[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of Ken Burns Civil War?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Civil_war.jpg (29 KB, 325x448) Image search: [Google]
Civil_war.jpg
29 KB, 325x448
Personally, i love the shit out of it, but I'm a Yankee.

It's possibly the comfiest history documentary of all time, from the music, to the smooth timbre of Shelby Foote's voice.

But i hear some Southerners don't like it. Also how can the south be proud of the war when men from places like Connecticut, New Jersey or Delaware BTFO'd Texas or Alabama.

What do you think /his/? The Civil War, Yankee propaganda or the truth?
>>
really enjoying it and im not even a civil war buff
>>
>>445662
the Ken Burns documentaries on Prohibition and the Shakers are also really good.
>>
File: 1449296277514.jpg (1 MB, 1815x3000) Image search: [Google]
1449296277514.jpg
1 MB, 1815x3000
>>445612
It's alright

I basically ignore anything that one black woman says. Shelby Foote is fucking gold.

The film tends to portray Northerners as being justified, and it tends to portray the South in a somewhat harsh light, but it does attempt to be fair to both sides.

Personally I just recommend Foote's Civil War to people though, it's basically a book form of the documentary with more objectivity and detail.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
I'm from the South and I loved it. Pic related. My favorite books on my book shelf, so special they get their own section. 1st edition, 1st printing of each.
>>
>>445841
Is it customary southerner behavior to keep their books upside down like that? You southerners get damn near everything backwards!
>>
>>445841
I have those books on my list to buy. From what I gather, he focuses more on the military aspect of the war. Does he also touch upon the politics/social issues? If he doesn't, what non meme books do you recommend? I live in Pennsyltucky and I'd like to know for myself whether it was over slavery or not. Everyone talks about the war as if they're an expert.
>>
>>445915

We can't figure out these fancy fucking iPhones.

>>445917

He touches on both quite well; more so military. From the very beginning you're reading about the political atmosphere of the years leading up to the War and then you're right into the war. You learn the backgrounds of the big names, you learn everything you could imagine about each campaign, you learn about the various dealings of each respective government, it truly is a narrative.

I love how he devotes time to each theatre of war. I live in northwest Georgia so a good number of the battles between Sherman and Johnston took place nearby. They're covered. From small skirmishes like Resaca to larger ones like Kennesaw Mountain and Chickamauga.

But to answer your last question, if you're looking for something purely political/social grab For Cause and Comrades or Battle Cry for Freedom by James McPherson. If you want to go even further back read What Hath God Wrought.
>>
>>445612
Sentimental as sin.
>>
>>445841
Jelly/10
>>
>>445964
Thank you for the reply, anon. I'll start with this series and check out the others you recommended if I feel I need to know more.
>>
Non-American here, great documentary.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.