>
>>451974
It's like saying Russian novels are boring because they're not dumbed down like comics or TV series
>>
Any current French colony

>Nothing
>French come
>French stayed
>>
>>451856
That's pretty piss poor compared to Canadian history. Seven Years War, 1812, 1837 Rebellions, Red River Rebellion, mounties, Indians and Frogs etc. I'm convinced that Australia and NZ have nothing going on in comparison.
>>
Madagascar
>>
File: can-1438138829519.png (973 KB, 802x962) Image search: [Google]
can-1438138829519.png
973 KB, 802x962
>>
>>451816
Belize-Canada fag here. Enjoyed Belize's history more cause pirates by the outer atolls
>>
>>451946
no he's right. we did some crazy shit in WWI especially considering our population. sure we also did a good bit in WWII but not even anywhere close to what we did during WWI. WWII for us was really more of a support role and making sure the Brits got the supplies they needed so most of our focus went into the Navy and convoy protection
>>
>>453937
What about the riots in Montreal a couple years back...
>>
>>454401
that was just a few university kids crying because tuition went up by like $2
>>
>>454384
What was great about Canada in WW1? muh Vimy?
>>
>>454401
Canada's #1 cause of rioting is hockey
Let that sink in

>>454454
Vimy, Paschendale, being one of the best armies on the field in general
>>
>>454454
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_battles_during_the_First_World_War

on top of the battles it's more just the accomplishments. Canada managed to mobilise a pretty large army with such a small population. also managed to stand up to gas attacks and hold the line while all the old world forces around them fled

i could go on all day pointing out specific shit but i suggest you just go read a little about it
>>
>>453868
The problem with Canada is that it's the least interesting version of a well-trodden path of colonisation. Australia was weird from the start - outcasts, misfits and rebels dumped in an alien landscape. NZ's Maori Wars rival the American Indian Wars. Canada is just "bleh"
>>
>>451756
Yeah, I don't get this meme. For a young country Canadian history is actually pretty interesting.
>>
>>454723
I'm sorry but if the history of your country can be summed up as being a penal colony or fighting natives then it has a shit history. Canada wins by virtue of having more.
>>
>>454981
There's obviously more to Oz and NZ than the convict era and Maori Wars, those are just to the go-to reference points. Sort of US relations is the touchstone of Canadian history.
>>
>>451756
If Napoleonic/Victorian history is your thing you would enjoy Canadian History. If not, you won't. Simple as that.
>>
>>451766
>>451770
I'd agree with NZ but Austrlia had a pretty good opener, criminals attempting to create society and early families were a result of landlords banging bitches who were short on rent and hookers going in bareback protection.
>>
>>451756
It kind of sucked having a Canadian nationalist as a history teacher. Dude would not shut up about his useless interceptor plane that "totally paved the ground for modern jets!", discounting projects like the XB-70.

Fucking Canadians.
>>
I really can't think of one besides little micro Euro nations like Andorra.
>>
>>451756
Andorra.
>>
New Zealand.
>>
>>456056
yeah our countries inferiority complex about america is pretty annoying
>>
>>451756
None exists, I hated history class in grade school so much.
>>
File: this tbh fam.gif (210 KB, 921x155) Image search: [Google]
this tbh fam.gif
210 KB, 921x155
>>456137
Seriously.
>>
>>451816
do people live there?
i mean, my state has borders with belize and i have never seen or heard anyone from there
>>
>>456137
I love my country but the only difference between Canadian culture and American culture close to the border is that we desperately look for as many cultural differences as we can and amplify them to such an extreme just to seem un-american.
>>
File: 1393717157933.jpg (40 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
1393717157933.jpg
40 KB, 620x413
>>451756
Latvia.
At first we had potato. Then, we had no potato. Finally, glorious return of potato. So much to talking about.
>>
>>456263
Yeah, I live in Vancouver and there is literally no difference between us and Bellingham/Seattle/Tacoma. You'd be hard pressed to even know you've passed a border if the Peace Arch wasn't in the way.
>>
>>455143
If there is more to them then why didn't you cite those examples? Also the touchstone of Canadian history is definitely French-English relations.
>>
File: 100-11.jpg (32 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
100-11.jpg
32 KB, 960x600
>>451756

Ahem.
>>
>>456314
/thread
>>
>>454487
Where could I read about this? Sounds interesting. Not the same anon btw.
>>
Testing penis in my mouth bitter sweetness mmmm
>>
>>456504
In the broader context of civilsation, Canada will be remembered as the reactive neighbour of a proactive superpower. No interesting cultural transaction has taken place between Anglo Canada and French Canada, unlike say white and Maori NZ. Australian history to me is less about events persay and more about individuals who were events unto themselves. I doubt there is a Canadian version of someone like https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Wills
>>
Turkish history kinda sucks desu
>>
>he doesn't know any Canadian history so assumes its boring
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.