[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone interested in neoplatonic movement ? I've started
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: 1360186082463.jpg (69 KB, 569x681) Image search: [Google]
1360186082463.jpg
69 KB, 569x681
Anyone interested in neoplatonic movement ?

I've started reading Plotinus months ago and i find him very profound and intelligent.
>>
I'm reading him after Plato and Aristotle.
>>
>>448731
Yes, Plotinus has one of the best arguments I have read on what the infinite might be, given that it is more abstract and easier defined than most other attempts I have read on it.

His works use less loaded or emotive language when doing so, IMO a problem later introduced by monotheists and Gnostics, attempting to explain either a benevolent or malevolent focal point for created existence (Valentinian Gnostics being the exception).

His views on materialism do need to be handled with care, he could be argued as being anti-materialistic, when he saw the material world as a limited imitation of the divine or the infinite.
>>
>>448731
I am.
>>
best theodicy in the game to be pretty honest with you family
>>
Proclus is based
>>
>>448731
OK, let's do it!
>>
>Pleasure and distress, fear and courage, desire and aversion,where have these affections and experiences their seat?

>Clearly, either in the Soul alone, or in the Soul as employingthe body, or in some third entity deriving from both. And for this thirdentity, again, there are two possible modes: it might be either a blendor a distinct form due to the blending

What did he mean by this?
>>
fuck off, this is a Christian board.
>>
>>452912
But the Holy Trinity has roots in Plotinus
>>
>>452912
Kill yourself you stupid faggot

>le paganism never influenced Christianity maymay

Ignorant c uck
>>
>>452912
Christianity is Platonism with proper names.
>>
>>453007

Sorry I'm not a Cathocuck, accept Christ as Lord and move on from this ridiculous heresy.

I forgive you.
>>
>>453014
Tips Pope hat
>>
>>453014
>Being a Protestant
>2015
Literally the reason Europe is ceasing to be Christian
>>
>>453099
*tips mitre*

Go back to Rome, papist scum.
>>
>>453072
>>453099

Go be a pagan elsewhere whore. I will pray for you.
>>
>>453014
>Catholics can't believe in the Resurrection meme
When will this end?
>>
>>453103
>>453106
Eh, I'll keep being a Christian here, I think.
>>
>>453111

When you reject the Whore of Babylon and reject the precepts of the Church of SATAN on this earth, I pray for your deliverance.
>>
>>448731
Your nose has a cut, bro.
>>
>>453129
Which denominations emphasize this stuff so strongly? There's a level of hatred among Protestants toward Catholics that I really can't comprehend. Aren't Christians supposed to love one another? I ask again: if salvation is by faith alone, why can't Catholics who accept Christ as Savior be saved?
>>
>>453141
Because the more you learn of Church history, the more you realize the true identity of the Papacy.

The Bible makes it very clear there would be a false antichrist church that practices the ancient mystery religion of Babylon.
>>
>>453141

catholics aren't christians
>>
>>453152
Now we're talking. Could you make a historical argument about this, since you claim it's obvious once you look into things a little bit?
>>
>>453168
And then there's this meme, which makes even less sense. Christianity is the worship of Christ. It entails Salvation when it is done properly. I admit that not all Catholics believe in Christ, but we all worship Him. I really don't see why people believe what you're saying. It just seems to involve another level of mental gymnastics than most theologies do.
>>
File: 1432746675395.jpg (66 KB, 848x477) Image search: [Google]
1432746675395.jpg
66 KB, 848x477
>>453176
> I admit that not all Catholics believe in Christ, but we all worship Him.

You worship something that you don't believe exists? I swear Catholicism has to be the retard central of Christianity.
>>
>>453184
When you're raised in a Catholic household and go to Mass every Sunday even before you're capable of believing for yourself, it's almost impossible not to participate in the ceremonies associated with worship. The Catholic Church's theology and worship is entirely centered around the Trinity.
>>
Pleb: Protestantism
Normie: Catholicism
Patrician: Orthodox
>>
>>453210
>not Pseudo-Dionysian
>>
File: plotinian-hierarchy.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1083) Image search: [Google]
plotinian-hierarchy.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1083
Is that right ?
>>
>>453218
That isn't a denomination.
>>
Yet another thread derailed by pseudo-christian trolls. Don't feed the trolls, you stupid fucks. This thread would have been one of the few threads worth a damn yet you dumbasses ruined it. This board quickly devolved into yet another gigantic piece of shit. What a shame. Stupid asswipes.
>>
>>453231
Looks good to me
>>
>>448731
Plotinus' Enneads is a great read. Would recommend to anyone wanting to get into Neoplatonism.

Also, all Christian shitposters should be purged.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.