[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you stop an army of horse archers?? spears? Phalanx?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: Skeleton_5f8cf0_5702968.jpg (66 KB, 780x468) Image search: [Google]
Skeleton_5f8cf0_5702968.jpg
66 KB, 780x468
How would you stop an army of horse archers??
spears? Phalanx? is there a way? or was it just war on easy mode?
>>
>>44940
>How could europe stop them?
They couldn't, the Mongols went as far as Poland before Gengis died. I believe the invention of Cannons and improvement in pikemen formation eventually phased Calvary as a whole out as well. Though I am pretty sure Parthians found a way to stop the nomads from constantly raiding them
>>
>>44940
Burn the countryside and dig in. Horse archers cannot attack fortifications on their own, and lose all of their advantages if you force them to wait for their logistical base to catch up and lay siege to a fortified position.
>>
>>44940
forts
>>
>>44940
You kill them with walls or bowmen on a hill.
>>
>>44940
Artillery I believe was used by the Romans to some effect, they least found slings could be used to make Cataphracts eat shit.
>>
>>45085
Didn't help the Ruthenians nor did it help the chinese
>scaling walls with piles of corpses
>>
>>45057
>>45085
on a battle field I mean, you can't sit in fortifications forever.

>>45046
maybe Phalanx with a shield surrounding? sort of like a spikey turtle?
>>
>>45143
If you've found yourself on an open battlefield with an infantry army facing horse archers without preparations, you're fucked.
>>
>>45046
That was Ogedei the second Khan and it was used as an excuse because Fortress Europa was too dense for Mongols. When Ghengis died, the conquests picked up where they left off, when Ogedei fied they conveniently let there European ambitions go
>>
>>45184
I suppose yeah, gotta know what you're fighting before you fight or you've already lost.

preparation is key, but even still, that doesn't always help
>>
File: pavisse_crossbowmen.jpg (221 KB, 1016x562) Image search: [Google]
pavisse_crossbowmen.jpg
221 KB, 1016x562
1. Shoot farther and harder than the archers. Pic related.

2. Aim for the horses. Also: use caltrops, ditches, stakes, and poison waterholes to take away freedom of movement. Trebuchets with fire would work too, perhaps, I'm not too sure how well trained the horses were.
>>
>>44940
Machine guns and artillery.
>>
File: z1610.jpg (57 KB, 319x326) Image search: [Google]
z1610.jpg
57 KB, 319x326
>>44940
You have to force them to fight in an undesirable environment. The absolute best place would be a dense forest by a river. Cavalry would not only have to be able to maneuver through the wet ground and the trees, but could be pressed in and condensed into tight formations between their opponent and the river, making them vulnerable and weak.

See, Bannockburn
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bannockburn
>>
I remember reading in Herodotus of how the Persians would use camel cavalry in their armies, because they spooked the enemy's horse cav and made them rear up and throw their riders off.
>>
>>45348
I don't think England had many horse archers so pic is kinda void.

Horse archers seem a challenge because they rarely would directly fight you.

I think the /thread is, make them fight you the way you want
>>
The ancient persians had developped anti horse archer tactics long before the mongols, they'd use archers and men carrying massive shields or pikes to pretty much render them useless
It was not so effective against fallanxes though
>>
>>45474
got any links? i'd love to read these
>>
>>45046
didn't the Parthians also have horse archers? Maybe that was the answer
>>
>>45437
Still, like I said, you'd have to force them into a situation. If you were holding a vital river crossing or the enemy simply didn't even know you were there, you could make them fight you.
>>
>>45503
I think they adopted something closer to cataphracts. Whatever horse archers they could muster it wouldn't come close to the sheer number of horse archers the nomads could get thanks to their steppes. Persia is too dry for it I believe.
>>
>>44940
Do not fight them in plains, make camp in semi-mountainous to mountainous terrain, horses are only GREAT on the steppes.
>>
>>45584
that makes sense actually

and to be honest I only associate the Parthians with horse archers because of the Battle of Carrhae when they rekt Crassus and the famous "Parthian shot", I don't know whether or not they constituted a large part of their army or not
>>
>>45739
>I don't know whether or not they constituted a large part of their army or not

Something like 80% of the Parthian army at Carrhae was horse archers
>>
>>45503
>>45584
>I think they adopted something closer to cataphracts
Half truth, because the Parthians still possessed tons of horse archers it's just that their armies were also composed of foot archers, heavy cataphracts, and infantry.
Horse archers still constituted a fair amount of Parthian forces, though these may have been composed of tributary people's forces.
>>45801
yes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Carrhae#Invasion_of_Parthia
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.