[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is social beauty standards a meme? I agree that they vary, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: Women_through_time.jpg (730 KB, 630x3965) Image search: [Google]
Women_through_time.jpg
730 KB, 630x3965
is social beauty standards a meme?
I agree that they vary, but not to any significant degree, it seems to me that most core values are pretty damn consistent and all claims otherwise are rather unscientific extrapolations based on little evidence.
>>
Taste is taste and can vary wildly but underneath whatever social constructs of beauty exist (for example, in several countries blackened teeth were considered a beautiful trait for women) is the dick and the lizard-brain doing whatever the fuck they want which is why it's as easy for an Emperor to get a diamond-cutter from some bright-eyed peasant girl bending over in a field as his extensive stable of literally the best pussy available.
>>
It's hard to say. For a good chunk of history people were looking to a past definition of beauty (see: Renaissance, Romanticists, etc), so we would need to look at what the original definition was and how that came to be. If we, for example, take Grecian standards, there wasn't nearly enough food to be obese, so their definition of beauty is skewed compared to our modern lifestyle or standards. If you break it down further to "just skinny people", there are a wide number of different types of beauty in your image, noticeably facial structure, skin tone, social class, and beliefs.

Point being, your initial claim that beauty standards have been consistent is, at best, grossly disingenuous and lacking context.
>>
My personal observation was that beauty is like a materialization of something that is symbolic, emotional and practical in which the exact identity or emphasis of those essences are constructed by individual and groups from their own experience and reflections. Just like how certain social issues may be more important or relevant to a number of people and lesser so to others, it is practical and ideal to strive to act towards the resolution of those issues. So yes, I think I'm putting more emphasis on superego than id in Freudian term when it comes to beauty and thus it should be divided into groups of people who had similar standard of beauties and their common social or personal characteristics. Speaking of which, I'm not very familiar with studies on beauty, so is there any interesting reads relating to this?
>>
All men like women with an hourglass figure. This has been tested numerous times. There are basic things your brain looks for, going down a "is she good to breed with" list. Wide hips, large butt, large breasts, and thin get all men going.

Other than that it's all over the fucking place. Some groups in Africa find women who are fat to be attractive. The Japs uses to blacken teeth. Europe has fucktons of historical fashion trends and hair styles, as do China and the Middle East. Other than the basic checklist of "can she pop out babies and feed them" beauty is incredibly subjective.

At no point in time have tumblrina landwhales ever been "beautiful" however. Reubens was a comedian who popped chubbies over farting and drew fat nobility.
>>
Wait, when we say beauty, are we talking about 'I want to fuck her' or 'I want to marry her'?
>>
>>577004
they are very much the same thing
>>
>>577006
You don't want to marry someone with coloured hair and piercings
>>
>>576954
>large breasts, and thin get all men going.
False. The attractiveness general hourglass figure does cross cultures, though.

Wide hips, tight shoulders and tighter midsection are what we are programmed to see as a female form.

http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html
>>
>>577006
They're different things.
>>
>>577011
I don't want to fuck them either.
>>
>>577006
Kek no offense but how old are you?>>577022
I think he meant any of those traits, not combined.
>>577011
Depends on where the tats and piercings are, bruh

I believe beauty is a real thing, comes in many shapes and sizes. Sexual attraction and preference are what a skew the judgements from multitudes of people.

That moment where you go, "oh yeah, she's definitely good looking, just not my type".
>>
>>577060
I'm 22
>>
>>577046
Many do.
>>
>>577024
How are they different things?

If you mean shit like "I would fuck a fat girl but wouldn't want my friends to know about it", that's just your standards not lining up with the majority.
>>
File: marilyn.png (390 KB, 531x776) Image search: [Google]
marilyn.png
390 KB, 531x776
Speaking of: where did the Marilyn-as-an-icon-to-the-overweight thing come from?
>>
File: Twiggy-2.jpg (170 KB, 930x1571) Image search: [Google]
Twiggy-2.jpg
170 KB, 930x1571
>>577210
During the Twiggy years. Seriously, Twiggy caused so much anal devastation to landwhales you can experience the ripples even now.
>>
>>577187
"I want to fuck that fat girl and never encounter her ever again unless it's for sex" and "I want to marry this skinny girl and have the rest of my future with her" are quite different to me.
>>
>>577263
If he's attracted to fatties and he wants to marry the skinny girl, it's because of social pressure or convenience rather than his beauty standards.
>>
>>577269
Not that anon though but your point definitely does apply as marriage is often a public thing also relating to current availability and convenience. Unfortunately, as for me, I've never quite read any topics regarding this and can only speak from my personal experience that I often find hourglass body type to be sexually attractive, but I have fell in love with few non-hourglass women with some similar personality traits than this physical traits. And also observed similar trends in my friends as well. So I feel skeptical about your claim that it is simply because of social pressure or convenience.
>>
>>577269

I think it's more in a "I'll eat McDonald's if it's all we have but I'd much rather have a good steak" sense. Like how you'd be willing to put up with an annoying personality to get a one night stand but you wouldn't put up with it in a relationship

I can also say that there's plenty of people that I find to be beautiful but not necessarily attractive and vice versa
>>
>>577600
>"I'll eat McDonald's if it's all we have but I'd much rather have a good steak"
Well there's that joke that people who fuck fat women settle for them because they have no other options, which is not entirely correct considering fat fetishism exists.
>>
Male beauty standards have always been the same.
>>
File: Louis-XIII.jpg (60 KB, 566x598) Image search: [Google]
Louis-XIII.jpg
60 KB, 566x598
>>577643
>Implying
>>
>>577269
What's wrong with liking a fuck fat girls because they have low self esteem and will do anything but wanting a healthy size wife that can actually do things with you without complaining "muh thyroids"
>>
>>577654
He is hot.
>>
>>576256
There is a biological component that cannot be undermined but what was considered aesthetically pleasing has changed over the years, and still is.
>>
>>577655
I'm saying some people prefer fat women precisely because they're fat.
>>
>>577643
It absolutely wasn't, it's slowly gravitating towards neoteny and it has objective evolutionary reasons.
>>
>>577667
That's a trend, not what defines the beauty standard of our period. we just live in an age with more varied taste. But being rich and powerful is still universally considered attractive in men and always has been
>>
>>577665
Prefer them for sex, companionship, or marriage?

Preference comes in many forms, and your generalization is the problem.

Everything has its purpose.
>>
>>577676
Absolutely, I was talking more about physical characteristics though.
>>
>>577687
Beauty standards are beauty standards, they don't have to be physical.
>>
>>577687
Could you not make an argument that physical characteristics in the past have at least in part been considered attractive due to the fact that they were symbols of power in themselves, rather than because of their physical appearance? ie in societies where physical strength has led to power and prestige there has been more emphasis on these characteristics than today because power and prestige today dont rely on physical strength? I hope that makes sense
>>
File: 1439422476099.jpg (310 KB, 1105x862) Image search: [Google]
1439422476099.jpg
310 KB, 1105x862
>>
>>577712
Physical attraction is always based in some kinda practical factor. We are naturally attracted to strong men because they're more capable of defending and providing and men are attracted to clear-skinned widehipped women because they're more likely to make it through child-birth and so on.
>>
>>577667
>neoteny
Well, that certainly gives me some hope with women!
But how about female beauty? Do they also gravitate towards neoteny as well?
>>
>>577738

That's what femininity is to some extent
>>
>>576256
>is social beauty standards a meme?
No, it exists but it's used by dishonest people to push a political agenda.

Also it's one of many factors, and far from the most important one.

Koinophilia (averageness)
Neoteny (youthfulness)
Health (varies slightly by culture)
Fertility (varies slightly by culture)
Social beauty standards (fetishes, fashions, etc. entirely culture based)
personal preference/uniqueness/"interestingness" (highly subjective)
>>
>>577962
>is social beauty standards a meme?
>No, it exists but it's used by dishonest people to push a political agenda.
That's what meme fucking means. a distortion of meaning through use for different agendas.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.