[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone here majoring in a college or university degree field
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: isbn.aspx.jpg (30 KB, 390x500) Image search: [Google]
isbn.aspx.jpg
30 KB, 390x500
Is anyone here majoring in a college or university degree field related to history or other humanities?
>>
>>450586
I'm doing STEM but I'm thinking of double majoring in politics.
>>
I'm currently doing a Bachelor of Arts in History and Government & International Relations. What are you doing, OP?
>>
>>450586
>on /his/
>asks if anybody is majoring in history
Well I certainly hope so.

I am an ROTC cadet majoring in History and (obviously) minoring in Military Science. I want to go to seminary and be an Army chaplain.
>>
>>450735
You *want* to be a sky pilot?
>>
>>450811
Well, I didn't originally, but it's not really up to me. I received a calling and I can't argue.
>>
>>450586
Yes, history undergrad, hoping to do grad school for library and information science
>>
Depends on if you want to count sociology towards the humanities or not. I've a bachelor of science in sociology.
>>
>>450845
You poor fucker. I hope you're at least hindu, islamic, buddhist, jain or shinto. Nope, you got a calling from old YHWH dincha?

Poor bastard. You know the enlisted will hate you.
>>
>>450735

>Member of armed services who also has a passion for theology and serving God

Like a contemporary Aramis
>>
>>450586
I'm in grad school for philosophy.
>>
>>451119
Or you could just fucking enlist instead of becoming a sky pilot.
>>
>>450586
I'm doing a science and philosophy.
>>
>>450586
Not me, but my roommates are Classics and English Lit majors.
>>
Bachelors in History and History
>>
File: images.png (7 KB, 126x127) Image search: [Google]
images.png
7 KB, 126x127
double major in poly-sci and history

why isn't all of /his/ like me?
>>
>>450811
>>451230
"sky pilot" ?
>>
>>451524
>poly-sci
>poly
>majoring in "many sciences"
>>
>>451524
>Asian Studies is the way
>>
>>451541
heh
>>
>>451535
Hey Vietnamese friend. "Sky pilot" is a US military slang for a military chaplain. Might also be IWW slang.

Riding around on God, doing no soldiering. Acting like an officer / pilot like their shit doesn't stink.
>>
Anyone here actually in the armed services? Got a question. I graduated with dual degrees in history and polisci. I want to go into the Navy as an intelligence officer and went in a year ago for an informational interview with an officer recruiter. Thing is, pot here in Oregon had recently become legal and, without thinking, I tried it one time, very briefly, but I still tried it.

They asked if I had ever done drugs and, while it was really stupid in retrospect, I didnt even think about lying in the moment and said yes, explained that I smoked pot, and had only done it once. They said that due to Navy policy I have to wait a year before I can try to sign up again.

I checked and double checked with them, asking if, after that year, my chances would be negatively impacted by the pot use and they swore that they would not be. Apparently I make a pretty good candidate according to them (high grades, eagle scout, two degrees, fit and in shape).

I've spent the last year getting more in shape and getting some job experience (working with juvenile delinquents at a treatment/halfway house).

So my big question is, assuming I dont do drugs at all and stay in shape, were they bullshitting me when they said my one time pot use would not negatively affect my chances of getting in or was that a nice way of telling me to take a year, then not come back?

If the navy doesnt work out I have no idea what I'm going to do...
>>
>>451559
Vietnamese? Im from Utah man. I don't know army slang though...

Makes sense though. I can totally see how a preacher who outranks them and does no heavy lifting would rub their noses the wrong way...
>>
>>451560
You're an idiot, dude!
>>
>>451573
Don't punctuate like a french person then !
>>
>>451581
That doesn't really answer my question. I've been feeling like shit this entire past year thinking I screwed up my chances so any thoughts would be appreciated.

[spoiler]Don't do drugs kids, not even once. I didn't even feel anything from that one time smoking[/spoiler]
>>
>>451560
Navy has zero tolerance policy for drugs and alcohol. You have a 70% chance of being able to enlist in the Navy, 50% chance of getting a commission, 30% chance of getting a top secret clearance, and a 10% of getting into Intel. Just the truth friend. Want better chances? Learn a language, go for the army. All percentages increase by 50%.
>>
>>451601
Those percents are even without prior drug use? Damn...Intel is that low?

Well what the hell am I going to do with my life now?
>>
>>451610
Without prior drug use, increase those numbers by 30. Not impossible. Waivers will be needed and with no branch currently undermanned, not many recruiters are willing to do the paperwork. My advice, if you really want in, never leave them alone. Bug the shit out of them. Not to the point where they have you banned from the office but remind them that you're not going away.
>>
>>450586
Doing a double major in English literature and philosophy with a minor in Russian & Eastern European Studies.
>>
File: 1450818763098.png (54 KB, 753x426) Image search: [Google]
1450818763098.png
54 KB, 753x426
Economics

>>inb4 economics isnt humanities
>>
>>451600
weed never makes any difference in the first time, brah
>>
>>451785
Economics isn't a humanity. Graduate to political economy. Ricardo, Marx, Mandel.
>>
History major, Poli-sci minor. Planning on getting into politics. Fall backs would be museum work or university professor.
>>
I majored in classics. Now I'm pursuing a JD. I never intended to pursue classics as a career, but it's a fascinating period and your undergraduate degree means precisely fuck-all when applying to law school.
>>
File: mckay.jpg (16 KB, 500x633) Image search: [Google]
mckay.jpg
16 KB, 500x633
I have no fucking idea what it is called in english, but I'm reading a 6-month pleb tier history course at my local university. Started with the neolitical revolution and we're soon at the end of WWII. Shit is good and I've gained an interest for history. This is our main litterature by the way.
>>
>>450735
>history as anything other than a hobby

I hope not. STEM for money, humanities for leisure.
>>
Doing a BA in Archaeology and Anthropology rn senpai.
>>
>>450901
More of a social science.
>>
>>450901
More of a social science
>>
File: 1402004671807.jpg (37 KB, 396x382) Image search: [Google]
1402004671807.jpg
37 KB, 396x382
>>450586
Please check catalog before posting
>>
BS in International Business, with history as my hobby of course.
>>
>>450586
Have a BA in History and actually got a relevant job.

STEM fags BTFO
>>
>Studying Religious studies
>I chose Sanskrit instead of Chinese or Arabic
>>
>>452841
This Is why you'll never be able to actually understand history
>>
>>453783
Atleast you can turn into Krishna at will
>>
>>453764
I just graduated with a degree in history. How did you find your job?
>>
>>453764
what is this relevant job?
>>
>>450586
About to start my double major in philosophy and religion in 3 weeks!
>>
History and art history, looking to be a curator boyos, following your dreams ww@?
>>
File: ehhem.jpg (255 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ehhem.jpg
255 KB, 800x600
>>453847
>falling for the "study what you 'love' at University" meme
No, college is supposed to set you up for a career and if you live in America it's expensive as fuck.
If you wanna learn history/politics/programming/etc and it's not part of your career, do that shit on your own time for free. The Internet exists.
>>
>>450586
Got a Bachelor's degree in history and pursuing a Master's degree now, with a spin on naval history.
>>
>>456604
>college is a job training facility meme
Everything wrong with universities today desu

But I do agree that if your family can't afford it and you don't have a scholarship you should really consider other options if you just can't do something really lucrative.
>>
>>450586
Im currently studying for a bachelor in European Studies. Which specializes in politics, history, and intercultural communication. Its a fucking fantastic study with all the shit going on in the EU right now, and heavily related to the history and current day events of the continent
>>
Got a degree in math. Now I'm majoring in philosophy, but I'm taking it really easy. This major is mostly to satisfy a personal achievement. Always loved philosophy but due to the urgency to get to work I've never had enough time/resources to spend in a degree that, unfortunately, wouldn't get me a decent job.
>>
>>456698
If you're doing that, just look into a trade school, for fucks sake.
>>
Currently studying Conservation & Restoration if that counts, basically getting taught how to repair and look after old museum items
>>
Currently studying for a bachelor in Theatre with a musical emphasis. My future looks bright and sunny.
>>
>>457715

Everything looks bright and sunny if you're trained to sing your problems away like an obnoxious tool.
>>
>>457715

Are you a huge cunt like every other performing theater major?
>>
>>458116
I don't think so, I usually try to be polite and helpful to others

>>458101
I don't use it to deal with problems I just do it because I enjoy it and I want to spend my life doing what I enjoy even if it doesn't pay well
>>
Double major in philosophy and comparative literature with a focus on french lit, so a french minor as well
>>
I'd love to but my dream has always been to work for the CDC.
>>
>>459263

CDC is gov
>>
>>460291
No it's not.
>>
>>451524
Because, in my case, Florida hates double majors and will financially rake one over the coals for trying it.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.