[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Today I had my Latin American history final, went all the way
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
Today I had my Latin American history final, went all the way from Columbus voyage up until the Falklands War, it was more focused on the southern cone but also focused heavily on american interventions in central america.

Anyone would like to discuss a topic?
>>
Are US interventions in Latin America a form of Imperialism?
>>
>>445711

Most were but there were other interests at play many times. For example you have the Venezuelan Blockade of 1903 which led to the Roosevelt Corollary of 1904.

Since the Monroe Doctrine in 1823 the US mantained the position that european interference in the Americas could lead to a new wave of colonialism and the US couldn't accept that. By the late 18th century though there were extensive european investment in Latin America. When Venezuela refused to pay a large loan to Britain, Germany and Italy in 1902, these countries sent their navy and blocked the Venezuelan ports. America then entered as mediator and the europeans accepter to lift the blockade with the american promise that Venezuela would pay back the loans.

This led Roosevelt to realize that many latin american countries contracting debt they could not pay later could endanger the whole continent security.

After the Roosevelt Corollary of 1904 America decided that they will intervene in the finances of latin american countries to avoid them getting loans they couldn't repay, so no european navies had a reason to put the continent's security at risk.
>>
Thoughts/anecdotes on the Mexican-American and Spanish-American Conflicts?
>>
File: gt3htyn5y6.jpg (44 KB, 695x612) Image search: [Google]
gt3htyn5y6.jpg
44 KB, 695x612
>tfw no Amerifat intervention in you are country

Faglords
>>
>>445809
American policy towards Cuba during the 19th century was very interesting. You know Cuba was the last Spanish colony in the Americas, so with the whole Monroe Doctrine you would think they wanted to kick Spain out, well not really.

Don't get me wrong, America did wanted to annex Cuba, especially after the Florida purchase in 1819, but until they could actually control Cuba they rather it be a spanish colony and not an independent country.

So you have many independence movements in Cuba during the 19th century, and America's reaction could been considered ambiguous at best.
>>
Why is Costa Rica less shitty than its neighbors?
>>
>>445969
- During the colonial time and decades after it independence from Spain Costa Rica was the poorest territory in America. Everybody was poor Criollos, Natives, Blacks, Spaniards and so on. Because of this and the lack of implementation of the Caste System Costa Rica has a culturally homogeneous and racially equal society. When the country started to develop in terms of economy it was a slow process but everybody took part of it. Rich Costa Ricans were not even close to their Latin American pairs and the wasnt a rough treatment of the lower classes.

- Because of many different reasons Costa Rica has health care and public education since the first half of the 19th century, two things their neighbours dont even have today available for most of their population.

- Most importantly, lack of wars and violent conflicts. Costa Rica is the exception in Latin America when we talk about wars, military interventions, political coups and so. This helped to created a politically stable society. They only had a civil war that ended with the abolishment of their army and democratic reforms that made them one of the few real democracies in the world.

Is interesting how Costa Rica being one of the Latin American countries with more >White population only had three White presidents in their history while countries with extremely small White minorities where ruled by this White elite until recently. Some would say that investing a lot in education and development has helped them, also, being really neutral during the Cold war avoided the intervention of USA and the USSR.

Basically, Costa Rica has avoided what made Latin America a very unstable region, being isolated from its northern neighbours since always has helped too.
>>
Tell me about the Japanese in Brazil and Peru
>>
>>446182

This must be why Chile is more developed than Argentina despite having more mutts.
>>
>american interventions in central america
How many presidents did the CIA overthrew?
I only know about Jacobo Árbenz in Guatemala
>>
File: Pedro II of Brazil.jpg (59 KB, 450x599) Image search: [Google]
Pedro II of Brazil.jpg
59 KB, 450x599
What could you tell me about this magnificent bastard, OP?
>>
What country in South America do you think had the most wasted potential?
>>
>>447995
México and Brasil.
>>
>>449212

Mexico is North American though.
>>
>>449226
You cant ignore it tho, literally the biggest wasted potential
>>
>>446359
Salvador Allende too. Not Latin America but the Shah of Iran.
>>
Did Giuseppe Garibaldi really have any noticeable influence on latin/south america? Short or long term?
>>
Honduran here. The US has defend us against communist through the entire 20th century. They did nothing wrong.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.