[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a degree in Classics the way to go? Half of my university's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 8.jpg (225 KB, 900x550) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
225 KB, 900x550
Is a degree in Classics the way to go?

Half of my university's political science/history courses are about muh colonialism and immigration.
>>
A degree not in history would be preferable, unless you are aspiring to be the assistant manager at Starbuck's.

Unless you're doing history for pre-law you're probably fucked.

But yeah that said my concentration is in classical studies. Anything else and you're going to hear endless leftist white guilt and self-flagellation.
>>
>>451620

I'm already work in IT, but I need a degree to get a promotion into management.
>>
>>451625
Ah, then yes. Do classics. Like I said, most other histories will be invaded with SJWs doing it for a humanities credit and spewing their toxic white self-hate. However studying classical civilizations tends to scare them away so you'll be fine
>>
>>451614

Fuck.

3/4ths of our religion courses are about Islam or Judaism.
>>
>>451614
>>451642
Just curious, do they cover the Ottoman Empire, or other non European empires when they cover colonialism, or do they just exclusively cover British, German, French etc colonialism.... ie. da bad whitey ruined the world for everyone!
>>
Yes.
>>
>>451690

In other courses I've taken the Ottoman slave trade might get a paragraph or two at most.
>>
>>451690
Nope, just whitey. They completely ignore the massive Islamic conquest, they ignore the Islamic slave trade, and they ignore modern day imperialism of places like China. The most we ever covered on the Ottomans was saying they "occupied" the Balkans for a while. A WHILE. 500 YEARS IS A WHILE HAHAHAHAHA. Fuckin' white guilt, man. I hate liberals. Oh and they may briefly mention that the slave trade went through the Ottomans as well, but most of the focus is on HURR EVIL WHITEY TOOK SLAVES OUT OF AFRICA FROM THE COAST DURR
>>
>>453400
What was the course? It seems to have you #triggered
>>
>>453426
Just some generic Colonialism and Imperialism 100 level class or something I took my freshman year because I needed to fill up my schedule. Yeah it triggered me kinda, because I'm sick of fucking self-flagellating whites telling me I should feel guilty for my people civilizing the known world.
>>
>>451614
I did Ancient History which included a fair few Classics modules, it tends to have a lot less SJW types in it for some reason.
>>
>>453400
>>451967
>department at my school has a professor with his research specialty in Late 19th/Early 20th century East Africa/Persian Gulf
>wrote on the relationship between an upswing in the demand for pearls and dates in the US and an increase in the extralegal Ottoman/Arab slave trade at the turn of the century
>courses had a good amount of time devoted to Ottoman and Arab treatment of East Africa and the resulting African diaspora into the middle east

feels good
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.