[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's say hypothetically its a couple thousand-something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 12
File: 777bc.png (610 KB, 471x596) Image search: [Google]
777bc.png
610 KB, 471x596
Let's say hypothetically its a couple thousand-something years ago, you are in a market place, and you come upon a slave merchant.

Would you buy a slave? be honest.
Reminder you'd be in a society that has no social issue with slavery.
>>
>>444940
Yeah because I'd be raised in an environment where this is the norm.
This thread is pointless.
>>
>>444940
Depends on my needs.

Anyone who says absolutely not is assuming their morality would be the exact same across time and space.
>>
>>444940
oh course....shit I'd do it a couple hundred-something years ago.
>>
If I had enough money, I'd be doing it now.
>>
Fuck no. I don't want to be responsible for providing for and ordering about some resentful foreigner.
>>
>>444943
>>444949
Well lets say you had your same sort of outlook on life, the op is assuming you are the same person and not someone completely different, but you lived in a society which it was acceptable to purchase slaves with no societal repercussions.
>>
>>444943
/thread
>>
>>444940
How did people not get paranoid about their slaves killing them in their sleep?
>>
File: 1450662800470.gif (975 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1450662800470.gif
975 KB, 400x225
>>444943
>>
FREEDOM IS THE RIGHT OF ALL SENTIENT BEINGS

So I'd turn into a bald eagle and kill all the slavers before getting grateful hero sex
>>
>>look I'm going to feed to, cloth you, and keep a roof over your head...but if you fuck me I'm nailing you to a tree.
a mixture of practical decency and practical brutality.
>>
>>444957
why wouldn't you? cost and need aside that is.
>>
>>444971
Thats the way ive always seen ancient slavery to be, most of those slaves were thankful to have a place to stay, and have relatively decent food.
>>
Of course. Why wouldn't I ? I wouldn't treat them well, maybe get a few intelligent Greek or Syrian slaves, a few qt3.14 from all over the empire, some strong Gallic or Germanic slaves for farmwork, etc.

>>444965
Because slaves were not treated that badly, and could reasonably hope that they could buy or get their freedom in a few years. At least in Rome, I don't know much about slavery in other civilisations.
>>
>>444993
as long as they weren't mine or galley slaves yeah....
>>
>>445011
>>maybe get a few intelligent Greek or Syrian slaves, a few qt3.14 from all over the empire, some strong Gallic or Germanic slaves for farmwork, etc.
>syrian slaves
>intelligent
Darker skinned slaves are better for manual work in the sun.
Save the German, Gallic slaves for the bedroom.
>>
>>444940

id buy one now silly
>>
I just realized how fucking easy it was to start a business back then.
>buy couple slaves
>get a loan or rent space in the market
>set up bartering shop full of crap
>use slaves as employees / help
hell, they could even make things for you to trade if they were skilled at making baskets or something.
>>
>>444940
Ofcourse I would, a cute girl around my age so that she can lighten the housekeeping pressure of my mom.
>>
File: 1393025738679.jpg (35 KB, 283x425) Image search: [Google]
1393025738679.jpg
35 KB, 283x425
>Daydreaming about owning slaves

ITT: Degeneracy and slothfulness
>>
>>445064
Don't you have some work to do?
>>
>>444965

Because the consequences for doing that were horrible in a way we can't really imagine these days

It was not uncommon for an entire household of slaves to be executed if one of them killed the master. So they tended to police themselves because they didn't want to be butchered because one of them didn't know their place.

They also tended to be creative in how they killed slaves guilty of this kind of crime. You were going to wish death was the worst of it.
>>
File: 1345623175857.jpg (131 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1345623175857.jpg
131 KB, 1000x1000
>>444940
Well, if I had the money, of course I would, it's the only scenario I can think of how I could possibly get a cute gf.
>>
>>445047
I just realized how fucking easy it is to start a business

>get a loan or rent space in a mall
>set up bartering shop full of crap
>hire a couple of employees
>>
>>445091
>>hire a couple of employees
>hire
>have to pay employees
>>
>>445091
Do it
>>
>>445088
How would you guarantee she wasnt soiled by slavers? you know they have first pick of the qt-pies
>>
>>444965
Life wasn't hell for an average roman slave. Save miners and plantations, it's not commendable, but it wasn't especially harsh compared with other places. Also, laws regarding slave uprisings were very harsh. As in, if one slave killed his master, the entire household of slaves could be crucified or killed in other creative ways. Better to just run away.
>>
>>445104
I'm sure there'd be slavers who specialize in high quality products for high status customers and let you even take a look at the hymen before your purchase, as long as you're willing to pay up for it. It's only a question of money.
>>
Only for anal sex but yes
>>
>>445119
I guess, but you're looking at tossing quite a lot of shekels for that.
>>
>>445136
OP asked if I would do it, no mention regarding restrictions on my budget, so there's his answer.
>>
File: NICE.gif (903 KB, 400x264) Image search: [Google]
NICE.gif
903 KB, 400x264
>>445129
>>
>>445100
Yeah forgot slaves were free, I'm sorry.
>>
>>445104
not the respectable firms....
>>
>>444940
>Would you buy a slave? be honest.
Depends on. Do I have the cash to spare? Are there any sexies for sale? Do I need somebody to mow my lawn? Do I have a cotton field that needs care? Are there any Asian chefs for sale?
>>
>>444940
It depends. If I were rich? Very likely. But for what?

Normally to hire someone would be much cheaper, and with better results. Well, perhaps a concubine...
>>
>>445257
>perhaps a concubine...
And an Asian chef, imagine cuddling with your concubine and eat some delicious dim sum. Maybe you could also buy a Mexican for looking after the garden and do the grocery shopping.
>>
Yes, even if I had the knowledge of contemporary political correctness
>>
File: 1344790119798.jpg (10 KB, 366x349) Image search: [Google]
1344790119798.jpg
10 KB, 366x349
Yeah I think I'd own at least one. I'd treat them alright though. No sense in being cruel or unreasonable.
>>
I would comfort my slave and let her sleep on my bed.In the morning I would have her eat a good ol breakfast of a bowl of egg.
>>
I might. Probably would do something along the lines of buy the slave, have them work to pay off whatever it took to buy them and cover their basic needs, then free them after that has been earned without interest. Create a descent pathway for people to get out of slavery that's sustainable at the individual level.
>>
>>445414
EAT ALL THE EGGS
>>
>>444940
>Let's say hypothetically
>>>/aco/
>>
No, I would be poor.
>>
>>445064
>>
>>444940
Time to kill some slaving heathens.
>>
I tend to think my relationship with my slave would be like that of Marcus and Grumio. We'd be bros.
>>
If I had the money and the need for a slave why wouldn't I buy one? I'm not really seeing what the point of this thread is.
>>
>>446053
The question is basically, if there were no social repercussions for doing so, would you own slaves? In other words would your lofty anti-slavery ideals hold up in a society that had no problem with it. That is if you have those ideals in the first place.
>>
Good thing you censored that painting or I might have been offended.
>>
>>446067
>anti-slavery ideals
What ideals are those exactly? What exactly is this problem with slavery you think I have? As long as you're using me as a strawman for whatever circuitous argument you're trying to make here, you could at least cut the shit and tell me what you're getting at.

If it turns out to be some kind of lame "Gotcha! You really don't care about slavery!" thing then you're gonna be really disappointed in about 5 minutes.
>>
>>444940
Depending on the money. But yes, I'd buy a slave.
I'll try to treat her right, like a modern maid or something.
>>
If I had the need I guess so.
Morality was different then, Society was different then. If I didn't buy a slave, someone else would.
>>
>>444940
If i had the money and need, sure.
>>
I can barely feed myself, why the hell would I pay another person to give me another mouth to feed?
>>
>>444940
As a sexually desperate loner I'm going to take advantage of the fact that humans were sold for their labour in the past as an excuse to make a thread about me buying women to fuck.
>>
>>446083
I'm not the OP. I'm just rephrasing his question. If you notice I mentioned that I know not everybody is actually going to agree that slavery is necessarily this great moral evil.

I think we can agree that it's pretty unanimous in the developed world that slavery is wrong. OP's question was simply if the residents of /his/ would own slaves if they didn't live in a society that condemned it. I'm not accusing you of anything.
>>
>>444940
Do I have my memories?
>>
>>444940

Why would you take it upon yourself to digitally deface a work of art?

And yeah I probably would if I could support her financially desu. Frankly, I'm not even sure it's wrong anymore.
>>
>>446160
Probably didn't want to risk getting his thread deleted. I don't know how insane the mods are over "work-safe".
>>
>>445264
I don't think anyone even knew what mexicans were back then.
>>
As long as you treat the slave well and don't fuckin beat them for no reason I don't see it as something bad.Promised them for their freedom if they work hard enough for a specific goals and you have a motivated slave.

I find OP intention of making people think it's guilty to own a slave is very weird.If we live in a society like that,we wouldn't mind owning a slave or two.Just don't hurt them and you're good to go.
>>
>>445100

You realize you need to house and feed slaves after the transfer payment, right? All of this assumes your slave is actually an efficient laborer.

Hell, it might even be a better deal to just hire someone.
>>
>>446165

I would be more insane over poor censorship.

besides there were a couple "lets fap to art nudes" threads when the board first popped up.
>>
>>446204
in Greece it's said that everyone have at least one slave and even the poorest citizen have it.I don't think food is that hard to find compared to these days.

You don't need to have a college degree or any qualification to survive in those times.We just make ourself worse tbqh
>>
where my slaves at?
>>
>>446238
>citizen

Well which Greek city state? Cause it's my impression that most people living in those cities actually weren't citizens proper, as you actually had to earn citizenship back then by furnishing equipment and going to war for the city to be considered one.
>>
>>446243
Fapping like the fist of Zeus.
Still [spoiler]The scroll was better.[/spoiler]
>>
>>446245
Citizenship usually meant being a land-owning man in Greece. Or in the case of Sparta, you had to be a Spartan.
>>
>>446255

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_citizenship#Ancient_Greece

>The Greek sense of citizenship may have arisen from military necessity, since a key military formation demanded cohesion and commitment by each particular soldier.
>... This technique (phalanx) called for large numbers of soldiers, sometimes involving most of the adult male population of a city-state, who supplied weapons at their own expense.[9] The idea of citizenship, then, was that if each man had a say in whether the entire city-state should fight an adversary, and if each man was bound to the will of the group, then battlefield loyalty was much more likely.[9] Political participation was thus linked with military effectiveness.
>>
>>445064
>2015
>still being a gormless flibbertigibbet
>>
>>444940
today? no.
a few hundreds years ago? probably if i had the money since it was the norm and slaves weren't considered people but tools that were sparred to be destroyed in case they were prisioners/captives of war or inferior~sub-humans that was ok to use since they didn't have feelings like the real humans
>>
>>444940
I'm okay with having slaves today. Nothing not even freedom is a garunteed right and if I have a need that slaves fill I don't see any problem with it.
>>
Am I raised in said elitist society? Or am I transported there magically from the 21st century. If I was raised in a culture that found slavery perfectly acceptable, then yes I would most likely buy the aforementioned slave. If, however, I still retain my modern egalitarian morals, I wouldn't.
>>
>>445064
Why are you posting on 4chan instead of making a table or something? Fucking degenerate sloth.
>>
>>444940
>Would you buy a slave? be honest

If I could aford one, sure.
I can't see myself treating them badly unless they're lazy as fuck, but from what little I've read the work of a slave in ancient times wasn't that much different from that of a serf

>>445100
And you have to purchase a slave from a slave dealer then feed them and keep them healthy enough to work well
>>
File: waifu.jpg (54 KB, 500x627) Image search: [Google]
waifu.jpg
54 KB, 500x627
>tfw will never sexually and emotionally abuse your serfs/slaves with your waifu
>tfw will never break the will of peasant girls and boys
>tfw had to go to a third world shithole and pay to treat someone as property
>>
File: Concured.png (170 KB, 338x340) Image search: [Google]
Concured.png
170 KB, 338x340
>>444940
I could do with a slave cleaning my house by day, cooking me dinner in the evening, and warning my bed at night.

Who ever doesn't feel the same way I do is probably a low test homosexual.
>>
I was wondering something /his/.
In te ottoman empire was it common for people outside the palace to own slaves like for housekeeping gardening etc or was it only something reserved for the royal family ?
>>
>>444940
yes, why wouldn't I?
You are aware you are not on facebook, right?
>>
>>447101
The rich families owned negro slaves (permanent maids more like, but anyway). Richer families had concubines too. This is for the dissolution period, I don't know before that, but it was probably even rarer because there wasn't a wealthy class outside the palace during the rise&expansion period.
>>
>>447171
But there were merchants during the expansion and golden age couldn't they have bought slaves for themselves ?
>>
>>447204
The Ottoman merchants never got so rich (except the exceptions). They had one or two servants probably, but I don't think they had ownership in theory.
Also, in academy there is no "golden" age for Ottomans, only birth, rise&expansion, stagnation and dissolution.
>>
I'd treat them decently and grant their freedom after 10 years of service, if they are incapable of doing a proper labor I'd resell them immediatley, corporal punishment is unecessary, and given that I would treat them with care, the other slaves would quickly catch up that being efficient and hard working under a household with proper care, nutrition and shelter, is far better than the scary prospect of uncertainty.
I'd basically ran my slaves as if I ran a modern business.

Contrary to some degenerates, I wouldn't take sexual advantage of slaves, they'd be workers, not some human fuck toy.
>>
>>444940
Since I am middle class (debt slave) I could not afford to do so. Then again, if our debt economy allowed slavery, I could probably rent to own, or buy one for a 20 year loan at 3.785% APR.
>>
Source on the OP pic?
>>
>>444940
If I'm rich and I have a household to maintain, then yeah certainly. Hell, if I can be reasonably sure that it won't just abscond at the first chance it gets, I might even want one as a personal valet if I'm just middle class.
>>
If you abduct someone you saw and force someone to buy them.Is it wrong in those days? I always imagine if people back then would do a "Twelves Years a Slave" thing on their neighbourhood and bring he/she far away to sell.
>>
probably not because i hate when people do things that i can do
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.