[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm into war and the strategies that have been used in those
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: 131315164185.jpg (115 KB, 1000x652) Image search: [Google]
131315164185.jpg
115 KB, 1000x652
I'm into war and the strategies that have been used in those wars. Should I just grab random history books or do you guys know any specific, good literature on this topic?

Please no Sun Tzu The Art of War.
>>
File: Nigel-Farage (9).jpg (27 KB, 615x410) Image search: [Google]
Nigel-Farage (9).jpg
27 KB, 615x410
>>442545
If you're into World War 2 there are literally billions of books written by and about the german tank commanders. Almost all of them use primary (and thus obviously biased) sources.

Try Erich von Mansteins "Lost Victories". Although beware, he holds on to the now disputed theory that "had Hitler just left the generals to it, the germans would would have won".
>>
File: farage-pint2.gif (1 MB, 440x309) Image search: [Google]
farage-pint2.gif
1 MB, 440x309
>>442545

Forgot this, sorry;

Furthermore the Byzantines wrote a number of military manuals on the subject. These are all situational of course and deal exclusively with how to fight the enemies of the Byzantines and nothing more. The most famous is the Strategikon by some dude named Maurice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_military_manuals

Also,
Machiavelli wrote a book called the Art of War which I haven't read. It supposedly deals with the specific situation in Italy during his lifetime.
>>
>>442545
>I'm into war
So, start fighting with yourself. And try killing him.
>>
>>442545
If you're into Ancient Greece I would recommand Victor Davis Hanson's "The Western way of War"
>>
Get a decent book on ww1. Not one of the overally emotive anti war ones from the 1960's. It wasn't as simple as zerg rush and artillery. Try lawerance of arabias book, he pretty much taught the Arabs the method of war they use till today.

Ignore ww2 and look at some of the less known ones. South American independence war, Malaysian emergency etc etc.

Try reading/listening to the war nerd podcast.

Be objective, realise that being born to a particular nation says nothing about their ability at war. Realise that much of what is said about various wars is biased and attempting to big up a particular nations role.
>>
>>442545

Read army field manuals

De re militari
>>
Infrantry Attacks by Erwin Rommel.

One of the best generals in World War 2 talking about some of the tactics used in World War 1. Trench warfare, maneuvering, etc. using actual battles he was in to illustrate them.

Patton read it.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 128x187) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 128x187
I enjoyed Extreme War
>>
>>442987

Infantry. Whoops.
>>
>>442942
Just checked that war nerd guys page. He looks like a Fucking idiot. Spouting off that a10 is better than the f35 shit.
>>
>>442987
>Patton read it
Before, during, or after their clash of minds?
>>
>>443043
Gavin > *
>>
>>442567
But I hold that theory right nao. Please do my work for me and enlighten me.
>>
>>443048

I'm not sure. I know he was writing a book about tank warfare before they killed him. Most of what he had written is in The Rommel Papers.
>>
>>442545
Strategikon of Maurice and a load of other byzantine manuals >>442578
There is one book that has translations of three of them.

Vegetius is another important one for Medieval warfare
The Knights Templars rule/book has a load of work on medieval cavalry and was widely read too.

If you want a really good secondary source on medieval warfare I suggest: http://www.amazon.com/Warfare-Western-Europe-Century-History/dp/0851155707

Machiavelli wrote a book on warfare but it's complete horseshit for the most part, he correctly recognizes some trends but then goes on to suggest Europeans should return to Roman manupular/cohort and completely fucks up on Roman history, thank god no one did what he wrote.
>>
The Indian Militia, by Bernardo de Vargas.

It's completely obsolete because it was written for conquistadors in the 16th century as a guide for fighting Native Americans and surviving in the rain forests and jungles of South America, but it's a fascinating insight into the world of combat in that day and age, as well as the survival techniques of the time. It also comes (at least my copy does) with a huge number of sketches and drawings by the author himself.
>>
>>443043
Try the podcast or read in greater depth. He generally doesn't talk about equipment so it would be out of place to make such comments.
>>
>>443043
Also don't be one of these idiots who thinks war boils down to who has the most expensive equipment
>>
File: 0742039.jpg (462 KB, 636x1089) Image search: [Google]
0742039.jpg
462 KB, 636x1089
>>442578
>and deal exclusively with how to fight the enemies of the Byzantines
not all their enemies

>>442545
All I've got is Cyrus the Great by Xenophon
>>
>>442545
Carl von Clausewitz - On War

There is no way around it.
>>
>>442578
I own the Strategikon. Read it, it's good.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.