[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Scots Celtic or Germanic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: images (2).jpg (27 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
27 KB, 470x313
The Scots language is actually a variation of Old English, which makes the language Germanic in nature. Parts of Scotland also spoke Scottish Gaelic which is a Celtic language, but they are isolated hill people. So what are the Scottish people? GERMANIC or CELTIC ?
>>
>>444853
Celtic. Scots exists because Anglo-Saxons ruled over southern Scotland for a while, thus the existing Scottish population likewise adopted the language. As such things tend to go, it eventually drifted enough to be considered its own language.

Just a simple case of acculturation. The British have a pretty extensive history of that sort of thing.
>>
>>444853
Celts whos speak a Germanic influenced language due to prolonged exposure and interbreeding with the Germanics living to the south. The Irish were ethnically very similar but linguistically retained their Celtic roots because they were separated by the Irish Sea
>>
>>444853
Not even remotely true. Scottish Gaelic is most closely related to q-Celtic languages such as Irish and Manx. It's not even in the same sub family. English is a North Germanic language.
>>
>>444872
>English is a North Germanic language.
>>
>>444868
Western and Northern Ireland are like the Lowlands with % Anglo-Saxon influence and acculturation
>>
>>444881
meant to say Eastern Ireland JUST FUCK MY SHIT UP
>>
>>444872
>English
>North Germanic
HAHAHAHA
>>
Friendly bethinker that Anglish is sheerly a Dutch tung with nary a hint of Latin sway whatsoever.
>>
>>444853
Isn't English based on Latin.......
>>
There are Northern German dialects that almost completely cover the basic English language patterns.
>>
>>444872
English is welsh Germanic btw.

But yeah originally the inhabitants of modern day Scotland spoke a Brittonic language (closer to Welsh and Cornish than to Irish) that we today call Pictish. At some point before the 10th Century a bunch of Gaels from Ireland and western Scotland invaded and became the Scots. They spoke what is now the Scottish Gaelic language.

After years and years of English dominance of Scotland, the language of the aristocracy had profound effects on the Gaelic speaking population, creating the anglo-Scottish or "Scots" language that is spoken today in the majority of scotland.
>>
>>445198
West-Germanic, sorry had my mind elsewhere. Old English was from the Anglo-Frisian group which was almost mutually intelligible, it then split into the two very distinct languages of Middle English in England and Dutch in the Netherlands.
>>
>>445075
fuck no
what?

only in the sense that they're both PIE languages but that still wouldn't make sense
>>
>it has many latin words, but other than its lexicon it is West-Germanic in every form.

It is a Germanic language with Latin influence, whereas French is a Latin language with Germanic influence.
>>
>>445224
>>445075
mean to quote this.
>>
>>444853
Pictish peoples and decedents thereof would be celtic.

English, of course, is a bastardization of western germanic languages (such as Frisian). English has been the dominant language of the Isles for ages.
>>
>>445075
No. Just listen to the way it sounds compared to Latin based languages like modern French, Spanish and Italian. Its much harsher and closer modern German or Dutch. It has a ton of Latin influences (from the all the French kings that ruled England) but is still clearly a Germanic language.
>>
>>445075
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfaEGU45lKA

Does this sound Latin to you?
>>
Scots were originally a mix of celts and picts, but modern scots are mixed with Anglos and Norsemen.
>>
File: interesting.jpg (21 KB, 231x346) Image search: [Google]
interesting.jpg
21 KB, 231x346
>>445788
>>
>>445704
>harsher
the hell does that even mean
>>
>>445793
Vowels pronounced lower in the mouth, lots of constant clusters and hard consonants in general.

Modern English is markedly less "harsh" due to Latin influence and also the Great Vowel Shift that essentially moved our pronunciation "upward".
>>
Remember that when you compare English to Dutch (or the other Germanic languages) you should be thinking more in terms of the harsher, rural accents from bumfuck parts of England, and not a posh Southern or an American accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeC1yAaWG34

This fellow speaks Frisian (not Dutch) which is the closest linguistic relative to English, and to my ears, drifts in and out of sounding like an English farmer at some points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRfodZPL57A

These folks (also Frisian-speakers) initially sound almost like Slavs, but the more I listen to it, they start to sound kind of like rural Britons with extremely thick accents.
>>
>>446108
Great post.
>>
>>444853
A mix of both I think. The further North you go, the more Celtic it gets.
>>
>>446108

Oh Eddie

thanks for this
>>
>>444853
germanic when they want to be british, celtic when they want to be independent. same kind of thing happens in russia.
>>
>>445823
this is a misunderstanding of technical terminology used in phonology.
>>
>>446108
That Izzard video is really fucking cool
>>
>>444853
>So what are the Scottish people? GERMANIC or CELTIC ?

I don't know enough aout the Language, but I'm pretty convinced that the Scotish, much like the Irish, are celtic people, since the Anglos and Saxons didn't take over those lands on masse; I think the Welsh are too but I'm not sure.
Of course, some interbreeding might have gone on, but not nearly on the same scale as in England
>>
>>446108
check out the clip at 5m
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8LxRfdLrlU&t=5m
>>
>>445788
>Scots were originally a mix of celts and picts

I thought that worked in a "All picts are Celts but not all Celts are Picts" sort of way. I might be wrong but I belived people like the Picts, Britons, and Gaels were just different Celt groups
>>
>>446436
Yeah they were the names of tribes within the Celtic cultural group
>>
>>445777

>old english is modern english

lolol
>>
Can we get an entire chan with only Lowland Scots posts?

That would be fantastic.
>>
>>444853
addicted to opiates
>>
File: 1450241640937.png (34 KB, 176x187) Image search: [Google]
1450241640937.png
34 KB, 176x187
I'm looking for a book, or just a good source, on Scottish history. Could anyone give me some recommendations?
>>
>>446434
oh wow. at first he sounds like Cajun French (well, kinda) but when he starts getting expressive, the sounds he makes are like a cockney or something
>>
>>444853
Scotland was a mixed Kingdom made of different tribes. The Picts occupied the North, the South East was Angles, the South West was Strathclyde Britons, and the West Coast was Gaels who migrated from Ireland. Later, some Norse Vikings settled in the West.
>>
>>446108
That is bullshit, the words that are most similar are all related to trade.
>>
>>448376
What are you trying to say
>>
>>448394
Dutch sounds about as British as Chinese does.
>>
Being described as an isolated hill person on 4chan is an odd feeling.

Scottish Gaelic is a Celtic language, but with a lot of Norse influences, especially in the Island dialects.
>>
>>444853
Most are Germanic, some are Celtic speakers, who speak Gaelic, not Brythonic (Paleo-Scottish/English, for you idiots).
>>
They are both. Highlands celtic, lowlands germania with much I'd the islands or the northeast being (originally) Scandinavian. Scots was spoken btly lowlands and galic by those in the north.

Today the strongest accents are from the towns and central belt. Highlanders speak quite clear English with minimal colloquialisms as they have been speaking it for a shorter period of time.

Scotland is a monger nation. Crap films like your pic ignore that fact and give inaccurate visions of a 100 % celtic nation.
>>
File: 2652427923_8561a7fea4_o.jpg (347 KB, 842x1152) Image search: [Google]
2652427923_8561a7fea4_o.jpg
347 KB, 842x1152
both
>>
File: 481619408_defde005c9_o.jpg (372 KB, 864x1024) Image search: [Google]
481619408_defde005c9_o.jpg
372 KB, 864x1024
>>452800
>>
>>446436
No you're right
>>
>>446732
he said "based on", ya dingus. learn basic reading comprehension.
>>
>>446436
he meant norse-gaels when he said celts
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.