[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Hell exist? I mean if we were created by a loving God
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: 3H.jpg (581 KB, 770x595) Image search: [Google]
3H.jpg
581 KB, 770x595
Why does Hell exist?

I mean if we were created by a loving God and for making a mistake we are condemned to an eternity of torture then what the actual fuck.

Note: Christians can't claim there isn't a Hell because according to the Apostle's Creed and Christian tradition Jesus actually went there to free souls, and Muslims can't claim there isn't a Hell either because the Quran is full of vivid descriptions of it.
>>
http://www.compellingtruth.org/

You'll find all your answers here.
>>
>>442803
*nihilistic post that discards everything said in the op*
>>
>>442803
Because then where will the people that bullied Christians go?
>>
Sin against an eternal God requires eternal punishment.

He is the perfect judge.
He is righteous and merciful.

Hell is not so much about the flames or torment, it's separation from God. It's what you choose for.
>>
especiall funny if you consider that god can see the future, so he knew before creation that this was going to happen and he still chose to make us this way.

ergo, god made us to torture us. he totes loves u tho
>>
Hell is other people.

Seriously though, hell is just what people create when they don't follow the teachings of Jesus.
>>
Hell would only make sense if you chose it with the full knowledge of God and the consequences of abandoning him

ergo if you just go to hell automatically when you die then God is the essence of malice

But the most just system would be everyone going to purgatory and confronting their deeds until they're ready to be goodies and all that shit
>>
>>442818
This
>>443023
>Hell would only make sense if you chose it with the full knowledge of God and the consequences of abandoning him
>ergo if you just go to hell automatically when you die then God is the essence of malice
>But the most just system would be everyone going to purgatory and confronting their deeds until they're ready to be goodies and all that shit
Isent that the Muslim version of hell? I Fucking hate islam but at least their version of hell logically follows with the rest of the Abrahamic religions
>>
>>442803
hell =/= the abyss
heaven =/= paradise

I'll give you the simple version.

Heaven - you go there after the world ends if you were a Christian, currently no humans there afawk. A timeless place of pure bliss, not much is known about it.
Paradise/New Earth - you go there after you die if you were a Christian. A place of freedom, joy and happiness, possibly physical.
The Abyss - all dead go here, you go there if you weren't a christian but didn't have a chance or stuff like this, you get a second chance to get into heaven, that's why Jesus went there in the first place. A gloomy place, possibly physical.
Hell - currently empty, wicked people who wilfully rejected God and fallen angels are locked here while all the other people go to heaven. A timeless place of great suffering, but not necessarily fire.

>inb4 wutz a abyss pastor Jones never mentioned this
Read the bible with translator notes and commentary.
>>
Judaism/noahidism doesn't have hell
>>
>>442818
Except this is ridiculous if you look at Christian laws. Murder, in Christianity, requires the death sentence. Sin against a transient being requires eternal punishment. Meanwhile, you can sin against God, an eternal being, and still receive transient punishment, so long as you believe in Him.
>>
File: pelagius1[1].jpg (56 KB, 413x413) Image search: [Google]
pelagius1[1].jpg
56 KB, 413x413
What happens to the souls of the unbaptized?
>>
>>442803
Hell is death as described by atheists. It is literally mentioned in the Bible that going to Hell = actual death, and Heaven = Never truly dead, but living forever
>>
Hell isn't really eternal, it's a "second death" that destroys the soul after the body is already destroyed.
>>
What should God do with people who do not love Him and who do not wish to be in His presence for eternity? Force them to love Him and be in His presence? If He does this, then He infringes upon human agency and free will - this is not an act of love. Therefore there must be some other place where those who wish to be divorced from God may be so, and it is a place they willingly choose for themselves.

God always knows what's best for us, but because He loves us He doesn't force us to do what's best. He compels us to do so, namely through Christ, but ultimately we decide for ourselves whether we will go to heaven or hell.
>>
>>446074
They die until they are dead.
>>
In Orthodox Christianity, hell is not a place. It isn't separation from God, like in Catholicism either. It is, just like heaven, being in God's presence. The difference is that the fire and the light of God's love is agony, because one is ashamed or hates God.
>>
>>443164
Sort of, I've seen Muslims argue that there is no eternal punishment. Just that sins during your life have to be made up for in hell. Believing and repentant Muslims that try to lead a good life will get very little or no time. While heathens like me and you will be there for ages.

And of course there are Muslims who think it's eternal. One thing to note is that I've never seen a Muslim have more esoteric ideas of hell like it's a separation from god or despair in his presence after a lifetime of rejecting him. It's very much a physical place that god sends you where you drink fire and get raped by demons.
>>
>>446088
So why then, after I'm dead, can I not change my mind? If hell is truly just being without god once you arrive in eternity any halfwit would realize that he'd be better off repenting. Why couldn't god forgive me once I'm fully aware that he exists?
>>
>>446127
Who knows whether you can or cannot? It may be that you are given one final chance after death to repent of your sins and take your rightful place in the divine order. "With God everything is possible."
>>
it doesn't matter what YOU think.

God is the creator of all Good AND all Evil.

How dare you try to question a being of unimaginable power. Our purpose is to love and obey him no matter what he says or does.

The worlds smartest atheist means no more to God than the worlds smartest bacterium.
>>
File: buddha.jpg (593 KB, 2556x1767) Image search: [Google]
buddha.jpg
593 KB, 2556x1767
>>442803
>Hell
Hell is allegory for separation from God through sinful actions and thoughts. Therefore, one puts themselves in such a state when they refuse to follow God. Heaven, on the other hand, is when one lives in charity, kindness, humility, and overall piety.

Think of Heaven as Nirvana for Buddhists. By suppressing worldly, hedonistic desires and striving to help others, one acquires enlightenment. Christianity and Buddhism see the world as the same way: a place riddled with unfulfilling temptations and hedonistic desires. Think of Hell as completely giving in to these temptations and desires without end.

I am by no means a Buddhist, but Gautama was truly a sage.
>>
>>446132
Maybe it's because I went to some typical American Catholic school but it was made very clear to me that if I didn't believe in God before I died I was going straight to the pit of damnation. That seems to be the view of most churches. But hey maybe he'll cut me some slack I guess.
>>
>>446127
I posted
>>446116

Hell isn't being without God, quite the opposite.

You are going to be stuck in that state until judgement day and "the reconciliation of all things". Afterward, you might be reconciled to God, but the choice will still have to lie with you.

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Apocatastasis
>>
>>443981
>Murder, in Christianity, requires the death sentence.
Lol okay
>Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy.
>>
>>446152
That is, to say all will be reconciled is heresy in Orthodoxy (because even if they can be, they might choose not to, it's still a choice--Satan, for instance, seems to be quite stubborn). To say you hope they will be is okay, and to say they can be is okay as well though not dogma. But it still requires them to choose to be saved, and they might just not want anything to do with God, they might still blame him for all suffering and so on.
>>
>>446159
>That is, to say all will be reconciled is heresy in Orthodoxy (because even if they can be, they might choose not to, it's still a choice--Satan, for instance, seems to be quite stubborn).
There is the argument that no one's stubbornness can outlast God's patience.
>>
>>446175
Yes, Dostoevsky has a story about that in The Brothers Karamazov. Still, to say everyone will come back for sure is heresy, because it marginalizes the existential nature of Christianity and neutralizes free will.
>>
>>443846
In Jewish Rabbinic literature, and Christian and Islamic scripture, Gehenna is a destination of the wicked.[2] This is different from the more neutral Sheol/Hades, the abode of the dead, although the King James Version of the Bible usually translates both with the Anglo-Saxon word Hell.
>>
>>446181
I really got to read that, don't I?
>>
>>446198
You really got to read Dostoevsky in general, dude. Top notch writer.
>>
>>446074
They go to Purgatory, which is a lot like Wisconsin.
>>
>>446184
There's a lot of different opinions on this, I should've clarified.
>>
>>446184
>>447823
Im just basing this something I read off if a hasidic convert's letter to a rebbe saying why he wanted to convert.
>>
>>446181
I don't understand how we could have free will with there being an omnipotent creator.
It would quite literally, by the nature of being omnipotent and creating all things, know from your creation all choices you will make.
Effective nullification of all choices you make being your own.
And of course, by that logic, you arrive at God is literally creating you to be punished for all eternity, or rewarded, or whatever.
>>
>>442803
Because you cannot be destroyed, It's like how God created us. To be eternal regardless of what happens, eternal in his image.

The natural state of things is to follow God command if something is against the plan ( like in the bible story of the tree which Jesus killed ) is getting destroyed because it doesn't produce something for the scheme of things or it doesn't follow the grand plan.

Hell is not an invented place it's a state of being that was created or manifested when Lucifer fell.. it's a manifestation of rejecting God.
Souls that reject God and do more harm than bring harmony or co-create with God because they cannot be destroyed they're separated eternally in that state.
It is basically a state of being outside God, outside any creation of God, outside any interference with God.
>>
God is the greatest joy and mortal sin is something completely contrary to God. If you die in mortal sin, you are eternally separated from God, which is the worst thing that can happen to humans.
>>
>>447882
God knows all the choices he will make too, that doesn't mean he doesn't have free will.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.