[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If most cowboys were black,native american, and Mexican then
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: download (57).jpg (13 KB, 212x238) Image search: [Google]
download (57).jpg
13 KB, 212x238
If most cowboys were black,native american, and Mexican then when did the image of cowboys start to become "white washed"
>>
>>441307
Good question, I'd like an answer to this.

>>441319
Kill yourself /pol/io
>>
>>441319
The term "cracka" comes from the nickname for guides in Louisiana who would use whips to kill snakes in the wild.
>>
What is so cool about cowboys?

They're just glorified shepherds
>>
>>441338
Really? It isn't a lie
>>
>>441347
Yea most were black, Native American, and Mexican
>>
>>441336
Its the whole mythology behind it. Its not just a job.
>>
>>441336
Americans have always had a hard-on for the frontier. When we were conquering the west, a lot of dime novels etc were being printed and sold back in the east and midwest and it sort of developed a mythology of its own. Cowboys were a part of that.
>>
>>441307
i'd imagine it has to do with hollywood not wanting to cast blacks, native americans, and mexicans in star roles.
>>
File: 1851_colt_navy_london.jpg (17 KB, 640x273) Image search: [Google]
1851_colt_navy_london.jpg
17 KB, 640x273
>>441336
because popular culture made them fuckin cool.
>>
I've heard that the whole "most cowboys were black" thing was a feel good revisionism. It was mostly Mexicans and white people.
>>
According to census records, blacks and Mexicans made up about 30-50% of all cowboys combined. The rest would have been white.
>>
>>441330
>>441335
>>441342
>>441349

What did he say? Also, this >>441408 is a decent guess.
>>
It's not like it was a glamourous job. I believe it.
>>
I always figured that it was mostly Mexicans
>>
>>441307
after the civil war, a lot of down and out veterans went west and created political pressure to get rid of colored cowboys so whites could get jobs. they were largely successful in this and for a long stretch of time it became a mostly white field. since the specific era of the frontier's long history that became famous in popular consciousness was the 1865-1890 period, this meant that america fell in love with the cowboy during a time when the cowboy profession was mostly white.

there were still colored cowboys but nobody back east wanted to read about them. though in the early age of film there was a popular genre of silent westerns marketed to black audiences featuring all-black casts. this genre is completely forgotten today and didn't really leave a lasting impression on black culture, but it was successful at the time and some of those movies would occasionally be played on the turner classic movie channel when it was still around in the late 00s
>>
File: UolIJJx.png (556 KB, 1024x1292) Image search: [Google]
UolIJJx.png
556 KB, 1024x1292
>most cowboys were black,native american, and Mexican
srs?
>>
Cool thread. Didn't know this.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.