[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the Gaelic languages of the British Isles closer to Germanic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: novembreblogpostfig.jpg (331 KB, 1106x1508) Image search: [Google]
novembreblogpostfig.jpg
331 KB, 1106x1508
Are the Gaelic languages of the British Isles closer to Germanic or Romantic languages?

DNA evidence doesn't always go hand in hand with linguistics of course, but we can usually see relativity in the former with locations and neighbouring relationships between two areas, ie. Belgium and the Netherlands, the Netherlands and Germany, Sweden and Norway, Ireland and Scotland, etc. With this in mind, the British Isles is located notably closer to say, Germany, than it is to Spain, yet both of these nations have Celtic in their history. This also pushes the question of what Celtic really is, because it's a word the Romans and Greeks used to define a group which emerged from like Turkey or something and spread all across Europe thousands of years ago. However it is also a word we associate with the native Brits as well as the French Gauls, and the Iberians too who claim some Celt-Iberian heritage or what have you.

When we look at the languages of these places which claim this heritage, we can hear the similarities between Gaelic (especially with its throaty 'ch's that German also has), yet I can't think of any similarities with French (which I speak decently, as do I with German). Then again I speak no Gaelic so I can't comment on that.

Also, physically usually, one cannot tell your average German, Scots, or Irishman apart, although sometimes it's certainly obvious, but this is the same with say the Spanish in accordance to these listed three. Ireland and Germany have very high concentrations of blue eyes, but Spain not nearly as high.

In short, where do these Celts really originate from? What of their languages and whatnot?

Pic related is a genetic relativity map for reference to what I'm talking about.
What do you think?
>>
Celtic languages were closer to Italic branch of Indo-European languages thus Latin. (There is considered a larger Celto-Italic language family). Back then Celtic languages sounded a lot closer to Latin and Greek frequently ending in "-os" or "-us.". Although culturally Celtic peoples have much more similarities with Germanic peoples
>>
>>451085
Interesting, please do go on if you can.

What supporting evidence can you find for what you've said?
>>
Some kind of closer connection between the Celtic, Italic, and Germanic languages (as a subfamily of Indo-European) has been suspected for a long time. A lot of people are looking at the Bell Beaker Culture of the Bronze Age as a possible shared ancestor.
>>
They're all closer to Greek than Latin or German
>>
>>450664
There is no correlation between genetics and linguistics. I am not going to read the rest of your post because your image is entirely off topic.

>>451085
This guy is correct. If you want 'supporting evidence' why don't you read a book about linguistics?

>>451150
>Germanic, Celtic, Italic
This I have never heard before. Mostly because Germanic has vastly different structure to it than Romance languages.
>>
>>451154
no
>>
>>451174
Image was just of genetic relativity between European peoples. That's quite relative to my post, and I think you're also a dick.

Where the fuck am I expected to find such academic books on short notice, while I'm simply trying to have an educated discussion? What's up your ass, man?
>>
>>451174
>There is no correlation between genetics and linguistics
you know as well as i do that there's a correlation. it's imperfect but it's obviously real. don't lie.
>>451174
there are no large structural differences. proto-germanic has one major sound change (grimm's law) that makes some cognates hard to spot, but the lexis, syntax, morphology, etc. are all easy to recognize as typically indo-european.
>>
Check out what I said on your /int/ thread
>>>/int/52537272
>>
>>450664
Germanic. This is an easy one. Germanic speaking people colonized the isles.
>>
>>451648
If yo are just going to make assumptions based off your limited knowledge off history why post as if you think you know what you are saying
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.